Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2022)
Closed Thread

Old 27-05-2022, 20:00   #811
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

I honestly can't see Paramount closing any of their '5' branded channels as they are doing well as a portfolio and each of them has a defined audience. ITV have 6 channels and Channel 4 have 6 channels, so Channel 5 won't want to have any fewer than 5.

Last edited by SonicMaster; 27-05-2022 at 21:30.
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2022, 22:38   #812
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
5USA is the highest rating of their spin-offs so it's the least likely to be one of the first of theirs to close.

CBeebies is significantly higher rating, they'd be reluctant to interrupt the schedule for that audience I'd imagine. I'd suggest they return a CBBC strand to the afternoons on BBC1, or more likely, BBC2. There's a lot of repeats on the latter, which this would reduce, and it would keep a regular broadcast element to CBBC content for those households for who on-demand streaming isn't an option.
A very sensible idea angus! Probably so sensible that the BBC won't even think about doing that!
Old 31-05-2022, 13:34   #813
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

LaLiga TV will be remove from Prime Video from June 30th.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ment_101022769

I have seen rumour that Premier Sports has lost a UK and Northern Ireland rights to LaLiga to a yet to be name broadcaster.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 01-06-2022, 22:13   #814
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

epsilon has posted on Digital Spy Forum that the following channels has been added to "Mix" package:

182. Comedy Central Extra
250. Discovery Channel HD
251. Animal Planet HD
252. Discovery Science
256. Discovery Turbo
257. Discovery History
258. Discovery Channel +1
259. Animal Planet +1
260. Discovery Science +1
261. Discovery History +1
265. Nat Geo WILD HD
266. National Geographic
272. Sky History 2 HD
335. The Box
342. Kerrang

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ment_101033579
Old 02-06-2022, 00:27   #815
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
epsilon has posted on Digital Spy Forum that the following channels has been added to "Mix" package:

182. Comedy Central Extra
250. Discovery Channel HD
251. Animal Planet HD
252. Discovery Science
256. Discovery Turbo
257. Discovery History
258. Discovery Channel +1
259. Animal Planet +1
260. Discovery Science +1
261. Discovery History +1
265. Nat Geo WILD HD
266. National Geographic
272. Sky History 2 HD
335. The Box
342. Kerrang

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...ment_101033579
So VM are basically upgrading Mix customers to Fun and simplifying the legacy tiers.
Old 02-06-2022, 00:57   #816
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
So VM are basically upgrading Mix customers to Fun and simplifying the legacy tiers.
More like upgrading the Mix tier to include the same channels as the Fun tier, otherwise they could have simply migrated Mix customers to Fun. There are still differences to "app" access codes - at a guess just Virgin's own kids on demand content.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:52   #817
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
More like upgrading the Mix tier to include the same channels as the Fun tier, otherwise they could have simply migrated Mix customers to Fun. There are still differences to "app" access codes - at a guess just Virgin's own kids on demand content.
That's why I used the word "basically", I didn't know the details and there was no mention of a letter being sent to customers like when M+ TV customers were moved to Fun.

I didn't know Fun gets Virgin's Kids On-Demand content, I've never checked.

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier for VM to add services to a tier rather than migrate people to a tier in these types of circumstances i.e. large numbers of customers. That's probably why M+ is still on their systems, despite customers being "moved" onto Fun, they just matched the channels.
Old 02-06-2022, 16:23   #818
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
I think it only on offer for June.
Old 02-06-2022, 17:42   #819
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Shame if it is. It seemed like the right timing to simplify their legacy tiers too i.e. ages since they last did it. It certainly read that way.
Old 02-06-2022, 18:01   #820
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Quote:
Shame if it is. It seemed like the right timing to simplify their legacy tiers too i.e. ages since they last did it. It certainly read that way.
It is a simplification to retire 'Fun' as a specific TV tier.

But it is a little different at the moment to those active package changes where customers get moved to Mixit or Maxit.
Old 02-06-2022, 19:09   #821
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It is a simplification to retire 'Fun' as a specific TV tier.

But it is a little different at the moment to those active package changes where customers get moved to Mixit or Maxit.
Thanks for clarification BenMcr.
Old 02-06-2022, 20:44   #822
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
That's why I used the word "basically", I didn't know the details and there was no mention of a letter being sent to customers like when M+ TV customers were moved to Fun.

I didn't know Fun gets Virgin's Kids On-Demand content, I've never checked.

They were actually moved onto a different tier, the original M+ (& More) tier code(s) were unchanged with the redundant tier codes still added to new channels as they were added. M+ codes haven't been added to channels recently added to the Mix pack, so a departure from the norm.

Quote:
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if it's easier for VM to add services to a tier rather than migrate people to a tier in these types of circumstances i.e. large numbers of customers. That's probably why M+ is still on their systems, despite customers being "moved" onto Fun, they just matched the channels.
The recent changes preserve the "Mix" pack but with "Fun" pack channel parity. I would think the best plan would be to migrate everyone to the Mixit (Player) + personal picks model and retire all of the old codes but that may be some way off.
Old 02-06-2022, 21:24   #823
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:

They were actually moved onto a different tier, the original M+ (& More) tier code(s) were unchanged with the redundant tier codes still added to new channels as they were added. M+ codes haven't been added to channels recently added to the Mix pack, so a departure from the norm.
I wasn't referring to tier codes when I said M+ customers were "moved" to Fun, I was referring to the wording on the letters they sent to us as customers.
Quote:

The recent changes preserve the "Mix" pack but with "Fun" pack channel parity. I would think the best plan would be to migrate everyone to the Mixit (Player) + personal picks model and retire all of the old codes but that may be some way off.
I think moving legacy customers to Mixit and Personal Picks would be be a nightmare until numbers are pretty small. Best to wait until the numbers are small from natural customer churn. Writing to large numbers and getting them to understand and then pick Personal Picks, I can't imagine going well, either from a customer relations point of view, or administration-wise.
Old 02-06-2022, 22:25   #824
epsilon
cf.geek

Quote:
I wasn't referring to tier codes when I said M+ customers were "moved" to Fun, I was referring to the wording on the letters they sent to us as customers.
I wasn't really focussing on the tier codes either, just stating what had happened to them with each change. I think Ben summed up the current changes quite well as a "simplification". There is now channel parity, so a future migration to "Fun" wouldn't be too difficult. In the meantime, there is a marketing opportunity for customer services to inform customers of the extra channels and to offer them an update to a current package with even more channels. Virgin have already been seen to be rolling over legacy Full House customers to Maxit + Kids.

Quote:
I think moving legacy customers to Mixit and Personal Picks would be be a nightmare until numbers are pretty small. Best to wait until the numbers are small from natural customer churn. Writing to large numbers and getting them to understand and then pick Personal Picks, I can't imagine going well, either from a customer relations point of view, or administration-wise.
Probably better to offer them a newer package now and get as many customers onto the current packs ASAP. Depending on how the change is "sold" it may even reduce churn. Prices could be held at the current level with any increase built into the annual price increase. It doesn't make sense to hang onto legacy packages when Virgin are moving into new areas such as IPTV, with entirely new subscription tiers. "Mix" users determined to keep their existing bundle can be rolled over to "Fun" with channel parity, kicking the migration of "Fun" down the road. As I said, retiring all of the old codes may still be some way off.

I posted the current differences between Mix and Fun on DS Forum, if anyone wants to follow Media Boy's earlier link to that thread.
Old 06-06-2022, 15:51   #825
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

As far my Sources know - Virgin Media UK has still to start talks with Warner Bros Discovery after a merger over a new deal.

So Virgin has to pay out two times per month to Warner Bros Discovery as far as I know.
Closed Thread