Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talking Pictures run by a father and daughter from his house and garden shed!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Talking Pictures run by a father and daughter from his house and garden shed!

Old 18-04-2018, 03:38   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Talking Pictures run by a father and daughter from his house and garden shed!

On Thursday 12 April there was a radio interview about Talking Pictures with Noel Cronin, the man behind the channel.

He revealed some interesting facts about how it operates when the interviewer said that that she was surprised that it was being run from his home and that there weren't the banks of TV monitors that she had expected. He said that they only had one TV and another in the living room, that most of the technical side had been farmed out to third parties and that acquisitions & scheduling were based in the shed!

He says that material has been sourced from all sorts of places, including EBay, and that a lot of material was bought from the BBC after him pestering them for three years. Apparently, it was no longer suited to today's schedules, some was damaged due to age and cost £200,000, which is a lot more than I would have envisaged. His most prized acquisition was Scrooge. The Southern TV material was obtained from his contacts whilst working for Rank, as they were a shareholder, in fact their studios were housed in a former cinema.

They have over a million viewers and are now making a profit, with some viewers watching from dawn until late night. One lady even rang him to say that she had missed the end of the morning film (he deliberately puts on watchable programming on early mornings when the other channels are showing Teleshopping and it's paid off with the number of viewers), so asked him to play it again in the afternoon! He had to explain that schedules are compiled three months ahead, but sorted something out for her. This reminded me of when Peter Kaye said that his mother didn't like pausing live TV as it wasn't fair on the other people watching

He's a very pleasant and helpful man from my own personal dealings with him.

They make money from selling DVD's as well as advertising and have moved into profit after only three years and are now on a widespread Freeview mux, Freesat, Virgin Media and Sky.

I wonder how many more channels are now run on shoestring as the world of TV has changed? As audiences fragment within a multi channel environment, even the main channels have cut back. A few months ago I remember a fairly famous actress saying that at one time the cast would be placed altogether in a top hotel, but not anymore. A friend went down to London to be interviewed recently, he had envisaged first class rail travel and a limousine to pick him up as it used to be, but he was given a second class rail ticket and had to share a taxi with other participants.

Anyone who would like to listen to the interview can hear it via the iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09yfqsr#play

Or via a downloadable BBC podcast. It's called 'The Film Programme' from Radio 4, just search for ''BBC podcasts''.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 18-04-2018 at 03:43.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2018, 19:17   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Talking Pictures run by a father and daughter from his house and garden shed!

Doesn't surprise me. When I was running my one man campaign ( ) to get VM to take Talking Pictures - i got nowhere with a reply from VM. However Sarah Cronin-Stanley, co-founder of TP, replied personally and kept me updated. Refreshing in these corporate times. It's a channel that deserves to succeed and certainly offers an alternative to the generic unimaginative US sourced crap Sky churn out.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 20:17   #3
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Talking Pictures run by a father and daughter from his house and garden shed!

Some excellent older films on that channel for this old git to watch..
Old 18-04-2018, 20:18   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Doesn't surprise me. When I was running my one man campaign ( ) to get VM to take Talking Pictures - i got nowhere with a reply from VM. However Sarah Cronin-Stanley, co-founder of TP, replied personally and kept me updated. Refreshing in these corporate times. It's a channel that deserves to succeed and certainly offers an alternative to the generic unimaginative US sourced crap Sky churn out.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 23-04-2018, 17:28   #5
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Hmmm running it from home?

Not very surprising really........
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 02:56   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

What do you mean?
Old 24-04-2018, 10:52   #7
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What do you mean?
I think he's not a fan of classic cinema !

High school capers and rom coms on Sky is what we people seem to want these days.....
Old 24-04-2018, 15:31   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Sadly, yes.
Old 24-04-2018, 15:51   #9
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I think he's not a fan of classic cinema !

High school capers and rom coms on Sky is what we people seem to want these days.....
"We people" as l would not include myself in that as l have a pretty broad taste when it comes to films Mr K as High school capers and rom coms are certainly not my favourite type of films..
Old 23-06-2020, 07:43   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

This was a interesting clip that was on the BBC's website yesterday about Talking Pictures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...a-lockdown-hit
Old 23-06-2020, 08:49   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
This was a interesting clip that was on the BBC's website yesterday about Talking Pictures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entert...a-lockdown-hit
It's not all old unheard of movies either (although they are good to see !). Glad to see they've been getting some Hammer horror films and classic Ealing comedies like Kind Hearts and Coronets.
Old 23-06-2020, 09:00   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It's not all old unheard of movies either (although they are good to see !). Glad to see they've been getting some Hammer horror films and classic Ealing comedies like Kind Hearts and Coronets.
Those classic Ealing comedies were masterpieces.
Old 23-06-2020, 10:26   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I really enjoyed those Hammer horror films back in the day, but they are so dated now. Seen that, got the T-shirt, moved on long ago!

Maybe I will go along with the nostalgia when I’m senile, but for now, I want to keep up to date with life in all its forms, and enjoy the moment.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 10:45   #14
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I really enjoyed those Hammer horror films back in the day, but they are so dated now. Seen that, got the T-shirt, moved on long ago!
Well you might have seen that and got the T-shirt OB but not everybody is a streaming freak in this country.

Just because something is dated according to you does not mean that it dated according to others.
Old 23-06-2020, 10:52   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well you might have seen that and got the T-shirt OB but not everybody is a streaming freak in this country.

Just because something is dated according to you does not mean that it dated according to others.
And not everything new is brilliant. You don't have to be old to appreciate films that were made long before you were born.

Best to leave OB to his rom coms, high school and made for TV/streaming movies Bet he's older than me too !