Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 10-10-2018, 19:59   #721
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoSymz View Post
My motorbike

Fitted new clutch and brake levers, battery box , rear mudguard, speedo cable and complete rear braking system.
The wife hasn't seen much of you lately, then? I hope you washed the bath after you!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2018, 21:06   #722
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I replaced the OSB3 shelving in a garden cupboard, It all got wet after a roof leak and distorted to heck. The new roof will be sealed with fibreglass this time....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 23:45   #723
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Bluetooth/Sync on my wife’s Fiesta
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 11:50   #724
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Dehumidifier: Came from my mum's place. Fan stopped working. Tried some oil but it was still too stiff to run properly.

Took out the motor and dismantled it: Loads of black crap inside and the armature had far too much end-float and was fouling the casing.

I guess whatever was used to control that had broken up and got ground down.

Thorough clean of bearings and armature in white spirit, added sufficient plain steel washers at each end to set the end-float to about a mm or so. Lubricated with graphited grease. Works a treat now.
Old 22-10-2018, 08:32   #725
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Water leaking out of fridge onto floor, so turned off the electrics, pushed a plastic straw up and down drainage channel and poured very hot water down, did the trick.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 23:55   #726
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Water leaking out of fridge onto floor, so turned off the electrics, pushed a plastic straw up and down drainage channel and poured very hot water down, did the trick.
Thanks for the tip my fridge was doing the same thing, I really do not like this drawer kind as my last one was shelfs ,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 10:58   #727
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
A good fridge tip

Congrats everyone!!!!!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 20:46   #728
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycoSymz View Post
My motorbike

Fitted new clutch and brake levers, battery box , rear mudguard, speedo cable and complete rear braking system.

What bike have you got CycoSymz.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 15:28   #729
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Bedside digital alarm clock: Hour set button not working.

Dismantled the unit. The "click domes" that back the buttons are secured in place with sellotape like stuff, peeled it off with the domes. Cleaned the PCB with some Brasso and applied contact cleaner. Re-assembled with fresh tape.

Works fine now ready for tonight's hour change.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25   #730
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Kitchen cupboard doors: 3 of them wont stay open but don't shut properly. It's a spring-loaded thingy in the hinge housed in a small plastic moulding which splits and gets misplaced over time. Simplest fix is to take the faulty hinge off, disassemble it by removing a "U" shaped pin and remove the offending parts, then re-assembling them.

Doors now operate properly, just not as positive as they should be but still OK.

Saves buying new hinges at the extortionate price they are.
Old 11-11-2018, 14:58   #731
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Hve you tried Youtube to try and get them purfect?
Old 16-11-2018, 14:29   #732
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed the 8 track I just got (Barry Manilow II)

Thankfully she opened w/o a problem...... Most cartridges do not!!

The tape came apart where it was spliced together (Looked like it wasnt done well) -- I took some masking tape and taped the two pieces together. (The foil was still there so I just left it in place (The foil is good))

I put the masking tape on the backside of the tape leaving the foil so it can be sensed....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 12:03   #733
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

My favourite pair of jeans. (Low rise, skinny) Worn through in the crotch area so I used some heat bonded mending tape. Good as new.

I'll need some new ones but it's so difficult to get ones I like the fit of on me. These are size 12.
Old 27-11-2018, 12:10   #734
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
My favourite pair of jeans. (Low rise, skinny) Worn through in the crotch area so I used some heat bonded mending tape. Good as new.

I'll need some new ones but it's so difficult to get ones I like the fit of on me. These are size 12.
I hope you took them off first.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 16:20   #735
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Faithful old golfing umbrella: A spoke had come loose from the retainer at the top as the hole in the spoke that the wire in the retainer goes through had corroded.

I used a wire loop made from a paperclip to go in the retainer and then secured the spoke to that using the metal inner from a chop-block. Job done.