Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ethernet not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Ethernet not working

Old 09-05-2018, 14:30   #31
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Ethernet not working

Given that the PC is showing that the interface is all running correctly, sounds to me more that the Superhub is not issuing an IP to wired devices.

Try a reboot of the SH. You will probably need to issue an ipconfig /renew command on the PC.

This makes a DHCP request for a fresh IP number from the SH. This is normally done while the PC is booting up.

If still no joy log into the SH and check to see that it is being told to issue IP's to the wired part of the network.

HTH

If you're using your own router then you need to look at its settings rather than the SH

Last edited by heero_yuy; 09-05-2018 at 14:40. Reason: Own router comment
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2018, 16:50   #32
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Given that the PC is showing that the interface is all running correctly, sounds to me more that the Superhub is not issuing an IP to wired devices.

Try a reboot of the SH. You will probably need to issue an ipconfig /renew command on the PC.

This makes a DHCP request for a fresh IP number from the SH. This is normally done while the PC is booting up.

If still no joy log into the SH and check to see that it is being told to issue IP's to the wired part of the network.

HTH

If you're using your own router then you need to look at its settings rather than the SH

If the wired connection works just fine on my laptop wired that shows the SH is working ok
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 18:20   #33
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
If the wired connection works just fine on my laptop wired that shows the SH is working ok
good point.

so, what do we know so far . .

1) wired internet suddenly stopped working

2) a new card - with drivers - still doesn't work

3) wired works on a different PC using the same cables

logic points at the PC, could be a setting that is configured wrong, could be a motherboard fault.

If it's a motherboard fault how do we diagnose it?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 19:42   #34
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
good point.

so, what do we know so far . .

1) wired internet suddenly stopped working

2) a new card - with drivers - still doesn't work

3) wired works on a different PC using the same cables

logic points at the PC, could be a setting that is configured wrong, could be a motherboard fault.

If it's a motherboard fault how do we diagnose it?

I thick that I have come to the conclusion that the mother board is faulty, how I can prove it I do not know.
Old 09-05-2018, 21:08   #35
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I thick that I have come to the conclusion that the mother board is faulty, how I can prove it I do not know.

As mentioned you prove it using a Linux CD if it works on Linux then your PC is fine and it is a Windows issue which would likely get fixed with reinstalling it.
Old 09-05-2018, 23:38   #36
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Don't forget Ken, you don't need to install Linux, you can run it from DVD.

Details HERE
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:06   #37
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

Details HERE

Link just goes to the tutorials.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:13   #38
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Link just goes to the tutorials.
I do apologise Ken, I didn't realise you knew what you were doing.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:09   #39
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I do apologise Ken, I didn't realise you knew what you were doing.

No I must say that I don't always know I am doing -)

Bring back Windows XP

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 ----------

Quote:

Details HERE
A friend is bringing a linus DVD over to try it, he is a linus fan
Old 10-05-2018, 15:02   #40
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Aren't we all!
Attached Images
File Type: png linus.png (120.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 10-05-2018, 17:56   #41
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Aren't we all!

I like the attachment :-)

My friend brought over a Linus DVD and my network cards do not work so that confirms it is my mother board at fault as I expected :-(

Many thanks to all that helped.

Ken
Old 10-05-2018, 20:54   #42
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

You could always go wireless if you only want to spend a small amount or as you say ask the bank of pensions for a new pc.
Old 13-05-2018, 10:29   #43
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
You could always go wireless if you only want to spend a small amount or as you say ask the bank of pensions for a new pc.

The bank of pensions would not allow me to purchase a new pc so I purchase from Clasohson a USB Ethernet adaptor reference number 38-3732
View larger photo

for £18.99 and works just fine so problem solved.
Old 13-05-2018, 12:00   #44
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
The bank of pensions would not allow me to purchase a new pc so I purchase from Clasohson a USB Ethernet adaptor reference number 38-3732
View larger photo

You were ripped off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-3-0-t....c100005.m1851
Old 13-05-2018, 13:01   #45
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
View larger photo

Hope it gets you up and running again, report back.