Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 24-12-2010, 19:48   #2026
gazfan

Services: Virgin XL
Re: Snow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Wife skidded on sheet ice and rolled the car on Tuesday. Bumped and bruised but ok ... our 2-year-old came out of it almost unscathed, thankfully. Car's probably a gonner though. Thankfully she doesn't remember the state it was in when it came to rest, but I saw it and it's scaring the living daylights out of me.

Just thankful to have my girls home and safe though.
Gosh that is scary, I'm so glad they are both ok ...
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2010, 20:00   #2027
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

so how much are the betting shops going to pay out the year.
this was last year
http://derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/2010/0...lion-snow-bet/
Quote:
Bookmaker Ladbrokes is refusing to pay out more than 7 million pounds to a man who gambled on a white Christmas across the UK, as the bet was accepted by mistake. Cliff Bryant, 52, had placed two 5-pound accumulator bets that snow would fall on 24 towns and cities across the north of England on Christmas Day.
vanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 20:02   #2028
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
so how much are the betting shops going to pay out the year
Quote:
What is a white Christmas?

For many a white Christmas means a complete covering of snow, ideally falling on the 25th.
However, the definition of an official white Christmas used most widely, notably by those placing and taking bets, is for a single snow flake (perhaps amongst a shower of rain and snow mixed) to be observed falling in the 24 hours of 25 December.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/whitechristmas/
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 20:29   #2029
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

My traction control tells me that the roads haven't seen any grit yet tonight. If anyone has to go out tonight be extra careful!
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 21:07   #2030
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Yes, I noticed that earlier - be careful out there.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 21:40   #2031
Tuftus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
My traction control tells me that the roads haven't seen any grit yet tonight. If anyone has to go out tonight be extra careful!
The TC on my BMW won't let me even get off my driveway (on a slope) let alone tell me what is obvious, nor let me turn it off for some fun around the roundabouts in Milton Keynes
Old 26-12-2010, 20:21   #2032
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Not just the UK suffering/having transport problems....

BBC
Quote:
As conditions worsened on Sunday, Delta Airlines cancelled about 850 flights mainly from North and South Carolina up to Boston.

Continental Airlines cancelled 250 flights from Newark Liberty International Airport outside New York City.

United Airlines also cancelled dozens of Sunday flights from Newark, Philadelphia, New York's LaGuardia and JFK, Boston and other airports.

AirTran and Southwest Airlines also cancelled flights.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 20:35   #2033
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

I bet those airports won't be down for several days though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 14:44   #2034
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That all depends on how reliable winter snow is in those parts of the US. I expect that they, like Heathrow, have undertaken a cost/benefit analysis and have invested in the appropriate machinery.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 14:49   #2035
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Not just the UK suffering/having transport problems....

BBC
The snow that the US is having right now may move info the UK within the next two weeks.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:24   #2036
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

20 inches in New York and 2000 flights cancelled within the area affected

Quote:
The southern states of Georgia and South Carolina had their first white Christmas in more than a century.
I think they may not be as prepared as much as they might have been under normal winter conditions.
Old 27-12-2010, 18:31   #2037
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

They might have problems in the states, but l bet anyone, that they will be operating within hours, NOT days or weeks.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 18:49   #2038
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Of course you would Arthur, because you believe everything you read in that disreputable red-top rag they call the Star.
Old 27-12-2010, 19:42   #2039
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I get all the info on the airport from my own eyes, l live near there,
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 19:56   #2040
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I doubt very much that your eyes tell you anything about the airport's crisis planning or capital expenditure budget.