Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you just bought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you just bought?

Old 20-03-2019, 12:03   #4546
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: What have you just bought?

Renewed car insurance - renewal quote was for £741.44 for two cars, rang up and had a chat, it's now £631.68 (saving of £110).

Folks, don't just accept renewal quotes - ring up and get a better deal.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2019, 13:03   #4547
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Renewed car insurance - renewal quote was for £741.44 for two cars, rang up and had a chat, it's now £631.68 (saving of £110).

I would say don't accept the quote but do it online using a cash back site like topcashback then phone up and compare.
Old 20-03-2019, 13:40   #4548
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Silver Cross Pioneer Pram and Pushchair as our contribution to the upcoming new addition to our family (my daughter is predicted to produce the offspring mid-August, but John Lewis reduced this by £145, and it was the one they wanted, so seemed silly not to).
Well done Hugh, Something nice yo look forward too.

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

I have never used a cash back site scoopz, How do the work,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 15:57   #4549
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Well done Hugh, Something nice yo look forward too.

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

I have never used a cash back site scoopz, How do the work,
You visit the cashback site create a free account and then if you want to buy something at say Debenhams you type that in the search box and it tells you what % cash back you will get if any, then click through to that site, then eventually you will get some money added to your account.

No tricks or anything it is very simple, just make sure you don't have an adblocker running in your browser so they can track for CLICK.

I use https://www.topcashback.co.uk/ and you don't need an account to do a search and see what % you will get back.
Old 20-03-2019, 18:37   #4550
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I renew my wife's car with RAC (current supplier as price was best on comparison sites) and car isn't worth major haggling.

My new car I had a good quote from the RAC but watched the price rising each time I did a quote even on same data. Got a quote from NFU Mutual. A bit more but can pay over year at 0% and they have a better reputation. Hard to compare as RAC include keys/locks and NFU don't but NFU include other things that RAC charge extra for. I though it worth paying a bit extra as the car is worth more.
Old 22-03-2019, 12:37   #4551
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Coffee beans
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 19:54   #4552
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Too much.

Over £1,200 on Amazon this year.

I should smash last years total at that rate.
Old 22-03-2019, 23:22   #4553
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

A laptop from BHF charity shop ebay… £26 + 9.50 p&p.
Not a fantastic spec, basic function tested (battery works but run time not specified, includes PSU).
1GB RAM (I'll slam that up to 4GB), and I might even try slapping the best Socket P 800 FSB CPU in that I can bag for a song on ebay (T1600 Celeron in it), from what I can discern, the chipset it has supports 800FSB and RAM, while the Celeron is 667FSB, so the best likely upgrade would be 50% more GHz, more FSB, and 3-4x the L2 cache
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:17   #4554
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

2Tb Seagate Barracuda hard drive to replace the 120Gb Seagate drive that died this week.

I first installed it in September 2004!

The new one cost £53, the old one £122!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 12:40   #4555
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Consider getting a smaller SSD for the system and apps and use the 2T for data. The SSD will really boost the PC's speed.
Old 23-03-2019, 13:02   #4556
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Consider getting a smaller SSD for the system and apps and use the 2T for data. The SSD will really boost the PC's speed.
I agree as you can get a 120GB SSD for less than £20 now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Te...ay&sr=8-3&th=1
Old 23-03-2019, 14:18   #4557
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It'll be the backup disk for data, as was the old one. SSD would be a waste of time for my Vista PC.

Yeah, yeah, one day I'll upgrade my OS, but the moment it's not broke so....
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 14:28   #4558
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Well I'm still on XP SP3 for the main and media server but the SSD still made a world of difference. As you say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 24-03-2019, 19:25   #4559
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Paint

Specifically Goosedown if you will (how this varies from light grey I have no idea)
Old 24-03-2019, 23:04   #4560
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Paint

Specifically Goosedown if you will (how this varies from light grey I have no idea)
I saw you as more of a Farrow and Ball man, myself...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote