Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space?

Old 04-09-2019, 19:36   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space?

AIUI, Adsmart on Sky uses up some of the disc space.

Is this the same for Virgin Media?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2019, 20:10   #2
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Does Adsmart now take up some of our disc space?

On-demand on Sky uses disk space, it stores information to help avoid buffering while watching content. Likely it does it for Adsmart for the same reasons.

Virgin Media's on-demand tech works consistently well enough it doesn't need to do that, so it will not need to use space on their boxes for the service I'd have thought.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 20:48   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
On-demand on Sky uses disk space, it stores information to help avoid buffering while watching content. Likely it does it for Adsmart for the same reasons.

Virgin Media's on-demand tech works consistently well enough it doesn't need to do that, so it will not need to use space on their boxes for the service I'd have thought.
No, targeted ads are downloaded onto the hard drive.

Quote:
Sky will send a library of ads over satellite to the hard disc of a Sky+HD set-top box. Based on the information its customers have provided, relevant ads are inserted into live broadcast streams.
Link
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 21:44   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
No, targeted ads are downloaded onto the hard drive.

Link
Clearly you misunderstood me, you just said what I thought I said.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:03   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Clearly you misunderstood me, you just said what I thought I said.
Really

Quote:

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:13   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Really
Yes really.

I said the reason it uses disk space on Sky. You said disk space is used.

I was saying that Sky uses disk space for both on-demand content and Adsmart, and the reason why was probably the same, that they wouldn't want a delay because of a inconsistent internet connection, so downloading to disk in advance is the answer.

Then I said VM's tech was better (in this regard at least) so they don't need to do this for on-demand, so therefore likely wouldn't need to for Adsmart.

Obviously a "live content stream" isn't "on-demand", I wasn't saying it was, I was simply saying that because Sky use a method for on-demand, and use the same method for Adsmart, the reasoning was probably the same.

I sincerely apologise if my written words in both my prior posts on this thread and right now don't convey this to you, or others. What I believed I was saying in my brain obviously didn't make it to screen as well as I thought. I didn't realise it could be misinterpreted quite so much.

Maybe I should have just said in reply to Richard: Yes, I believe that is what happens on Sky, I haven't a clue what VM do, but at a guess they probably don't.
Old 05-09-2019, 20:43   #7
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Hopefully Spiderplant will see this and know the answer.
Old 05-09-2019, 20:54   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

They are stored on the disc, but I've never seen more than half a dozen stored at any one time. So less space than a single ad-break of a recorded programme would take.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 22:13   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
They are stored on the disc, but I've never seen more than half a dozen stored at any one time. So less space than a single ad-break of a recorded programme would take.
Thanks, so it's as little as makes no difference then

Do these ads get sent over the internet and is there a way to view them as I don't think i'll ever see mine due to the way I watch TV (recordings using Quickview). I'm just intrigued as to what they think i'll be interested in!
Old 05-09-2019, 22:18   #10
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Hopefully Spiderplant will see this and know the answer.
Does the average end user care? Even a cache of 50 thirty second adverts would be negligible to overall disk space.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 22:31   #11
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Yes, they are sent over the internet.

Using Quickview won't prevent ad replacement happening. But it's really hard to tell when it's happening. The only way I can think is if an old recording includes recent adverts.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Does the average end user care?
The average end user won't be on this forum
Old 05-09-2019, 23:09   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, they are sent over the internet.

Using Quickview won't prevent ad replacement happening. But it's really hard to tell when it's happening. The only way I can think is if an old recording includes recent adverts.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

The average end user won't be on this forum
Never occurred to me it would work on old recordings. Will it do it to ones I did a year ago?
Old 06-09-2019, 08:40   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Will it do it to ones I did a year ago?
No, only ones recorded since July. There are markers in the recordings so the box can tell where each advert starts.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:41   #14
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No, only ones recorded since July. There are markers in the recordings so the box can tell where each advert starts.
I thought that might be the case. Many thanks spiderplant.
Old 06-09-2019, 13:52   #15
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I thought that might be the case. Many thanks spiderplant.

FFwd thru the ads - doesn't matter whether they are smart or not
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote