Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Movie news, trivia and other snippets

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Old 02-05-2020, 13:27   #106
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: Movie news, trivia and other snippets

Yeah I'm not paying that much for a rental. I'd rather go cinema and spend roughly that amount on a better experience.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2020, 20:30   #107
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
China chains need to take note, the world is changing and they need to adapt.

Releasing a movie on demand the same day as a cinema release, will not harm them that much. Not everyone will want to order a film for rental at £15 a pop. Many will still want to see on the big screen.

At the end of the day boycotting a studio will only harm themselves and their profits.
They're already in trouble, if they lose the exclusivity window then they're finished. The studios already strong-arm cinemas into taking progressively less and less money from ticket sales and ones like Disney even try to dictate how many screens they have for their films with the threat of withholding films like Star Wars if they don't comply.

If the studios get their way the multiplex will die. Independent and smaller cinemas like Curzon will survive as their audience likes the cinema experience and watches smaller films but the huge, 20 screen, mega-cinemas operate at scale.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 22:50   #108
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If the studios get their way the multiplex will die.
That seems unlikely, and rather self defeating.
If they vanished around here, I would stop going to the cinema.

So how is less customers helpful to them ?
I certainly wont be rushing to pay and watch them at home.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 00:53   #109
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

No matter which way you look at it it is bad for the cinemas. People like you and I may still make the effort to go to the cinema but I imagine at least half the time families will think twice and try and stay in with children and say they'll get a pizza from Asda and some sweets and have a cinema at home and save a fortune. The chances of everybody still going to the cinema and nobody watching vod on release is 0 so cinemas are going to lose money, it is just a question of whether it is 5% of your customers, 10% or I would say more likely 20%.

Unless you are a movie fan most people only go to the cinema a few times a year to see the big films so when other films come round that you could perhaps you could compromise on you are going to do it and this year's film list has many examples. Without going through all of them, I think we can all agree that we would have been happy watching Underwater, Fantasy Island and The Invisible Man at home at not venturing out to the cinema for it for all the expense it incurs.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 15:01   #110
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
That seems unlikely, and rather self defeating.
If they vanished around here, I would stop going to the cinema.

So how is less customers helpful to them ?
I certainly wont be rushing to pay and watch them at home.
Well that's what the cinemas are hoping will happen and maintaining the exclusivity window helps that.

But if the studios can get away with selling £15 rentals at sufficient demand then that's more profitable for them. Studios would prefer to maintain as much control over the distribution of their product as possible, it's why Disney use their leverage to make demands of how many showings their films get.

The internet gives them this control. Disney have been given one more element of control in the distribution of their product with Disney+. At the moment they still need cinemas because more people watch these films in theatres but it's not a given it'll stay that way.

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
No matter which way you look at it it is bad for the cinemas. People like you and I may still make the effort to go to the cinema but I imagine at least half the time families will think twice and try and stay in with children and say they'll get a pizza from Asda and some sweets and have a cinema at home and save a fortune. The chances of everybody still going to the cinema and nobody watching vod on release is 0 so cinemas are going to lose money, it is just a question of whether it is 5% of your customers, 10% or I would say more likely 20%.

Unless you are a movie fan most people only go to the cinema a few times a year to see the big films so when other films come round that you could perhaps you could compromise on you are going to do it and this year's film list has many examples. Without going through all of them, I think we can all agree that we would have been happy watching Underwater, Fantasy Island and The Invisible Man at home at not venturing out to the cinema for it for all the expense it incurs.
I don't think cinemas will die out. I just think they'll become more like book shops where the giant chains of huge stores died out but smaller independent chains who offer a more tailored experience survive. The huge cinemas with in excess of 20 screens and a big car park are at more risk than the smaller cinemas that offer different films alongside the blockbusters.

Look at Curzon. They'll probably be OK (assuming COVID-19 doesn't do it in).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:17   #111
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

A couple of interesting bits of information:

1)The next live action Transformers movie is in the works and due to be released in 2022

2) John Wick which was originally planned for release alongside the new Matrix film next year has been pushed back to 2022

3) I recently posted a trailer for Extraction, it is a Netflix film starring Chris Hemsworth and made by the Russo brothers who did Avengers Infinity War etc. It has been an enormous success and is currently the most popular film on the planet and Netflix's biggest film ever. I am well chuffed for them as it will encourage Netflix and other studios to throw money at them in the future to make more quality series and films.
Old 05-05-2020, 13:32   #112
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

The Vue chief Tim Richards believes UK cinemas could reopen as early as mid-July in time for the launch of the latest Christopher Nolan film.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...says-vue-boss/

Quote:
“We can actually control how many people go into our cinema at any given time. We have the ability to schedule our films separately and we have the ability to control entrances and exits for customers.
Quote:
“We have operating systems in place today which allow social distancing and cocooning within the cinema for couples, individuals or families who want to watch a movie.”
Old 05-05-2020, 13:49   #113
General Maximus
Ran Away

That's good news. A lot of people are looking forward to Tenet. If anything I would have thought cinemas would be the easiest social venues to reopen because they have structured seating which can be adjusted and social seating enforced. It is like Battleships, you just block off (prevent them from being booked on the computer) all the squares (seats) around one square.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking at that and thinking of the seat width in the cinema it might actually have to be two seats spaces between people so you are probably looking at 35% screen capacity but tbh during the day and most weekday evenings that is probably what you get anyway. I deliberately go to the cinema a weekday around lunchtime so everyone is at work, at school or having lunch and there are literally a handful of people in the screen. The other two big ones I was looking forward to over summer was Top Gun and Blockbusters but Top Gun has been banged back to December and Ghostbusters next year

Last edited by General Maximus; 05-05-2020 at 13:57.
Old 05-05-2020, 22:35   #114
General Maximus
Ran Away

Demolition Man 2 in the works, lets hope they get Sandra Bullock back as well.

The Borderlands series of video games is being adapted for a movie which I think is going to be AWESOME.
Old 05-05-2020, 23:06   #115
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
That's good news. A lot of people are looking forward to Tenet. If anything I would have thought cinemas would be the easiest social venues to reopen because they have structured seating which can be adjusted and social seating enforced. It is like Battleships, you just block off (prevent them from being booked on the computer) all the squares (seats) around one square.

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking at that and thinking of the seat width in the cinema it might actually have to be two seats spaces between people so you are probably looking at 35% screen capacity but tbh during the day and most weekday evenings that is probably what you get anyway. I deliberately go to the cinema a weekday around lunchtime so everyone is at work, at school or having lunch and there are literally a handful of people in the screen. The other two big ones I was looking forward to over summer was Top Gun and Blockbusters but Top Gun has been banged back to December and Ghostbusters next year
Your layout sucks, what's wrong with this one?

PxPxPxPxPxPxP
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xPxPxPxPxPxPx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
PxPxPxPxPxPxP
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 13:38   #116
General Maximus
Ran Away

A excellent demonstration of pythagoras theorem
Old 19-05-2020, 12:48   #117
General Maximus
Ran Away

It looks like a Scream continuation is in the works. I loved those films as they were the only horrors I can stomach as they have got normal killable bad guys. I hope they can get Neve Campbell back for it as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...launch-1294991
Old 19-05-2020, 17:51   #118
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It looks like a Scream continuation is in the works. I loved those films as they were the only horrors I can stomach as they have got normal killable bad guys. I hope they can get Neve Campbell back for it as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...launch-1294991
Did you not like the older horror films like Halloween , Nightmare on Elm Street , Hellraiser etc , etc.
Old 21-05-2020, 11:16   #119
General Maximus
Ran Away

nope, can't stand them. "all my fiends are dying and I know I am next but oh.....what's that?...…. a strange noise down that pitch black alley...….let me go and investigate by myself with no weapon"
Old 21-05-2020, 11:25   #120
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Scream was such a clever movie. It took the typical slasher film and was one of the first meta horror films. It made the plot so much more interesting and not as obvious. Made you think about it a bit more. It wasn't just a bad person or an evil force. It was pretty clever.