Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 14-09-2018, 08:40   #1201
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit Discussion (Follow First Post Rules!)

That is one angry chappy. So much rage. (Can't lie though, I have watched loads of him. Something funny about how upset he gets).
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2018, 09:17   #1202
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45516678

Quote:
The Bank of England's governor has warned the cabinet that a chaotic no-deal Brexit could crash house prices and send another financial shock through the economy.

Mark Carney met senior ministers on Thursday to discuss the risks of a disorderly exit from the EU.

His worst-case scenario was that house prices could fall as much as 35% over three years, a source told the BBC.
I suspect he's going to face strong criticism from the hard brexiteers..
Old 14-09-2018, 09:22   #1203
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

He is just planning for the 'worst-case' scenario as the article says which is his job. The hard Brexiteers will be angry but like when we actually left the Bank of England seem to have been the only ones prepared for it. Cameron resigned, The Brexit team fought amongst themselves to be leader and the Government were unprepared.
Old 14-09-2018, 09:48   #1204
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Apologies for the late message but I did promise to give some perspectives from some work colleagues on Brexit. I was in meetings in the US with three colleagues from continental Europe and we had a good discussion over a few beers one night on Brexit. Two people were from EU countries and the third was from a country tat wants to join.

Can you guess which countries these people are from?

Person 1 - he said it was a shame the UK was leaving as his country always saw the UK as a kindered spirit within the EU. Generally we voted the same way and we were a useful ally against some larger more 'federal' nations

Person 2 - a bit more vocal! He saw Brexit as a triumph of nationalism over international cooperation and the UK was trying to 'turn back the clock' to pre-1939 while the rest of the world has moved on. I made the point that the UK hasn't been invaded for over a thousand years and s has never really felt the breakdown of diplomacy to a great extent which he liked. He got in to a big argument with a Trump supporter on the same issue!

Person 3 - from a country that wants to join. From the outside looking in, it was a club that non EU European countries really want to join. Accepting a small loss of sovereignty was a small price to pay for the prosperity of being an EU country. Big hint - she made the point that they changed the name of the country to ease accession to the EU.

It was a fun discussion. I tried to play devils advocate and use some of the arguments seen on here and elsewhere on leaving
Old 14-09-2018, 09:58   #1205
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
Apologies for the late message but I did promise to give some perspectives from some work colleagues on Brexit. I was in meetings in the US with three colleagues from continental Europe and we had a good discussion over a few beers one night on Brexit. Two people were from EU countries and the third was from a country tat wants to join.

Can you guess which countries these people are from?

Person 1 - he said it was a shame the UK was leaving as his country always saw the UK as a kindered spirit within the EU. Generally we voted the same way and we were a useful ally against some larger more 'federal' nations

Person 2 - a bit more vocal! He saw Brexit as a triumph of nationalism over international cooperation and the UK was trying to 'turn back the clock' to pre-1939 while the rest of the world has moved on. I made the point that the UK hasn't been invaded for over a thousand years and s has never really felt the breakdown of diplomacy to a great extent which he liked. He got in to a big argument with a Trump supporter on the same issue!

Person 3 - from a country that wants to join. From the outside looking in, it was a club that non EU European countries really want to join. Accepting a small loss of sovereignty was a small price to pay for the prosperity of being an EU country. Big hint - she made the point that they changed the name of the country to ease accession to the EU.

It was a fun discussion. I tried to play devils advocate and use some of the arguments seen on here and elsewhere on leaving
1. Denmark
2. France
3. FYR Macedonia
Old 14-09-2018, 10:14   #1206
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post

Strange how they don't have a clear concise plan themselves when pressed on it.
Old 14-09-2018, 10:30   #1207
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Carney should have kept his gob shut. His words can spook the market to cause what he's predicting. The Brexiteers would be right to complain as Carney's remarks are gratuitous.

And while I'm there, his chief fan, Hammond, should be carpeted for allowing this scaremongering to occur; although he won't be as he is scaremonger in chief.

I'm beginning to think Hammond is in the same league of **** as Juncker and Selmayr.

---------- Post added at 10:30 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Strange how they don't have a clear concise plan themselves when pressed on it.
What's that got to do with Carney's words of doom?

And what 'clear concise plan' is possible now at this stage other than dropping out of the EU on the appointed date and then sort things out? Two years ago, it was possible to have a clear plan which May pretended to have when she conned us by saying "Brexit means Brexit".

We have to get out; Juncker's speech proves that. We are not compatible with a federated Europe and the Euro - topics that the Remainers on this thread avoid getting into as far as I've seen. Never mind German hegemony a subtle way of winning domination by "peaceful" means.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-09-2018, 10:50   #1208
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Carney should have kept his gob shut. His words can spook the market to cause what he's predicting. The Brexiteers would be right to complain as Carney's remarks are gratuitous.
This was a briefing to the cabinet. The question is who leaked it? Might be a BoE person, might a Remainer cabinet minister. Either way Carney is meant to inform them of the worst case scenarios he is prepared for. You would be lining up for his head if something bad happens and the BoE weren't prepared for it because it was too negative.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:02   #1209
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
This was a briefing to the cabinet. The question is who leaked it? Might be a BoE person, might a Remainer cabinet minister. Either way Carney is meant to inform them of the worst case scenarios he is prepared for. You would be lining up for his head if something bad happens and the BoE weren't prepared for it because it was too negative.
I believe that Carney was being cynical. He knows that the Cabinet is a sieve and he is an unrepentant Remainer. He has no business being so partisan given the Referendum result.

I don't want his head; I want him to be more balanced. None of his predictions so far in relation to the effects of Brexit have materialised.

Old 14-09-2018, 11:05   #1210
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Might have been an opponent of Carney or a Brexiter too.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

Quote:
I believe that Carney was being cynical. He knows that the Cabinet is a sieve and he is an unrepentant Remainer. He has no business being so partisan given the Referendum result.

I don't want his head; I want him to be more balanced. None of his predictions so far in relation to the effects of Brexit have materialised.
He's not partisan, he's realistic. Businesses are having these debates too but I appreciate you may not be at the table for these.
What specific predictions do you disagree with, bearing in mind Brexit has not yet happened.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:10   #1211
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

So if you don't agree with his sentiments its obviously not balanced as his job as a independent Governor of the Bank of England is to voice his concerns on possible future economic scenarios.
Old 14-09-2018, 11:35   #1212
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

https://www.ft.com/content/0832eb42-...4-6f049d06439c

Is a balanced article on Carney.

Old 14-09-2018, 12:08   #1213
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Can't access anything on that link apart from how to subscribe to FT.
Old 14-09-2018, 12:10   #1214
denphone
Still alive and fighting

+1
Old 14-09-2018, 12:34   #1215
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
1. Denmark
2. France
3. FYR Macedonia
Got the last one right and number 1 was nearly right.

The answers are;

1 - Sweden
2 - Germany
3 - Macedonia

Bo, my Swedish buddy apparently echos the general 'cautious europhilia' of Sweden. They like the EU but are wary of too much integration too fast. He admitted that it would be a cold day in hell before Sweden joined the Euro! There is some resentment in Sweden that some countries in the EU haven't been taking their fair share of refugees, hence the rise of the SD party in the election this weekend. Many Swedes would like a pro-rated acceptance of refugee numbers across the EU which of course would go down like a cup of cold sick in the UK.

Ralf, my German friend is in his early 50s and so is still of that fiercely anti-nationalistic post WWII mindset of many Germans of that generation. There is very much a 'never again' attitude with older Germans and he is deeply concerned about the rise of nationalism both inside and outside of Germany.

Natasha, our Macedonian doesn't have a high opinion of Greece as their closest neighbours. In her opinion, the financial crisis in Greece was almost all self inflicted.
Closed Thread