Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM admit that STM hours vary without notice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM admit that STM hours vary without notice

Old 24-03-2008, 15:08   #46
TraxData

Services: 25/25 Symetrical.
Re: VM admit that STM hours vary without notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
There are 5 people in my house. They all watch different things at different times of the day. A good HD TV ep runs in at 9 gig. Then there is streaming TV from 4Od and the BBC. Then Youtube and the likes, It all mounts up when there are 5 users using the connect. And before you get on your high horse the users are my wife, and 3 kids and the youngest of those is 19 years old.

I don't upload on torrents there far to insecure, i only use Newsgroups.

If VM decided to drop the unlimited then yes i would leave complete with my 2 TV drives with the full package and phone. There is always Beunlimited, BT, Sky
Nah, a good HD tv ep runs in at 17gig (take caps from CTV for example, one lost episode is 14-15gig..sometimes 20)

Then there is HD movies (including legal services)....some people seem to think we're still in the age of 100mb being a large download...
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2008, 15:13   #47
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxData View Post
Nah, a good HD tv ep runs in at 17gig (take caps from CTV for example, one lost episode is 14-15gig..sometimes 20)

Then there is HD movies (including legal services)....some people seem to think we're still in the age of 100mb being a large download...
Indeed

I do the 9 gig ones due to hard drive space. Aria in Manchester give me discount now on the amount of hard drives i buy.
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 16:29   #48
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

Quote:
So i take it that Virgin Media are wrong in your eye's then.

http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...r-april-267152

And i take it you want me off the network then./

Mar 23, 2008 (Sun)
Mar 24, 2008 (Mon) 14.58 GB

Mar 16, 2008 (Sun)
Mar 22, 2008 (Sat) 121.73 GB

Mar 9, 2008 (Sun)
Mar 15, 2008 (Sat) 349.11 GB

Mar 2, 2008 (Sun)
Mar 8, 2008 (Sat) 214.04 GB

Feb 24, 2008 (Sun)
Mar 1, 2008 (Sat) 6.70 GB

Feb 17, 2008 (Sun)
Feb 23, 2008 (Sat) 163.50 GB

BTW

Most of that was HDtv epps that VM seem fit NOT to provide via there V+ HD box.

If VM decide to provide Linear HD channels then my bandwidth usage might reduce a bit. Until then i will have to get my HD fix via the usual locations
if i was running a buisness with limited bandwidth then yes i would kick you off,

i dont have any answers but the network is over-subscribed if the figures of the top 3% are true then i would kick those aswell but where do you stop??

you dont believe that article do you??
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 16:40   #49
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
if i was running a buisness with limited bandwidth then yes i would kick you off,

i dont have any answers but the network is over-subscribed if the figures of the top 3% are true then i would kick those aswell but where do you stop??

Should i not believe it. VM are telling us they need to sell our private data to a spyware company so they can improve my surfing so maybe i should believe everything they say ?

They seem to able to deliver here.

Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:40:14 GMT

Test 1: 1024K took 441 ms = 2322 KB/sec, approx 19133 Kbps, 18.68 Mbps
Test 2: 1024K took 442 ms = 2316.7 KB/sec, approx 19090 Kbps, 18.64 Mbps
Test 3: 1024K took 417 ms = 2455.6 KB/sec, approx 20234 Kbps, 19.76 Mbps
Test 4: 2048K took 901 ms = 2273 KB/sec, approx 18730 Kbps, 18.29 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 19297 Kbps, 18.84 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 16:46   #50
piggy
Inactive

i know your speed is good .....1000gb a month it needs to be!
Old 24-03-2008, 17:04   #51
AmAtoL
cf.addict

Services: 20 meg BB , 3 Samsung STB's, Landline, 4 Mobiles, V+ Box, UK Online 8 Meg
AmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enoughAmAtoL will become famous soon enough

Fair enough, 3 good answers
I'm not going to get on my high horse
It's just with all the increased services VM are offering/not offering and the limited bandwidth especially upload, I feel all this traffic is throttling me to the point of distraction. There are 3 of us using the net at night, and one son in particular can really bork my experience just by playing a Half Life mod. I don't know why exactly but he does even on the 20 meg.
I'm even considering getting my BT line reactivated just for gaming, heaven knows if it will be any better, but with summer hols coming up it calls for drastic measures.
If the other lad does any P2P it kills my connection stone dead, can't even do any browsing. I just think of that on a larger scale and think wtf is going on here.
AmAtoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 18:40   #52
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmAtoL View Post
Fair enough, 3 good answers
I'm not going to get on my high horse
It's just with all the increased services VM are offering/not offering and the limited bandwidth especially upload, I feel all this traffic is throttling me to the point of distraction. There are 3 of us using the net at night, and one son in particular can really bork my experience just by playing a Half Life mod. I don't know why exactly but he does even on the 20 meg.
I'm even considering getting my BT line reactivated just for gaming, heaven knows if it will be any better, but with summer hols coming up it calls for drastic measures.
If the other lad does any P2P it kills my connection stone dead, can't even do any browsing. I just think of that on a larger scale and think wtf is going on here.
Probably Garrys Mod 10, a LOT of models to be updated all the time over the net can kill a good connection. Even one with decent upload.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 19:14   #53
Mad Ad
Inactive

Mad Ad is on a distinguished roadMad Ad is on a distinguished road

No i think it might be TF2

/me waves at Ama

I know how you all feel. I was throttled (STMed) on XL at about 4.30PM some weeks ago, support confirmed it. However I was running DU meter on the NIC connected to the CM which metered only 642MB in the whole 4-5 hour.

I was ****ed naturally, and hoped that it was a one off fault, however its slowly beginning to look like they started this new 'secret trial' back then, and I was just the first to notice.

I was tanning the download before 4pm that day, to get ready for management so it all makes sense now.

No matter, they can stick their triple play harshly managed phormerated rubbish where the sun doesnt shine, replacement line should be fixed tomorrow. Shame, because I dont want to leave, moving phones is a hassle, moving emails and webspace is a hassle, and ill miss the TVOD but they messed with my BB so this is what happens.
Mad Ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 19:21   #54
bonzoe
cf.mega poster

bonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud ofbonzoe has much to be proud of

There's a lot of talk of "only for area's that are really oversubscribed". Well, if they are oversubscribed VM are getting in the ££££s for that area so I hope that these are the areas to be upgraded FIRST.

Not that my area "appears" to be oversubcribed!
bonzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 19:33   #55
Mad Ad
Inactive

Mad Ad is on a distinguished roadMad Ad is on a distinguished road

No my area never has been, if i set up a source that i can get 2.5MB/s (XL max) from then thats what it delivers.

Infact I only upgraded to XL after xmas because they'd STMed the life out of my rock solid 4meg that id had for years.
Mad Ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:10   #56
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto
OK, never heard of that expression before. I'm Welsh, A rugby fan.
So, VM actually getting rid of high users, now there's a PR disaster in the making.
Quote:
imo it would a very good move downloading whores should be banned no isp needs/wants them the only problem is what is a acceptable figure!! (ill get my coat )
well it is my 2000th post so i thought i might as well make it a long informed one

well you have obviously not thought this through in any reasonable way.

Toto is exactly right, a disaster waiting to happen, did you not see Virgin Media taking full advantage of the ASA ruling by currently advertising "fibre optic cable network" all over the show?

Virgin Media advertise we have the newest, fastest,best unlimited broadband fibre blitz ,then kick the top 3% or whatever because they cant take the download hit Hmmm.

so its your informed opinion that some users are taking full advantage of their payed for service, and in doing so are taking your bandwidth due to lack of capacity, your so called 'downloading whores'.

so it must be assumed that the capacity problem if any, cant be in the Virgin Media core backbone due to the old April 2nd 2007 announcement, i covered here.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...l#post34476302
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...86&newsLang=en
"
Virgin Media provides high quality digital TV, Internet and telephone services to nearly 3 million subscribers throughout the UK.

In addition to supporting all of its own broadband customers, Virgin Media also leases capacity on its core network to several of the UK’s leading ISPs, so the Juniper Networks T-series will be supporting an expansive network capable of delivering Internet-based communications services to more
than 12 million UK homes (more than 50 percent of the total households in the UK), and 85 percent of UK businesses.

“Service reliability, throughput speed and scalable capacity are the main criteria that will enable a successful roll-out of next-generation network services in both the immediate future and in the long term,” said Rob Sim, Head of Network Architecture at Virgin Media.

“We wanted to put support for 40G in place now, and both the T640 and TX Matrix platforms from Juniper enable us to support 40G as soon as needed.

Also, as the capacity demands on our network grow, we can easily upgrade the T640 to TX Matrix as required, whilst maintaining both operational and service consistency without an operating system change.”
"

so the problem you might think, would be at the edge, and in Virgin Media's case thats the UBR cards,yes...

well guess what, the price of these cards/port price have been and are droping like a stone.

not only that, but they are getting far more up and down ports due to the Docsis 2.0b/pre3.0 push and i covered that here.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10...l#post34470723
http://www.lightreading.com/document...&page_number=1
"CMTS Downstream Prices PlummetDECEMBER 28, 2007
Timing is everything.

Just as cable operators prepare to test and launch Internet services with speedier downstream capabilities, the top three providers of cable modem termination system (CMTS) gear -- Cisco Systems Inc. (Nasdaq: CSCO - message board), Arris Group Inc. (Nasdaq: ARRS - message board), and Motorola Inc. (NYSE: MOT - message board) -- have developed, or are in the process of developing, new downstream-heavy modules that snap into their widely deployed CMTS chassis. Along with denser downstream footprints, these new cards are also having a profound effect on CMTS pricing.

CMTS downstream port prices are "dropping like a rock," says Patti Reali, an analyst with Gartner Inc. In the early going, much of that trend, she notes, is being driven by Cisco and its development of a special module/linecard. That card, dubbed the Shared Port Adapter (SPA), fits into Cisco's flagship CMTS, the uBR10012.

But the story doesn't start and end with Cisco. Although the CMTS market leader can already point to trials and deployments for its downstream-heavy module, Motorola is gathering steam with its entry, the TX32. Meanwhile, Arris, which is making a run at increased CMTS market share, tells Cable Digital News that it has a new, specialized CMTS card in the making.

While the minimum configuration for Docsis 3.0 calls for the bonding of at least four upstream and four downstream channels, most operators are expected to begin their migration to 3.0-based services by bonding downstream channels.
"
so..., if for every single users payments per month, Virgin Media are taking x% out for re-investment into the network,
then these drops in UBR card prices means they can infact buy far more cards for the same cash outlay, and yet get even more ports per card.

a win/win it might seem for everyone especially the users, IF VM are infact spending this same set aside re-investment cash for that purpose,yes?

however, we now hear that virgin Media PR have to find a way to pay yet another high profile US star actor advertising blitz
(mick missed that one for the front page news BTW) alongside the already payed for condescending Uma Thurman and iritating ruby wax adverts.

you have to wonder what they will have him say to try and sell you more VM product .

that not withstanding, its yet another outgoing that has to come out of your consumers monthy fees, will it perhaps be taken from the VM re-investment cash and interest?

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/...-virgin-media/
"Samuel L. Jackson has been named as the new face of British cable TV company Virgin Media."
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/money/c...9520-20335371/
"Virgin Media is pinning hopes on Hollywood star Samuel L Jackson after racking up heavy losses at the end of last year.
The UK's second biggest pay TV operator has hired the Pulp Fiction star to plug its video-on-demand service."

OK,so to move on...
its a good job (some might say,or not...)the whole UK only have Virgin Media now as its (cable) supplyer, as it means
they own the whole Network end to end,and so any good choices they make are good all round, OC VM seem only good at making bad choices, but thats beside the point for now

would you like to be in the position the Canadian vendors now find themselves in here
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/B...ell-Them-92915
Bell Canada Throttles Wholesalers, Doesn't Bother To Tell Them
09:30AM Monday Mar 24 2008 by Karl
"...Bell Canada is throttling traffic before it reaches wholesale partners. According to Teksavvy CEO Rocky Gaudrault..."
and here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r201...xia-throttling
how long before they are taken to arbitration or court i wonder?, because thats what your suposed to do when you arnt getting what you contract and pay for right!....

moving on....
given that the above virgin media re-investment, core network, and new and improved UBR Edge cards are infact still in place, and now vm have got rid of/lost one of the internal slackers, and replaced them with Andrew Barron as its managing director of strategy to help exploit its "natural advantages".
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...ategy.html?rss
he says
"Virgin Media has some important natural advantages that we are determined to exploit in order to grow our business and deliver a genuinely
differentiated proposition that meets consumers’ changing expectations," said Berkett. "Andrew’s experience will be invaluable in helping us meet this
challenge."

how might they do that?...., if your (OC you are) going to point out the P2p/torrent users are using (downloading whores/leaching,etc) all this external capacity, then its perfectly obvious to those people that have infact given this some real thought....

apparently you didnt give it any thought, and want to kick the cash paying customers that pay the company bills etc.

stop blaming the paying users...,they are paying into your re-investment fund continuesly month on month.

stop trying to compensate for this past lack of real long term system investment per head, by paying for yet another multi million ad blitz, and just use that money to buy far more of the friggin UBR cards and kit, fit them and re-seg....as you should have been doing all along.

these are just the tip of the iceberg OC, how might Andrew Barron (and associates), the new MD of strategy deal with this external bandwidth cost problem on the cheap, alongside the other investments already outlined, he must like that idea
as it makes him far more productive right?...

the most obvious first:
set aside a tiny amount of cash in comparison to the other outlays and pay some internal VM and external code developers to actually look at the freely available P2p/Torrent codebase and really help extend and improve it's effectivness with some real code contribution from the ISPs and do it NOW.

how, and what options are needed, thats easy...
1: tweak and extend its DHT code to make sure it does 'best effort' to keep the torrent swarm (in this order)inside the LAN,then the WAN, then the UBR segment, the ISP segment,the Internal ISP core,the fastest peered other ISPs,less fast peered,the national Co-location sites,
international...

it might need a little tweak here and there on the last parts, and you need to allow for pulling in and given out the less popular content etc, but overall its going to save a lot of external costs with just a small sweak of that one simple DHT code for virtually no cost but time of your
internal and exteranl coders, just do it.

2: my long favoured option, but it will take a little more effort on the ISPs and coders part, is pay for the coders to retrofit Multicast DHT and related code and protocols into the free P2p/Torrent java AZ codebase using, and adapting parts of the existing code and protocols (Bamboo,Mtunnel,all the old MBONE etc) or write your own, and release it under the same free licence as the AZ java codebase.

the biggy for Virgin Media with its 52% UK cable coverage, and the other ISPs it seems, is reactivating multicasting on all the existing internal routers and related kit, all the way to the end users.

you need to do this (re-activate) Multicast anyway for the new Docsis3 kit as its mandatory, but if you cant bring yourself to do that quickly (as a trial perhaps,sign me up) for the old IPv4 stacks and kit (you can though) then get your payed coders to add that Multicast tunneling capability iv been asking for directly into the java codebase for use by your extended Multicast P2p/Torrent DHT code, if direct Multicast isnt (currently if ever) available to the users or their ISP werever in the world that might be.

if your (post Mbone defeatest)coders say it cant be done, get yourself some new ones, and drag that old Mbone multicast CANDO thinking into the P2p age.

only after you have done 2 (because long term, its in everyones best interests, including the users) and 1 should you move on to
3: install and use the already existing torrent cacheing kit
"BitTorrent, Inc. has actively pursued commercial ventures with CacheLogic. CacheLogic is an ISP solution firm which seeks to lessen the bandwidth burden placed on networks by caching P2P traffic.

Caching servers, which are hosted by the ISP, maintains the most popular and most queried traffic. Instead of the BitTorrent client utilizing the ISP's external bandwidth to obtain the required file(s), traffic is contained between the cache server and the end user. In other words, the traffic is
maintained within the ISPs internal network, which is considerably cheaper than handling external traffic."

DONT just jump directly on 3: as it appears to be your simple quick fix answer...., really consider 1 and especially 2 please.

other bits, what goes for the P2p/torrent above also goes for the usenet (by far the bigger download user)put back the binary code caches and internal/directly peered (fater the better OC) news groups to include many of the most popular (you know which OC ).

you might be thinking ,the ISPs cant do internal/fast direct peered P2p/Torrent/NG binary cacheing as they are then breaking some law!.

Not so, as they are covered directly by the EU E-Commerce Directive European law
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...00L0031:EN:NOT

Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are intermediaries. They are not, in law, responsible for what internet users do,
at least until this Phorm thing came along and they signed the contract.

OC it might be that the Phorm contracted ISPs covering 70% of the whole UK Broadband market, appear to infact be relinquishing their legal right to said intermediaries/E-Commerce Directive protection, now that they have infact signed comercial contracts with this 3rd party Phorm, to freely enter into 'a general obligation to monitor the network' but thats a whole new ball game and doesnt cancel out the above options to lessen or do away with throttling all together and improve everyones lot does it.

popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:43   #57
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

@ popper

Bah, you beat me to 2000 AND there is no way I could bable on like that either.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2008, 20:47   #58
TraxData

Quote:

So you'd oversell a package, put "unlimited" everywhere..claiming you provider super fast BB...then kick people off if they actually use it to its potential? you wouldnt be in business long, could you imagine if VM kicked heavy users off...there goes all their profit!
Old 24-03-2008, 20:47   #59
piggy
Inactive

@popper

nice long post, but meanwhile in the real world the network is stuffed!!

pay as you go will be here sooner rather than later and i do believe a 1000gb would be a tad more than £37 a month

@traxdata

what profit?? if you factor in the loan repayments cable hasnt made a profit yet!!
Old 24-03-2008, 20:48   #60
TraxData

Quote:
Indeed

I do the 9 gig ones due to hard drive space. Aria in Manchester give me discount now on the amount of hard drives i buy.
I used to do the 9gig ones...i still do sometimes, depends what chan it has been capped off, anything off CBS is not worth it (quality is barely above SD imo). Fox isnt much better either.

I have too many hard drives, all fun, i forget where half of my files are