Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Remote control playing up.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Remote control playing up.

Old 07-04-2021, 23:43   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Remote control playing up.

My V6 has sometimes stopped responding to my remote control and I found I was having to press the command up to four times before it worked!

I assumed that this was because the batteries were running low, but have just replaced them with some new ones and the problem persists.

Could it be because the remote control is wearing out? I've had it since approx November 2016 and it's used a lot. If so, will VM supply me with a new one free of charge due to wear & tear?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2021, 23:46   #2
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Re: Remote control playing up.

Try here:
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...tv-control-app
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 00:18   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Before you order a new remote, try rebooting your V6. Also check the remote is still paired with the box (Help&Settings - Settings - Devices - Remote Control Pairing)

Are all of the buttons affected?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 14:04   #4
bishop84
cf.member

bishop84 is an unknown quantity at this point

If needed you can order a new remote via the website. Replaced my Tivo remote for free last weekend, took 5 days but I think the Easter holidays delayed the post as it was delivered via Royal Mail.
bishop84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 15:25   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Before you order a new remote, try rebooting your V6. Also check the remote is still paired with the box (Help&Settings - Settings - Devices - Remote Control Pairing)

Are all of the buttons affected?
Yes, all buttons are affected. I went through the pairing instructions and got a continuous red light on the remote that sometimes flashed until it eventually went off. No green light whatsoever!

I found this from a post on the Community Forum, is this worth trying when I can get someone who is able to bend down to where the V6 is?

Try this:

1. Press the Channel Down button on
the front of the Virgin TV V6 box for
10 seconds.
2. Then, hold the Info button down on the
remote for 7 seconds.
3. The light in the top of the remote will
flash green twice.
4. Your remote is now paired, so it'll work
even if your box is hiding in a cupboard.
Old 08-04-2021, 16:53   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Instead of step 1, just reboot the box. When it loads back up to the Home screen, it'll automatically be in pairing mode. Then do steps 2, 3 and 4.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 22:59   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Instead of step 1, just reboot the box. When it loads back up to the Home screen, it'll automatically be in pairing mode. Then do steps 2, 3 and 4.
Oh thank you. I can try that as I can reboot it with my remote control
Old 09-04-2021, 09:20   #8
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The remote will do that if the batteries are no good - I know you said you had changed them.

Could be dirty battery contacts or rechargable batteries being used.

The V6 remote seems to require good voltage - which rechargables often don't give.

I take it you only have one remote available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Yes, all buttons are affected. I went through the pairing instructions and got a continuous red light on the remote that sometimes flashed until it eventually went off. No green light whatsoever!
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 14:43   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have 2 TiVo remotes, both have buttons that won't work, so the 2 are needed to get it to work.

You can only order 1 remote, so when I get the replacement I'll order the 2nd.