Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 02-04-2016, 20:26   #811
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

To be honest OB your posts have been quite a bit like quicksand of late as you seemed to have chopped and changed your stance whenever you think its supports your one eyed view of things.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:16   #812
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
To be honest OB your posts have been quite a bit like quicksand of late as you seemed to have chopped and changed your stance whenever you think its supports your one eyed view of things.
I'm not sure what it is that you think I'm changing my stance on, Den. I remain of the view that audiences on conventional broadcast channels will be in long term decline in favour of video streaming/ on demand and this will lead to the reduction and ultimately the closure of linear broadcasting as it is now, due to the drying up of advertising revenue.

I cannot think why you and Harry think I've changed that central message.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:16   #813
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm not sure what it is that you think I'm changing my stance on, Den. I remain of the view that audiences on conventional broadcast channels will be in long term decline in favour of video streaming/ on demand and this will lead to the reduction and ultimately the closure of linear broadcasting as it is now, due to the drying up of advertising revenue.

I cannot think why you and Harry think I've changed that central message.
Surely you think that some live channels will continue to exist? Sports channels and other live events need to be linear.
I think it's fair to say that on-demand channels will probably reduce the number of linear channels over time and that everyone agrees with this.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 15:05   #814
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Surely you think that some live channels will continue to exist? Sports channels and other live events need to be linear.
I think it's fair to say that on-demand channels will probably reduce the number of linear channels over time and that everyone agrees with this.
I've said this on here before , look at ITV for instance who have ITV , ITV 2 , ITV 3 , ITV 4 , ITV Be , ITV Encore plus the many +1 channels.

Over the next 10 years I'd expect that number to decrease to perhaps 3 or 4 with increased use of ITV Hub.

Linear tv is going nowhere however I share the same opinion as you that we may see the number of channels reduce over the coming years.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 18:20   #815
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It is possible to view live sport through streaming, Andrew. In fact, if you look at the BBC i-Player, you can watch live programming now.
Old 03-04-2016, 21:30   #816
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

When it is live, it is on a schedule and it is linear.

The mode of delivery is not relevant.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14   #817
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
When it is live, it is on a schedule and it is linear.

The mode of delivery is not relevant.
Precisely. At last we agree on something!

However, you know very well that the argument is about whether video streaming will take over from our conventional broadcast channels. Not everyone understands that live (linear) programmes can be streamed. I was merely explaining this point.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:27   #818
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

However, you know very well that the argument is about whether video streaming will take over from our conventional broadcast channels. Not everyone understands that live (linear) programmes can be streamed. I was merely explaining this point.
Sorry I misunderstood. So the question is whether streaming will replace cable, terrestrial and satellite broadcasting?
Have to say that my technical knowledge is quite limited but I'm sure this is a possibility. Only this month, Channel 4 added live channels to its All4 Android app.http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...o-android-app/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:50   #819
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Sorry but re-reading this entire thread won't give that impression to any impartial reader.

You have been arguing that linear TV channels days are numbered. The phrase "linear TV" is in the thread title. All your early contributions to the thread focused on the ease with which you set up favourites and preferences with your chosen on-demand service provider.

The broadcast medium is not relevant. Linear TV is still linear TV when watching it via the mobile iplayer.
Old 04-04-2016, 15:10   #820
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sorry but re-reading this entire thread won't give that impression to any impartial reader.

You have been arguing that linear TV channels days are numbered. The phrase "linear TV" is in the thread title. All your early contributions to the thread focused on the ease with which you set up favourites and preferences with your chosen on-demand service provider.

The broadcast medium is not relevant. Linear TV is still linear TV when watching it via the mobile iplayer.
I'm sorry, but I thought everybody understood what this thread was about. 'Linear TV' is shorthand for our existing broadcast channels and I was following the lead of others in describing it thus.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:
Sorry I misunderstood. So the question is whether streaming will replace cable, terrestrial and satellite broadcasting?
Have to say that my technical knowledge is quite limited but I'm sure this is a possibility. Only this month, Channel 4 added live channels to its All4 Android app.http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...o-android-app/
Yes, Andrew, on the basis that over time, TV audiences will migrate away from our conventional broadcast channels which are scheduled and constantly peppered with commercial breaks. My argument is that it costs money to organise programmes on the conventional broadcast channels (eg scheduling, links between programmes, etc) whereas on a streaming service, the programmes just have to be uploaded. Furthermore, with a smaller audience, advertising revenue is reduced, leading to cheaper programmes being broadcast, exacerbating the audience decline. Ultimately, such channels will become uneconomic to run.

This isn't going to happen for a few years in my opinion, but over time, the economic reality will begin to bite. We will see fewer channels, which will bolster income for those that remain, but ultimately they too will fail.

So what I think will happen will be that we will be left with a range of streaming services to choose from. Not everyone on here is happy with that prospect and some are in denial, without being able to come up with solutions to prevent an audience decline. They say that the existing channels will simply refuse to let the big streaming companies have their original material, not realising that there is not sufficient material to enable the TV studios to make a profit in that scenario.

Instead of bundles of broadcast channels, we are likely to have bundles of streaming services and other demand viewing and box sets from cable and satellite companies.
Old 04-04-2016, 15:31   #821
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
whereas on a streaming service, the programmes just have to be uploaded
And QC checked. And catalogued so users can find them. And usage monitored so users can be billed and content providers paid. And adverts inserted(!) And assets removed when they have expired.

Pretty much the same as managing broadcast, in fact.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 15:41   #822
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

OB, can we clarify please:

BBC1 is a linear broadcast channel when you tune in to channel 1 via Freeview.
BBC1 is a linear broadcast channel when you tune in to channel 101 via Freesat or Sky.
BBC1 is a linear broadcast channel when you open the iplayer and click the currently scheduled programme in the TV guide.

Do you agree that in all three situations, regardless of the means used to receive the transmission, that BBC1 is a linear TV channel?

A simple yes or no will do.
Old 04-04-2016, 16:33   #823
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
OB, can we clarify please:

BBC1 is a linear broadcast channel when you tune in to channel 1 via Freeview.
BBC1 is a linear broadcast channel when you tune in to channel 101 via Freesat or Sky.
BBC1 is a linear broadcast channel when you open the iplayer and click the currently scheduled programme in the TV guide.

Do you agree that in all three situations, regardless of the means used to receive the transmission, that BBC1 is a linear TV channel?

A simple yes or no will do.
Yes, of course it is, Chris. However, this debate relates to our conventional linear broadcast channels and how they will continue to survive with audiences shifting to streaming and other on demand services.
Old 04-04-2016, 16:38   #824
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

You actually mentioned Netflix multiple times , of course Netflix has no linear channels and the whole service is based around On Demand content.

You seem to be consistently shifting your argument , correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't your main point that the likes of Netflix would eventually see the death of linear channels ?

Somewhat ironically you now seem to be including linear broadcasting in these streaming services the very thing you said was toast.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 16:41   #825
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
And QC checked. And catalogued so users can find them. And usage monitored so users can be billed and content providers paid. And adverts inserted(!) And assets removed when they have expired.

Pretty much the same as managing broadcast, in fact.
I would have thought that once the system was set up, this would be a straight forward digital process, spiderplant. However, the insertion of ads by our commercial TV broadcasters would be an added complication, I agree..

I would have thought that a lot of time and money would be spent working out schedules for programmes to be shown, fitting it all into the available time frames, making the announcements between programmes, that our traditional broadcasters have to do. However, I am happy to be corrected by those in the know such as your good self!