Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 06-08-2021, 00:21   #301
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

No it only returns Sky content and Netflix.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2021, 00:35   #302
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
No it only returns Sky content and Netflix.
Disney Plus is integrated as well but appears amongst Sky's content.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:14   #303
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Like many things in the TV world "integrated" means a whole host of different things depending on context and who is reading, so through no fault of either party you could be talking about different things, or variations with significant enough differences.

And even opinion comes into it, something that is to one person isn't to another.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:51   #304
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

I'm guessing no news on Disney+ app coming to virgin? Is it still sky exclusive. I think that would be perfect. Though if WWE network goes to Peacock i'd like that too!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:02   #305
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
I'm guessing no news on Disney+ app coming to virgin? Is it still sky exclusive. I think that would be perfect. Though if WWE network goes to Peacock i'd like that too!
Virgin Media has already confirmed that Disney+ is coming to 360 boxes this year. Not sure about the V6s - VM might try to use the streamer as a carrot to persuade people to switch.

There are no clues about Peacock other than the fact that Sky will get the free version first. Hopefully, VM viewers will get the app a little later.

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Okay Mystic Meg.

By definition I can only see the present with my “very eyes”. Your projections for the future are merely that - speculative, often based on what you desire to happen rather than the likelihood of them happening. Economics - which underpins the great capitalist endeavour - would indicate you are much further than you opine.

I’m still waiting on whether linear television as understood by the rest of the forum over IPTV is linear by your own definition. Which as we all know would significantly negate your ability to further shift the goalposts as you have done before.
Oh, for heaven's sake, jfman, why are you finding this so difficult to grasp? Your obsession with the word 'linear' is obscuring the actual point I am making, which is that content will move to IPTV and it will be accessible from a catelogue of programmes, much like Netflix, and not categorised by a huge list of channels. That is all I am saying. Given that 'linear TV' strictly speaking means live TV as well as TV brought to you by schedule as the channels do now, then of course linear TV will still exist. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch live sport, for example. However all other programmes will be on demand.

As I have explained on many occasions, I used the nomenclature 'linear TV' to describe our existing traditional TV channels back in 2015. This was how the media were referring to them at that time. Some still are to this day.

So please, jfman, cut this out for future reference, pin it on your wall in the cupboard under the stairs and let's move on.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:22   #306
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

You can watch live sport in a non-linear fashion via apps, OB. Anything watched “live” that airs on the BBC Sport website or iPlayer (that isn’t on a broadcast channel) is clearly not linear television. If I sat there and watched the Formula E and the broadcast ended there would be nothing there. That’s demonstrably not linear television.

You continue to fail to answer the question as asked, instead conflating it with anything that airs “live” at a given time.

As I say this is a matter of convenience for you because it allows you to continue to shift the goalposts at a later date by refusing to clearly define your terms now.

Last edited by jfman; 06-08-2021 at 11:26.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 13:05   #307
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We must surely be approaching the time when most people will start ditching the pay-tv channels in favour of streaming and terrestrial channels only. Virgin need to start offering this option soon - this might be what their new box for broadband only customers might be designed to do for all customers eventually.

It doesn't make sense to be paying for both TV channels and streaming services when the content of the TV channels is also on the streamers.
Why lumber yourself with Virgin or Sky then , much easier to purchase a Freesat or Freeview recorder and dip into streamers as you want.

So far we've tried nearly all of them and can honestly say the only one we watch weekly is Netlfix , we've tried and cancelled Britbox , Apple TV + cancelled , have a 6 month free trial of Discovery + that will get cancelled , have Disney + we won't renew after our annual sub expires. How long before half these streamers realise its a struggle to keep people.

Yesterday it was on the BBC about the popularity of streaming with a family saying they had originally had around 6 services which they now had down to 4 and they envisaged cutting that further.

Last edited by muppetman11; 06-08-2021 at 13:14.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 13:30   #308
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why lumber yourself with Virgin or Sky then , much easier to purchase a Freesat or Freeview recorder and dip into streamers as you want.
The perennial question. OB hypothesises that any day now millions of households will do exactly this yet cannot bring himself to be a pioneer of the future. If he can’t, why would anyone else?
Old 06-08-2021, 13:32   #309
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

I can confirm that Sky Q doesn't have any bookmarking facility.

In terms of integrated search when you're not subscribed, it doesn't seem to return results. I am subscribed to Disney+, Netflix and Amazon so harder to try. I tried a couple of Discovery network shows and it only seemed to show results for the actual linear TV channels.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 14:05   #310
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You can watch live sport in a non-linear fashion via apps, OB. Anything watched “live” that airs on the BBC Sport website or iPlayer (that isn’t on a broadcast channel) is clearly not linear television. If I sat there and watched the Formula E and the broadcast ended there would be nothing there. That’s demonstrably not linear television.

You continue to fail to answer the question as asked, instead conflating it with anything that airs “live” at a given time.

As I say this is a matter of convenience for you because it allows you to continue to shift the goalposts at a later date by refusing to clearly define your terms now.
I really don’t care what you want to call it, jfman. Live events will continue on the streaming services. That’s all I am saying. You are confusing yourself with the terminology and completely missing the point that I have been trying to make.

I am not shifting goalposts, I am just trying to answer questions that are put to me, but unfortunately you seem only interested in pulling things apart by raising pedantic issues that are nothing to do with the issues I am discussing. Obviously things will get fine-tuned along the way - so what?

Anyway, enough. This has gone on long enough. I am sorry if you genuinely don’t understand me, although I do think you are being mischievous, but if you don’t get it by now, you never will.
Old 06-08-2021, 14:09   #311
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I really don’t care what you want to call it, jfman. Live events will continue on the streaming services. That’s all I am saying. You are confusing yourself with the terminology and completely missing the point that I have been trying to make.

I am not shifting goalposts, I am just trying to answer questions that are put to me, but unfortunately you seem only interested in pulling things apart by raising pedantic issues that are nothing to do with the issues I am discussing. Obviously things will get fine-tuned along the way - so what?

Anyway, enough. This has gone on long enough. I am sorry if you genuinely don’t understand me, although I do think you are being mischievous, but if you don’t get it by now, you never will.
On the contrary Old Boy I’m not the only person on the forum who has difficulty with your loose interpretation of what is actually quite straightforward terminology.

You are leaving the door open to linear broadcasts continuing over IPTV (indeed, even cite from time to time Pluto TV) to allow you to claim successfully predicting what life would be like in 2035 if a substantially different, and much more likely outcome happens.
Old 06-08-2021, 14:14   #312
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The perennial question. OB hypothesises that any day now millions of households will do exactly this yet cannot bring himself to be a pioneer of the future. If he can’t, why would anyone else?
Is 2035 ‘any day now’?

I will move away from TV channels when I get all my streamers in one box. Told you that many times before.

In the meantime, channels have started closing and content is steadily moved to the streamers. Open your eyes and be amazed.
Old 06-08-2021, 14:19   #313
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Virgin Media has already confirmed that Disney+ is coming to 360 boxes this year. Not sure about the V6s - VM might try to use the streamer as a carrot to persuade people to switch.

Have they? That's news to me.
Old 06-08-2021, 14:32   #314
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
On the contrary Old Boy I’m not the only person on the forum who has difficulty with your loose interpretation of what is actually quite straightforward terminology.

You are leaving the door open to linear broadcasts continuing over IPTV (indeed, even cite from time to time Pluto TV) to allow you to claim successfully predicting what life would be like in 2035 if a substantially different, and much more likely outcome happens.
You know what, I couldn’t care less.

There will no longer be a miriad of channels such as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV Be, etc. It will just be ITV with content categorised. Sky is already running with this by categorising its channels by subject or type. When Sky is fully IPTV, the content on these channels will easily fit into these new categories. Stick to that concept and you might finally grasp the argument.

Scripted content will not be scheduled. EastEnders, for example will be added at the same time of day as all the rest of the scripted content for that day, possibly at 6am. EPGs will cease to exist, although there will be a means of seeing when live sports coverage, etc, will be available, as there is now.

Whether you want to call that linear or shmilear, I really have no concern whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Have they? That's news to me.
Yes, this is one reference to it, but I think I read it previously on the VM Community Forum.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ne...o-the-platform

[EXTRACT]

New Virgin TV 360 set-top box will finally add Disney Plus to the platform

One of the most exciting tidbits we managed to get from Virgin Media, though, was the arrival of Disney Plus. The Disney streaming app launched in the UK back in March, and has been noticeably missing from Virgin Media boxes so far.

A representative for Virgin Media told us in a briefing that “As of next year I'm very confident we will have [Disney Plus] on the platform”.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 06-08-2021 at 14:37.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 14:52   #315
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You know what, I couldn’t care less.

There will no longer be a miriad of channels such as ITV1, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, ITV Be, etc. It will just be ITV with content categorised. Sky is already running with this by categorising its channels by subject or type. When Sky is fully IPTV, the content on these channels will easily fit into these new categories. Stick to that concept and you might finally grasp the argument.

Scripted content will not be scheduled. EastEnders, for example will be added at the same time of day as all the rest of the scripted content for that day, possibly at 6am. EPGs will cease to exist, although there will be a means of seeing when live sports coverage, etc, will be available, as there is now.

Whether you want to call that linear or shmilear, I really have no concern whatsoever.
Now, now, OB.

It’s your own contortions that have got you into this mess, not mine.

Nobody has disputed that live sports coverage can be streamed - Amazon do a perfectly capable job yet you seem to add in this odd and unnecessary caveat. As if, for example, a sports channel with live sports, news and magazine content would somehow be disqualified from being a linear channel as understood by the rest of the forum.

As for your “one box” does a Fire TV or an Apple TV not fit your objective today?

If not in what ways are they deficient, and what incentives to they have (or not) to resolve said deficiencies given they are the biggest companies in the world?