Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 21:48   #2656
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Brexit

So . . no medicine, no food, no clothes, no cars, no ferries, no flights, no vacuums (Dyson lol) no banks, no utility services, and the police and armed forces in action quelling the mass riots and civil unrest.

Hospitals will close, fruit, veg & flowers will rot in the fields, chicken will have a funny taste to it, and the pound will only be worth 15 Yen.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, the Irish are probably going to start their agro again.

Bring it on
Advertisement
Old 05-11-2018, 21:51   #2657
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I'm not worried about anything we have had a referendum we are leaving ,any one can commission a pole and word the questions in such a way to sway the result in one direction ,and that's what makes them useless and irrelevant.

so even if it comes back that leave is now at 70% i would still say the figures are worthless .
They've asked the same question as they did in 2016 so that sorts out your first concern. And yes, anyone can commission a Pole, but commissioning a poll is harder.
Old 05-11-2018, 21:56   #2658
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
So . . no medicine, no food, no clothes, no cars, no ferries, no flights, no vacuums (Dyson lol) no banks, no utility services, and the police and armed forces in action quelling the mass riots and civil unrest.

Hospitals will close, fruit, veg & flowers will rot in the fields, chicken will have a funny taste to it, and the pound will only be worth 15 Yen.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, the Irish are probably going to start their agro again.

Bring it on
That’s a very accurate appraisal for the chicken Littles amongst us.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:52   #2659
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I believe these agreements need to be recognized by other regulators though. A state can't just issue it and be done with it, it's a process. Obviously the UK would be rapidly accepted but there might be disruption for a bit. Although I suspect it will be fudged.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45019603

I still don't think just leaving is realistic. The problem above is solvable but it's just one more item in a list of them. Institutions and businesses have just become to integrated with the rest of the world that to suddenly lose the mechanisms is a disruption the government will want to avoid at all costs. It's easy to suggest we just leave but we're not the ones implementing it and we're not the ones who the public will blame if it goes wrong.

Despite the bravado on here I don't think people will tolerate queues into Dover before losing their minds let alone huge economic disruption and job losses. Britain is not a country that is used to things going badly wrong for I think for some that leads them to think it can't.

Last edited by Damien; 06-11-2018 at 09:01.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:20   #2660
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
It's easy to suggest we just leave but we're not the ones implementing it and we're not the ones who the public will blame if it goes wrong.
It's going to go wrong. No matter what. Anyone that thinks immediately after brexit things will carry on as they are, is deluded. It will be a mess regardless, it was always going to be.

The question is though in what would be our best position after we come out to get over the shock quickly and start rebuilding.

If we're still shackled to the EU then I think it will be harder for us to emerge stronger.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:39   #2661
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It's going to go wrong. No matter what. Anyone that thinks immediately after brexit things will carry on as they are, is deluded. It will be a mess regardless, it was always going to be.

The question is though in what would be our best position after we come out to get over the shock quickly and start rebuilding.

If we're still shackled to the EU then I think it will be harder for us to emerge stronger.
I don't think there is a reason why having a slow wind down of our integration with the EU is the wrong approach though. It took decades for these ties to be built up and people are being impatient in expecting to be untied in a couple of years.

Slowly detangling to avoid a big economic shock doesn't mean we don't leave. It just keeps the country as strong as possible before we move on.

If you're a Brexiter then I would think this is smart as well. If you pull the plug then how do you know what happens in the chaos? You can't predict what will happen with a new government and a panicked electorate. Maybe EEA seems like the nearest available lifeboat. Hence why there is an appetite among some Remainers, not me, to vote down May's deal and see what happens next. To shake the kaleidoscope and see where the pieces fall.

Even if that scenario is avoided then we would be a nation going into trade deals desperate for a deal. Hardly an advantageous scenario. Even relating to our negotiations with Europe I don't see how we get a better deal if we're in a free fall.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:15   #2662
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't think there is a reason why having a slow wind down of our integration with the EU is the wrong approach though. It took decades for these ties to be built up and people are being impatient in expecting to be untied in a couple of years.

Slowly detangling to avoid a big economic shock doesn't mean we don't leave. It just keeps the country as strong as possible before we move on.

If you're a Brexiter then I would think this is smart as well. If you pull the plug then how do you know what happens in the chaos? You can't predict what will happen with a new government and a panicked electorate. Maybe EEA seems like the nearest available lifeboat. Hence why there is an appetite among some Remainers, not me, to vote down May's deal and see what happens next. To shake the kaleidoscope and see where the pieces fall.

Even if that scenario is avoided then we would be a nation going into trade deals desperate for a deal. Hardly an advantageous scenario. Even relating to our negotiations with Europe I don't see how we get a better deal if we're in a free fall.
I’m afraid the Remainers who vote or want a vote to ensure May’s proposed deal collapses will get a nasty shock when they realise that this results in a hard Brexit!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:34   #2663
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
If we left with no deal, most if not all treaties would continue as normal until they were renegotiated.
So we should just leave with no deal and take it from there but most if not all treaties will continue? Schrödingers Brexit...
Old 06-11-2018, 10:59   #2664
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
It's going to go wrong. No matter what. Anyone that thinks immediately after brexit things will carry on as they are, is deluded. It will be a mess regardless, it was always going to be
Yup, exactly like it was sold to the Great British Public. Jeez ..
Old 06-11-2018, 11:22   #2665
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I’m afraid the Remainers who vote or want a vote to ensure May’s proposed deal collapses will get a nasty shock when they realise that this results in a hard Brexit!
Maybe but maybe the Brexiters will also be surprised at what's unleashed. The people involved in this process do not seem to know precisely what will happen and neither does anyone else
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28   #2666
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Yup, exactly like it was sold to the Great British Public. Jeez ..
I don't anyone believed we would just dance out of the EU, straight into economic utopia.

Don't take the UK public for fools
Old 06-11-2018, 12:50   #2667
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Maybe but maybe the Brexiters will also be surprised at what's unleashed. The people involved in this process do not seem to know precisely what will happen and neither does anyone else
Well, you would certainly get that impression from the press reports!

The media is bound to take this attitude because they do not have access to the confidential negotiations that are taking place.

I think most people will be pleasantly surprised when they see the result of the work that has gone into this, with a well constructed withdrawal agreement.

Then watch as the remainers shout from the rooftops that we will never get a trade deal. All very predictable.

For those who are genuinely worried about this, as opposed to those who are just making political points, while a hard Brexit would not result in the sky caving in, we will almost certainly have a negotiated withdrawal agreement within weeks. Don't listen to the scare merchants who would have you believe that the end of the world is nigh. They've been saying such things for many years and we are still here.
Old 06-11-2018, 13:12   #2668
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I don't anyone believed we would just dance out of the EU, straight into economic utopia.

Don't take the UK public for fools
But how much would they really tolerate in the name of Brexit? As I said it's easy to say we'll deal with it when it's theoretical with talk of GDP and just in time manufacturing.

However how much real consequence will people put up with? How much disruption before they get angry and demand the politicians do something, anything, to alleviate it?

That said I think there will be either a deal or a stalling mechanism by another name. I don't think either the UK or the EU will go with no deal because it's just a massive headache.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:17   #2669
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
And the ones who really want to leave like me - do not give a shit one way or the other, leaving was not just about money FFS, we just want to get out of that cancerous club.

This is why we need to leave the EU in it's entirety - we do not need to be in a con job membership club to do trade deals. The other benefit is, we also save £39 Billion divorce bill, another con the corrupted EU said we owe them, they have robbed us and conned us for years - time to get on and leave that toxic shambolic union.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:35   #2670
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
And the ones who really want to leave like me - do not give a shit one way or the other, leaving was not just about money FFS, we just want to get out of that cancerous club.

This is why we need to leave the EU in it's entirety - we do not need to be in a con job membership club to do trade deals. The other benefit is, we also save £39 Billion divorce bill, another con the corrupted EU said we owe them, they have robbed us and conned us for years - time to get on and leave that toxic shambolic union.
In the spirit of 'innocent until proven guilty', in what way have we been 'robbed and conned' and what judicial actions have rectified this situation?
Closed Thread