Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fined for NOT riding in the Bike Lanes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Fined for NOT riding in the Bike Lanes

Old 09-06-2011, 14:04   #1
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Fined for NOT riding in the Bike Lanes (US)

I had some trouble deciding what section of the forum to put this in... Please move if inappropriate.

:The Cyclists Video:

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 14:35   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Fined for NOT riding in the Bike Lanes

So that is an issue in the USA perhaps. It wouldn't apply here as unfortunately it isn't compulsory for cyclists to use cycle lanes when they are provided. That gets rather annoying as they can have a nice bit of path set aside for them, but they still inisist on wobbling in the main carriageway hindering every other bit of traffic going. Maybe we shouldn't be bothering with cycle lanes and instead devote the space to wider roads that we can all genuinely share.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 18:11   #3
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So that is an issue in the USA perhaps. It wouldn't apply here as unfortunately it isn't compulsory for cyclists to use cycle lanes when they are provided. That gets rather annoying as they can have a nice bit of path set aside for them, but they still inisist on wobbling in the main carriageway hindering every other bit of traffic going. Maybe we shouldn't be bothering with cycle lanes and instead devote the space to wider roads that we can all genuinely share.

I'm really resentful at how much has been spent by my council on off road cycle lanes some of which are barely used while the speedo clad macho riders seem determined to risk life and limb to prove some point whilst riding in the gutter.
Old 09-06-2011, 18:50   #4
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Not far from where I live, the council are actually norrowing the roads. They're causing chaos on a major 3 lane road, one of the 3 lanes is, or was a bus lane. Believe it or not it's going to be turned into a single lane in to Manchester and a single lane out.

I really do believe they have it in for the motorists, there are so many people who I know that have had enough, and have thrown in the towel and are now cycling or using public transport.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 19:30   #5
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Maybe we should start fining cyclists for not using the cycle lane .A motorist can get fined for using bus lanes and in Newcastle there is dedicated cctv to ensure that cars do not use the bus lane ,so why not fine a cyclist for using the incorrect lane
Old 09-06-2011, 19:38   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Maybe we should start fining cyclists for not using the cycle lane .A motorist can get fined for using bus lanes and in Newcastle there is dedicated cctv to ensure that cars do not use the bus lane ,so why not fine a cyclist for using the incorrect lane
Because there's no requirement to use the cycle lane?
Old 09-06-2011, 19:38   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I wish the buses would stay in the bus lanes... as soon as one arrives behind a cyclist toddling along in a bus lane they pull out into the other lane which is already crowded due to one lane being taken away for a bus lane!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 19:39   #8
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
Not far from where I live, the council are actually norrowing the roads. They're causing chaos on a major 3 lane road, one of the 3 lanes is, or was a bus lane. Believe it or not it's going to be turned into a single lane in to Manchester and a single lane out.

I really do believe they have it in for the motorists, there are so many people who I know that have had enough, and have thrown in the towel and are now cycling or using public tranport.
I know exactly where you mean. It used to be convenient to carry on from the end of the M61 to where I live.

Not any more, I'll be driving further & hence causing more emissions because of this...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 19:41   #9
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Because there's no requirement to use the cycle lane?
I know and what i am saying is maybe there should be
Old 09-06-2011, 20:07   #10
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I know and what i am saying is maybe there should be
If that were to happen, a lot of cycle lanes would have to be made a lot more practical, since there's quite a few that aren't fit for going more than 5mph or require coming to a nearly full every 20 yards.
Old 09-06-2011, 20:16   #11
martyh

Quote:
If that were to happen, a lot of cycle lanes would have to be made a lot more practical, since there's quite a few that aren't fit for going more than 5mph or require coming to a nearly full every 20 yards.
agree on that ,i have seen some realy stupid cycle lanes that are only a feet long ,totally pointless
Old 09-06-2011, 20:50   #12
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I understand cyclists not wanting to use cycle lanes on the carriage way where cars are parked.
What I don't get is why they won't use off the carriage way specially made cycle tracks where there are no motor vehicles not even parked ones.
Old 09-06-2011, 21:09   #13
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I understand cyclists not wanting to use cycle lanes on the carriage way where cars are parked.
What I don't get is why they won't use off the carriage way specially made cycle tracks where there are no motor vehicles not even parked ones.
Well, for one, some of them require you to give way on every side street/lane, which you don't have to do when riding on the road. Some have very poor surfaces with tree roots bumping up the tarmac providing a bumpy ride. Some are raised and don't have (proper) dropped kerbs at intersections/driveways meaning you have to come to a stop every couple of yards. Some have bloody big trees in the middle. Then there's the ones that make you cross a busy road twice in the space of 100 yards as the path stops and then continues on the other side of the road.

The upshot is that while some cycle lanes/paths are fine, there are many that are thoroughly ill-conceived and/or maintained and are better described as obstacle courses than cycle paths. What looks perfectly fine from a distance may be a nightmare to actually ride. The latter will be particularly true for people on road bikes with very narrow tyres that tend to travel faster (i.e. the lycra lads)
Old 09-06-2011, 21:17   #14
martyh

Quote:
Well, for one, some of them require you to give way on every side street/lane, which you don't have to do when riding on the road. Some have very poor surfaces with tree roots bumping up the tarmac providing a bumpy ride. Some are raised and don't have (proper) dropped kerbs at intersections/driveways meaning you have to come to a stop every couple of yards. Some have bloody big trees in the middle. Then there's the ones that make you cross a busy road twice in the space of 100 yards as the path stops and then continues on the other side of the road.

The upshot is that while some cycle lanes/paths are fine, there are many that are thoroughly ill-conceived and/or maintained and are better described as obstacle courses than cycle paths. What looks perfectly fine from a distance may be a nightmare to actually ride. The latter will be particularly true for people on road bikes with very narrow tyres that tend to travel faster (i.e. the lycra lads)

I agree with you ,a lot of the cycle tracks around our way are just that ,little more than dirt tracks running alongside of the highway .If we are going to encourage people away from cars and onto bikes then we must give them the proper means to do it .A dirt track might be ok for a bit of weekend fun on a mountain bike but for a commuter on his/her way to work not so much fun i imagine .When there is proper infrastructure in place then and only then can we expect cyclists to use them and fine accordingly if they don't
Old 09-06-2011, 21:26   #15
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Our council has spent lots of money on the off road tracks.They have even utilised where the old railway tracks used to be. When I had a cycle I used them and they were an excellent way to get around the town without having to use the roads.Frankly they are far better than the on road cycle tracks which are subject to car parking and poor road surfaces.