Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 11

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Windows 11

Old 31-08-2021, 16:40   #61
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Windows 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
windows 11 offically release on October 5

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...-on-october-5/
I'll still stay on win7 while I can get updates. Then-I'm off to Linux.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-08-2021, 16:46   #62
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

The Flighting info they have been sending out is what we are on in the Dev and Beta group are close to RTM but we still have not seen Android Apps in the Windows Store. I currently have build 168 on 2 SSDs one set to flight Dev and the other Beta. I am hoping to see the Android apps soon

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

I see point 7 gives me hope

Quote:
Windows 11 comes with a new Microsoft Store rebuilt with an all-new design making it easier to search and discover your favorite apps, games, shows, and movies in one trusted location. We look forward to continuing our journey to bring Android apps to Windows 11 and the Microsoft Store through our collaboration with Amazon and Intel; this will start with a preview for Windows Insiders over the coming months.
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 16:49   #63
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I am hoping to see the Android apps soon

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

I see point 7 gives me hope
The problem with that is the Android Apps are from the Amazon App Store. You won't get any apps that are just in the Play Store, and as Google move to a new app bundle format, it'll be interesting to see how easy and cost effective it will be for companies to publish apps in two different ways in addition to two app stores

https://android-developers.googleblo...undles-is.html

Quote:
To bring these benefits to more users and focus on modern Android distribution that benefits all developers, Google Play will start requiring new apps to be published with the Android App Bundle starting August 2021. This will replace the APK as the standard publishing format.
Old 31-08-2021, 16:54   #64
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The problem with that is the Android Apps are from the Amazon App Store. You won't get any apps that are just in the Play Store, and as Google move to a new app bundle format, it'll be interesting to see how easy and cost effective it will be for companies to publish apps in two different ways in addition to two app stores

https://android-developers.googleblo...undles-is.html
I do not foresee an issue tbh, you can sideload and there are literally billions of apks out there in the wild not on the app store you can play with.

Plus I am sure devs who want to publish on Play could easily enough put their code in an APK also
Old 31-08-2021, 17:08   #65
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'll still stay on win7 while I can get updates. Then-I'm off to Linux.
well if you got the ESU bypass you got to Jan 2023 for updates in windows 7 i am running windows 11 have been for a while no problems what so ever looking forward to official release and windows 10 is supported to aleast 2025 don't think many will go to Linux but we will see

which Linux do you prefer Pip only really tried Ubuntu and Linux mint here while they both fine they will never beat windows IMHO

Last edited by Dave42; 31-08-2021 at 17:19.
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 17:19   #66
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

The only Windows updates I allow anywhere near are the ones for Windows Defender. My Win 7 (SP1) is running fine & dandy, although gaming is becoming an issue . . . not necessarily due to the OS software, but due to the extravagant and expensive hardware now required to run them.

Gaming (older classics) on Linux is coming on at a nice pace, for anything else there's a PS4 or PS5 to look forward to
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 17:32   #67
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
well if you got the ESU bypass you got to Jan 2023 for updates in windows 7 i am running windows 11 have been for a while no problems what so ever looking forward to official release and windows 10 is supported to aleast 2025 don't think many will go to Linux but we will see

which Linux do you prefer Pip only really tried Ubuntu and Linux mint here while they both fine they will never beat windows IMHO
Yes I have the ESU bypass. Linux version I am looking at will possibly be Zorin (will be testing it though first) or pehaps mint, haven't decided yet.

https://zorin.com/os/
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 00:29   #68
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

hearing some good things about windows 11. is everyone going to get it on 5th October?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 00:44   #69
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
hearing some good things about windows 11. is everyone going to get it on 5th October?
it is not being rolled out to everyone with a compatible machine on the 5th it will take a few months. You could force it or download an ISO. I assume it will be the same as with 10 and you will need to do an in place upgrade to get a digital licence but nothing stopping a clean install after

It always used to be the rule in the IT community to not upgrade an OS and tbh I still think it is better to clean install and start again after you have the licence
Old 26-09-2021, 00:47   #70
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
it being rolled out but you be to download media creation tool to get ISO if not offered it on the 5th i been running it since first beta running very good indeed here
Old 26-09-2021, 00:47   #71
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I’ve been offered it already (Windows Insider Programme) as a regular update - thinking about it….
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 00:50   #72
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’ve been offered it already (Windows Insider Programme) as a regular update - thinking about it….
you could always try it and roll back within 10 days if you dont like it
Old 26-09-2021, 00:56   #73
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I reverted my Beta Channel build to Windows 10 ready to run the upgrade so I get the licence. I also have a Dev channel build which is beyond the RC build that the Beta Channel have. Stil waiting on the Android part of it which will come to the dev channel first I believe. Disappointed it is not with us for launch

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

Quote:
you could always try it and roll back within 10 days if you dont like it
I always keep disk images before I do anything like that
Old 26-09-2021, 01:19   #74
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I reverted my Beta Channel build to Windows 10 ready to run the upgrade so I get the licence. I also have a Dev channel build which is beyond the RC build that the Beta Channel have. Stil waiting on the Android part of it which will come to the dev channel first I believe. Disappointed it is not with us for launch

---------- Post added at 23:56 ---------- Previous post was at 23:54 ----------

I always keep disk images before I do anything like that
Ah if you do the windows insider program and get a beta version of windows 11 its not an official license?

Also what are the pros for android apps being on windows 11? I've heard about it but just wondering how ground breaking its going to be? Had twitter and whatsapp already on windows 10 etc
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 12:48   #75
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

My notification is an icon on the bottom right hand corner of the screen which states
Quote:
Upgrade to Windows 11 is ready for your PC
And if I right click it and take the option "open Windows update", I get this screen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W11update screen.jpg (119.0 KB, 88 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 26-09-2021 at 12:51.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote