Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 23-11-2018, 22:40   #3646
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Because it would potentially be the biggest betrayal of democracy this country, if not the West, has ever seen.

Parliament may struggle to retain it’s authority.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

There is a lot of potential damage to the EU. Although they have’t had To face that down yet because they have never once thought that we would walk away.
On the contrary - I believe they've done something truly audacious and actually planned for the fact we may walk away.

Ironically, something we clearly have not fully risk assessed and made preparations for which is why our Chancellor is openly saying if we don't back the deal it will be chaos and no deal will cost our economy tens of billions.

On your first point Parliament will always retain it's authority. What are you proposing? Revolution? Armed struggle?
Advertisement
Old 23-11-2018, 22:45   #3647
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
. I've used a turn of phrase in quotation marks that I wouldn't ordinarily use.
well don’t use it now then.

Quote:
Are you now making the contention that you didn't mean that this gives us a significant negotiating advantage?
I didn’t say advantage.

You proposed what would we use, if not the £39bn, as leverage in our negotiation.

I simply advised that £39bn is but our annual trade with the EU, and some countries more than others rely on this. EU negotiators would be wise to factor this in, if it was threatened due to political point scoring rather than sensible decisions.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Well, judging by the last pro-Brexit rally of four people, I don't think the Police will have too many issues on their hands if Brexit doesn't happen.
It’s always the great unwashed that take to the streets.

The silent majority always do their talking at the ballot box.
Quote:
However, I do think:
1) That the court next Thursday will state that Article 50 can be withdrawn
2) That Theresa May will get her deal through Parliament. If the first event happens as I predict, it could make her position stronger as she can argue my Brexit or no Brexit.
I don’t see any of that happening......at the moment.

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Quote:
On the contrary - I believe they've done something truly audacious and actually planned for the fact we may walk away.
How so?

Quote:
On your first point Parliament will always retain it's authority. What are you proposing? Revolution? Armed struggle?
Fair enough, badly worded.

Replace parliament with establishment.
Old 23-11-2018, 22:57   #3648
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
well don’t use it now then.

I didn’t say advantage.
Did you not say advantage because we don't have one?

Quote:
You proposed what would we use, if not the £39bn, as leverage in our negotiation.

I simply advised that £39bn is but our annual trade with the EU, and some countries more than others rely on this. EU negotiators would be wise to factor this in, if it was threatened due to political point scoring rather than sensible decisions.
I'm convinced the EU will have factored this in, and the extent we rely on the EU for our imports.

We cannot readily import such a significant amount from non-EU territories, there's no guarantees alternative suppliers would exist and if they did that they would have the capacity to deliver for our manufacturing industries that rely on 'just in time' methods. There's no guarantee all such items from out with the EU would meet UK regulatory standards.

---------- Post added at 21:57 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

Quote:

How so?

Fair enough, badly worded.

Replace parliament with establishment.
The decision to leave the EU isn't grounded in any economic reality. It isn't a massive leap to decide that the same electorate who chose this, and the MPs guiding it, may decide to just leave without any kind of trade deal in a belief we can go back to the days of Rule Britannia. To not prepare for that eventuality would be reckless by the EU, and making such preparations would give them huge leverage in late stage negotiations (like now).

I've got bad news the Britannia is a clapped out old boat in the port of Leith attached to a shopping centre for down and outs.

How does the "Establishment" loses it's authority? The who idea of an "Establishment" is that they influence both sides of a debate and both main political parties. Who replaces them under a FPTP electoral system?
Old 23-11-2018, 23:03   #3649
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm convinced
but don’t actually know so it’s just your opinion and pretty meaningless.... but carry on.
Quote:
the EU will have factored this in, and the extent we rely on the EU for our imports.
I’m not that sure, they may have, but in their smug little castle they may have only given it a cursory glance........lidl and Aldi would be screwed I know that much!

Quote:
We cannot readily import such a significant amount from non-EU territories
once again I don’t see a link to your stress test so can only assume that’s what you may think but you have no evidence to back it up.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:09   #3650
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
but don’t actually know so it’s just your opinion and pretty meaningless.... but carry on.

I’m not that sure, they may have, but in their smug little castle they may have only given it a cursory glance........lidl and Aldi would be screwed I know that much!

once again I don’t see a link to your stress test so can only assume that’s what you may think but you have no evidence to back it up.
So the people of Britain will stop going to budget supermarkets and that'll crush the German economy? That's even better than the German cars line.

Can you prove that the EU are in a "little castle" or that they have only given a "cursory glance" at their trading arrangements with the UK?

You are guessing even more than I am, however in the absence of any meaningful responses to anything I put to you have decided to "play the man" instead of playing the ball. (Note: I've put quotation marks there because it's a footballing expression).

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that non-EU countries don't ordinarily have £300bn of capacity in their manufacturing processes/service capacity readily available in the expectation that another may ditch it's most significant trading partners and urgently need a replacement. It'd be a highly inefficient way to operate.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:15   #3651
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
How would remain, the status quo,be cataclysmic?
Because it would be status quo in name only (SQINO). If we are in, any Europhilic PM could agree to the Euro and even federalisation.

The EU is an evolving monster that wants to take away all national identity and subjugate everything to Brussels and their hegemonic paymasters.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:18   #3652
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
The decision to leave the EU isn't grounded in any economic reality.
Economics was but one factor.

Quote:
It isn't a massive leap to decide that the same electorate who chose this, and the MPs guiding it, may decide to just leave without any kind of trade deal in a belief we can go back to the days of Rule Britannia.
I’m not sure that WTO was around during Rule Britannia, but that where we would go.

Quote:
How does the "Establishment" loses it's authority? The who idea of an "Establishment" is that they influence both sides of a debate and both main political parties. Who replaces them under a FPTP electoral system?
The Westminster centric metro MPs that believe country consists of the Home Counties.

The country being ignored by these gave rise to the BNP, this evolved into support for UKIP. Support for UKIP forced the issue of the referendum......and here we are.

The referendum was supposed to halt the rise of this parties, and beacon the last election it did. But that before the establishment yet again told the North, that they were stupid..........
Old 23-11-2018, 23:23   #3653
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Well, with every poll now predicting that a better-informed electorate would majority back remain, Brexiters have been looking around for someone who disagrees with such polls.
I've always thought that you'd need the computational skills of Diane Abbott to think that the electorate would now majority back leave. And it appears I'm right. Diane Abbott has got her magic calculator out and believes that the British public would majority back leave!
No further questions m'lord!
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8649256.html
Old 23-11-2018, 23:25   #3654
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
So the people of Britain will stop going to budget supermarkets and that'll crush the German economy? That's even better than the German cars line.
Sense of humour bypass award goes to......

Quote:
Can you prove that the EU are in a "little castle" or that they have only given a "cursory glance" at their trading arrangements with the UK?
No, but that sentence was obviously my opinion, and I wasn’t trying to pass it off as a factual statement.

Quote:
I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that non-EU countries don't ordinarily have £300bn of capacity in their manufacturing processes/service capacity readily available in the expectation that another may ditch it's most significant trading partners and urgently need a replacement. It'd be a highly inefficient way to operate.
You don’t know where shortfalls may be, you don’t know where the slack can be taken up.

You don’t know anything, so any proposition is opinion only.

I’m happy to read facts and links to back up any of your ramblings. You post very little.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:27   #3655
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
The decision to leave the EU isn't grounded in any economic reality.
It probably was for the Brexit elite who are unhappy about the increasing restrictions being placed on tax havens.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:34   #3656
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Sense of humour bypass award goes to......

No, but that sentence was obviously my opinion, and I wasn’t trying to pass it off as a factual statement.

You don’t know where shortfalls may be, you don’t know where the slack can be taken up.

You don’t know anything, so any proposition is opinion only.

I’m happy to read facts and links to back up any of your ramblings. You post very little.
You equally can’t prove any of your claims that we can negotiate better than we have by threatening the EU over trade, that anyone is in place to fill the gaps if we didn’t trade with the EU or that the EU couldn’t fill their gaps from us by trading with each other. You are the one trying to claim we could do something we haven’t.

By pointing out the challenges my evidence is that we haven’t managed this in two years. You claim it’s because No. 10 is weak negotiating, but can’t prove this either.

The fact is Brexit is irrational economically, which you concede, and we are negotiating with the political arm of a trading bloc.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:45   #3657
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
You equally can’t prove any of your claims that we can negotiate better than we have by threatening the EU over trade
I’ve never said “threaten” that’s just you putting emotive words in mouths as usual.

Quote:
that anyone is in place to fill the gaps if we didn’t trade with the EU or that the EU couldn’t fill their gaps from us by trading with each other. You are the one trying to claim we could do something we haven’t.
Do something we haven’t....or do something we couldn’t? What are you saying

Quote:
No. 10 is weak negotiating, but can’t prove this either.
I would argue that the fact we have this deal is evidence enough for that argument.

Are you proposing we have arrived at this deal from a strong negotiation????

Quote:
The fact is Brexit is irrational economically, which you concede, and we are negotiating with the political arm of a trading bloc.
I concede nothing, my position was that the economy was but one factor in the rationale.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:52   #3658
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I’ve never said “threaten” that’s just you putting emotive words in mouths as usual.

Do something we haven’t....or do something we couldn’t? What are you saying

I would argue that the fact we have this deal is evidence enough for that argument.

Are you proposing we have arrived at this deal from a strong negotiation????

I concede nothing, my position was that the economy was but one factor in the rationale.
It’s pointless debating if you insist on selectively quoting my posts and cannot maintain a consistent stance, never mind support one.

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It probably was for the Brexit elite who are unhappy about the increasing restrictions being placed on tax havens.
I accept that. If you are Jacob Rees Mogg and move your financial interests to the Irish Republic you can maintain the benefits of being in the EU while making money out of the financial crash here.
Old 23-11-2018, 23:52   #3659
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Look everybody - the question to ask is what is the £39 billion buying?

The Leavers will say it buys bugger all under this agreement; it won't even guarantee a trade deal because of the weasel wording of the Protocol.

The Remainers will say in that case we shouldn't leave.

Given that we're leaving, the Remainers should get real and back No Deal which guarantees us our sovereignty. We are the world's 5th or 6th largest economy and the initial dip will be just a blip.

The EU may well collapse anyway, which the Remainers haven't taken into account.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-11-2018, 00:01   #3660
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
It’s pointless debating if you insist on selectively quoting my posts and cannot maintain a consistent stance, never mind support one.
Where have I been inconsistent?