Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The return of the lb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The return of the lb

Old 29-05-2022, 17:04   #1
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
The return of the lb

Not sure if this is set to be permanent or just for the Jubilee but we may well be seeing the return of imperial measures

this government you give them and inch and they take a mile

They need beating with a yard stick I tell ya

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/28/boris...ilee-16729733/
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2022, 17:34   #2
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: The return of the lb

It's stupid but also a bit of a gimmick since it's only allowing stores to sell in imperial if they want to do so. Maybe they'll have both. I can't see us moving to imperial for the things which have been metric for so long, too many people have grown up with metric now and it's more intuitive than imperial unless you grew up with the latter.

To be honest I assume it was legal anyway since buying pints in pubs and so on.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 17:50   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

It’s difficult to know exactly what can change here … IIRC the changes that occurred around the turn of the millennium banned sales of goods by imperial measure only, with a very few exceptions (alcoholic drink traditionally served by the pint being one of them). You could still put imperial measurements on your price label but you were compelled to also put the metric equivalent. In practice this only really affected greengrocers and other sellers of loose goods as packaged goods had long included both metric and imperial units.

Seeing as anyone can put an imperial measure on their goods if they want, what’s really changing? Are they going to permit removal of the metric measures everyone under 50 was taught at school?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 18:53   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Selling petrol in gallons again would be eye watering - £7.90 per gallon.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 20:07   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Selling petrol in gallons again would be eye watering - £7.90 per gallon.

Where are you paying that, I filled up on the 4th May and paid £8.71 a gallon?
Old 29-05-2022, 20:15   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Nice round figure - 8 guineas per gallon…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 21:47   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Where are you paying that, I filled up on the 4th May and paid £8.71 a gallon?
My local Morrisons.

When I was in my last year at school, I worked at a petrol station, selling it at 75p a gallon.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 22:33   #8
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
My local Morrisons.

When I was in my last year at school, I worked at a petrol station, selling it at 75p a gallon.
When I worked at my local Esso garage, 8 gallons was £2:88, a pint of mild in the Spotted Cow was 10p and 10 Cambridge cigarettes ( with Green Shield stamps ) was 12.5p.
Old 30-05-2022, 08:53   #9
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

More testiculation*from Boris…. Imperial measurements never really went away.

*from testiculate, to wave one’s arms around whilst talking bo***cks
Old 30-05-2022, 09:28   #10
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I'm annoyed.After all the crap in trying to teach metrics instead of imperial along side imperial back in the last century Bobblehead is taking us back to a place of pain.
Old 30-05-2022, 09:43   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I'm annoyed.After all the crap in trying to teach metrics instead of imperial along side imperial back in the last century Bobblehead is taking us back to a place of pain.
Correct. When we first joined the EU, some people refused to display their prices in a different way from before and were eventually prosecuted for it. The law expects traders to use metric measurements, but permits imperial to be used alongside.

With Boris's new proposed measure, traders will be allowed to convert back to imperial, but given the fact you mention, that more recent generations have been taught only metric measurements, they will need to display both now as well if they don't want to confuse half the population.

Result: no change.

Nice one, Boris. Let's get back to levelling up, sorting out the economy and abolishing or changing the EU laws we still have that legitimately restrict trade. That's what will get you re-elected.
Old 30-05-2022, 10:13   #12
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Correct. When we first joined the EU, some people refused to display their prices in a different way from before and were eventually prosecuted for it. The law expects traders to use metric measurements, but permits imperial to be used
Wasn't even the EU, the rules were set when it was the EEC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_Martyrs

Quote:
In 2001 Steve Thoburn, the main defendant in the original case,[3] was convicted of two offences under the Weights and Measures Act 1985 of using weighing equipment that was not stamped by a Weights and Measures Inspector.[4] The stamps had been obliterated because the scales were not capable of weighing in the metric system as well as imperial, and hence were no longer permitted for commercial use
Old 30-05-2022, 10:45   #13
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Doesn't matter whether you use inches or centimetres, Johnson doesn't measure up for the job.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 10:50   #14
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Just another good old dead cat announcement. Imperial measurements were never banned just as crowns on pint (568ml) glasses were never banned. It's just some nonsense to give some a warm and fuzzy feeling while winding up 'remoaners' and setting off a nice culture war.

SI units and the derived metric system are well and truly here to stay. As others have pointed out, metric has been taught in schools for donkeys years. It also just makes sense - the relationship between different measurements is clear. There is a lot of legacy imperial units used in engineering and there are some fun mish mash measurements so you get 6mm tubing with 1" connectors and the like
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 11:14   #15
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
More testiculation*from Boris…. Imperial measurements never really went away.

*from testiculate, to wave one’s arms around whilst talking bo***cks
but they didn't did they?

For engineering (calculations etc), they definitely went away, but in everyday life........

I still weigh myself in Stones & Pounds

I measure my height in Feet and Inches

I drink pints

I recently bought some land was that measured in acres

My speedo reads mph, signs gives distances in miles.

I measure cold temperatures in Celsius and hot ones in Fahrenheit.

We as a nation are nominally bi-lingual between metric and imperial and happily use both depending on the scenario.