Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 19:58   #76
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Thanks for the explanation I'll leave it there , let's agree to disagree as none of that makes sense to me.
Ok, put simply, if you're paying £70 for your Full House VM bundle but ditch that for 4 different streaming services at, say, £6.99 each, the saving is £70.00 - £27.96, a £42.04 saving. Now does it make sense?

If you are not paying £70 for Full House, just substitute your own figure. OTT services are still cheaper.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
It drives me to get HBO Nordic and a VPN service. I can't get Sky and I have zero interest getting normal TV through Virgin. I live part of the week in the Nordic region anyhow so when I do watch it in the UK, I get the HBO programming in both 1080p and DD5.1. I also get to avoid giving money to Murdoch.
OTT services work for you, then!
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2017, 11:22   #77
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ok, put simply, if you're paying £70 for your Full House VM bundle but ditch that for 4 different streaming services at, say, £6.99 each, the saving is £70.00 - £27.96, a £42.04 saving. Now does it make sense?

If you are not paying £70 for Full House, just substitute your own figure. OTT services are still cheaper.

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

OTT services work for you, then!
Remember you need broadband for all that to work, probably around £30 to £40 a month off your savings figure
Old 14-08-2017, 18:28   #78
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Remember you need broadband for all that to work, probably around £30 to £40 a month off your savings figure
Yeah you're right, I'm currently paying VM £44 a month for the basic TV package, basic phone and 200 meg BB.
My online subscriptions worked out over the year come to £79 a month, so it looks like I am paying more than having a full package on VM.
However I am only paying for the content I want rather than subsidizing a service 90% of which I don't want and lots of that streaming content I am paying for is either not available on British TV or the cost is being shared with someone else, so in effect I'm paying around £83 a month for content I want or not available via traditional TV, not cheap but better than the pay TV alternative
Old 18-08-2017, 13:40   #79
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

For many, the BBC i-Player is now the preferred method of watching BBC content. In July alone, there were 145 million requests for programmes for both live and on demand programmes on this service.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20170818...#axzz4q6cluuk6
Old 18-08-2017, 18:03   #80
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
Yeah you're right, I'm currently paying VM £44 a month for the basic TV package, basic phone and 200 meg BB.
My online subscriptions worked out over the year come to £79 a month, so it looks like I am paying more than having a full package on VM.
However I am only paying for the content I want rather than subsidizing a service 90% of which I don't want and lots of that streaming content I am paying for is either not available on British TV or the cost is being shared with someone else, so in effect I'm paying around £83 a month for content I want or not available via traditional TV, not cheap but better than the pay TV alternative
You've hit on what I think the main problem with all of the Linear Pay TV providers. Packages. I'm in the same position as you. We (as a family) watch around 10% of the channels I pay for, but the trouble is, they are spread amongst the packages Virgin Media offer. I suspect my bill would be a lot lower if VM offered per channel charging rather than bunging them into packages. I also suspect that is a major reason why VM won't offer it. Yes, I know VM's billing system may also be unable to cope, but if VM thought the change would be profitable enough, they can change the billing system.

One day, I probably will go through all the packages looking at what I can drop, but I don't really get much time for that sort of stuff at the moment.
Old 18-08-2017, 18:45   #81
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You've hit on what I think the main problem with all of the Linear Pay TV providers. Packages. I'm in the same position as you. We (as a family) watch around 10% of the channels I pay for, but the trouble is, they are spread amongst the packages Virgin Media offer. I suspect my bill would be a lot lower if VM offered per channel charging rather than bunging them into packages. I also suspect that is a major reason why VM won't offer it. Yes, I know VM's billing system may also be unable to cope, but if VM thought the change would be profitable enough, they can change the billing system.

One day, I probably will go through all the packages looking at what I can drop, but I don't really get much time for that sort of stuff at the moment.
Packages are good for families with diverse tastes. What I would like to see is bundles of the most popular channels.

They could also easily bundle channels together on the basis of the cost of those channels. So popular channels like Sky 1 would be bundled with Sky Living and Fox, for example. Likewise, the cheap and cheerful channels like Drama, CBS Drama and True Movies might go together.

The way things are, streaming services are much more attractive on the basis of both content and price.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Further evidence here of sports rights being picked up by OTT providers.

Coming to the UK soon...

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/73315...league-rights/
Old 18-08-2017, 18:53   #82
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

Coming to the UK soon...

l don't think so OB.
Old 18-08-2017, 19:20   #83
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

I probably should have also said that the vast majority of my subscription costs are for sport, without trying to work things out again I'd guess if I didn't need sports my subs would be 50-60 percent lower.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

Quote:
Packages are good for families with diverse tastes. What I would like to see is bundles of the most popular channels.

They could also easily bundle channels together on the basis of the cost of those channels. So popular channels like Sky 1 would be bundled with Sky Living and Fox, for example. Likewise, the cheap and cheerful channels like Drama, CBS Drama and True Movies might go together.

The way things are, streaming services are much more attractive on the basis of both content and price.

Coming to the UK soon...

OLD BOY I am in agreement with some of what you post, but the US pay TV market is markedly different from the UK,
what happens there is not necessarily coming here.
Until Ofcom grow a pair we are going to be the 3rd world in digital rights compared to America!
Old 18-08-2017, 20:09   #84
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I probably should have also said that the vast majority of my subscription costs are for sport, without trying to work things out again I'd guess if I didn't need sports my subs would be 50-60 percent lower.

---------- Post added at 18:20 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

OLD BOY I am in agreement with some of what you post, but the US pay TV market is markedly different from the UK,
what happens there is not necessarily coming here.
Until Ofcom grow a pair we are going to be the 3rd world in digital rights compared to America!
I understand the point you make, Buckeye, but the reason I point out what is going on with OTT sites in the States is that some Forum members do not believe that sport will ever be shown on streaming sites like Amazon or Netflix. I think it's the 'live' aspect that causes them confusion.

I wouldn't rule out the likes of Amazon or one of the other major streaming players going after the Premiership this next time around. We know they are interested.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l don't think so OB.
You are such a doubting Thomas these days, Den.
Old 18-08-2017, 20:19   #85
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
You are such a doubting Thomas these days, Den.
Its what you call reality OB.
Old 18-08-2017, 23:53   #86
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Coming to the UK soon...

Where does it say coming to uk soon?
I'm 50/50 with you on this i do agree with you streaming is growing and becoming more and more popular and widespread however live sports i feel will be linear for quite awhile.
Maybe they'll be streaming and linear as SKY already do this via nowtv/skygo and SKY.
I certainly wouldn't dismiss your theory though.
Old 18-08-2017, 23:58   #87
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its what you call reality OB.
It's the reality of your continuing cynicism, Den!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Where does it say coming to uk soon?
I'm 50/50 with you on this i do agree with you streaming is growing and becoming more and more popular and widespread however live sports i feel will be linear for quite awhile.
Maybe they'll be streaming and linear as SKY already do this via nowtv/skygo and SKY.
I certainly wouldn't dismiss your theory though.
It doesn't. I'm inviting you to make what you will of it.
Old 19-08-2017, 01:25   #88
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
It's the reality of your continuing cynicism, Den!

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

It doesn't. I'm inviting you to make what you will of it.

I agree with a lot that you say OB, but imo, and many others, there's no way that I would delay watching a live sports event, it will always be linear imo, ok it may be streamed by other providers, but it will always be watched by the majority of people as it happens.
Old 19-08-2017, 01:42   #89
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I agree with a lot that you say OB, but imo, and many others, there's no way that I would delay watching a live sports event, it will always be linear imo, ok it may be streamed by other providers, but it will always be watched by the majority of people as it happens.
...and that is the confusion, MM! You can live stream sporting events!
Old 19-08-2017, 08:21   #90
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Turner which is in fact a US broadcaster and will be making games available on it's channels also. It's only going OTT to extend the product to those who don't currently choose a pay TV package in the USA.
Closed Thread