Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | When will we see another speed upgrade?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

When will we see another speed upgrade?

Old 26-10-2018, 18:00   #16
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: When will we see another speed upgrade?

If you are on 70Mbs you should have had a free upgrade to 100 over a year ago. I did without requesting it.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2018, 00:59   #17
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not a Speed upgrade I want, It's a better Router with Great Wi-Fi..
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 01:19   #18
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
ISPs give you the basics which for me works fine.

I recommend buying your own router this will give you far better WiFi and loads more advanced options that most normal users wouldn't need.
Old 27-10-2018, 10:08   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

don't bother snoopz, there are at least two other threads whether we have had an in depth discussion about this with him already and he hasn't taken our advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
go and buy one then because we told you which one to buy over a month ago
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 10:33   #20
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
don't bother snoopz, there are at least two other threads whether we have had an in depth discussion about this with him already and he hasn't taken our advice.

go and buy one then because we told you which one to buy over a month ago
Doesn't have to be an expensive one either. I never spend more than £50 on a router and its better than anything VM provide.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 12:10   #21
Springy
cf.member

Springy is an unknown quantity at this point

I rather we get a speed boost for upload, but I guess we need to wait for DOCSIS 3.1
Springy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 07:39   #22
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Services: Vivid 350?
JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Tempting to get G.Fast when it seems like the minimum I'd get on upload would be 41.
JordanTheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 10:26   #23
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Why do people want a higher upload, is it for Torrents or things like uploading photos as the only benefit a really high upload for me personally would be uploading photos to the cloud?
Old 28-10-2018, 10:51   #24
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

JordanTheToaster is on a distinguished roadJordanTheToaster is on a distinguished road

Streaming uploading videos voice and video calls and being only 25 meters from the cabinet also gets me 350 down.
Old 28-10-2018, 11:25   #25
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTheToaster View Post
Streaming uploading videos voice and video calls and being only 25 meters from the cabinet also gets me 350 down.

Can't you do that on what you already have?
Old 28-10-2018, 11:35   #26
JordanTheToaster
I Toast Bread

Streaming at 1080 60 8Mbps with Discord and Skype open dose cause drops in call quality fairly often so 40-50 up would help.
Old 28-10-2018, 13:43   #27
ethan103
cf.addict

Services: VM350, Sky Q Silver.
ethan103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
What would you want to do that 350mbit doesn't allow you to do? Speed upgrades have become a bit irrelevant (an upload increase would be nice though - but guess it doesn't grab the headlines...)
When games are around 120GB to download - even my 388Mb is slow.

Downloads, especially with media, are getting bigger and bigger.

4K movies, 4K Games etc

Many places around the world have 1Gb and some places even more than that.

0.38Gb is getting old, fast.

The ability to download tens of GBs quick will always be better than waiting
many minutes or more.

If we took your view then advancements would never be made and next thing you know file sizes have swollen but speeds haven't kept up.
ethan103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 19:49   #28
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Why do people want a higher upload, is it for Torrents or things like uploading photos as the only benefit a really high upload for me personally would be uploading photos to the cloud?
Have you ever tried to send your kid's grandparent a 1080p video of her birthday? I have and it took the best part of a full day to send. I could have downloaded that file in minutes.

We don't live in a take take take world with the internet anymore. We live in a share, take, share, take one
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 23:51   #29
Springy
cf.member

Springy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Have you ever tried to send your kid's grandparent a 1080p video of her birthday? I have and it took the best part of a full day to send. I could have downloaded that file in minutes.

We don't live in a take take take world with the internet anymore. We live in a share, take, share, take one
Plus it is saturation. Most of what we do is media based. As soon as you upload photos and videos you taken it saturates your connection and therefore download speeds gets affected.
Springy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 02:09   #30
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Because I backup everything to cloud, including video, the faster that works, the better.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote