Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC changes implementation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

BBC changes implementation

Old 18-02-2019, 11:02   #1
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
BBC changes implementation

I find the way both the BBC and Virgin Media are handling the various changes odd.

Now I'll put aside the BBC's blame for the moment, as though it's regarding the same event, the BBC2 /BBC Scotland thing, their fault is on Freeview, not Cable platform.

With the previous BBC HD switch VM put up plenty of information on Tivo Info Banners and the like.

With the recent STV HD switch they left it to the last minute, but VM did do it, and they did so PRIOR to the event.

Now we have a twin set of events. BBC2 Scotland closed at midnight to be replaced by BBC national feed on 18th (today) and, on VM alone, on the 19th four BBC HD channels are being swapped into SD channel positions.

Neither of these events has had on-screen information so far and the BBC2 Scotland event has happened. No prior information, and the latter is due tomorrow.

To make things worse the 102 section of the EPG from 6am says Channel No Longer Available for the rest of time. If a person navigates via the Guide all the the time they will believe there is something wrong before even try to watch. If they do watch they get the SD version of national feed, so there really should be schedule information.

I can understand VM thinking it is easier to let this go for a day and do the BBC2 HD switch at the same time as the others tomorrow. But is it worth annoying/panicing customers and increasing calls to the call centre when they just needed to get a person to put a day or so's worth of data into the schedule for 102 in Scotland. That should have been the bare minimum.

I don't understand why VM could do such a great job with information screens on various switches over the last 6-9 months, and particularly the last BBC HD switches, and not do it in similar circumstances this time.

And if you were curious why I said the BBC had some blame on other platforms on the BBC2 Scotland matter, they should have had on-screen messages on Freeview about upcoming retuning but they haven't had anything I've seen.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 18-02-2019 at 11:21.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2019, 11:21   #2
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: BBC changes implementation

I've seen tiles on the V6 about the BBC channel moves every day since they were announced along with a full page about the changes. The VM website also has an item about it. For such a minor change it seems more than reasonable.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 11:43   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
I've seen tiles on the V6 about the BBC channel moves every day since they were announced along with a full page about the changes. The VM website also has an item about it. For such a minor change it seems more than reasonable.
Well the algorithm must be broken here as the tiles are all about Bohemian Rhapsody or The Get Down, often all 4 at once. There's nothing about changes.
Old 18-02-2019, 12:45   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
To make things worse the 102 section of the EPG from 6am says Channel No Longer Available for the rest of time.
This is a fault and should be fixed in the next few hours.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 12:50   #5
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Thanks spiderplant.
Old 18-02-2019, 19:27   #6
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
This is a fault and should be fixed in the next few hours.
The EPG is now showing programme data for 102 here.

-----

Still no on-screen info for HD switches though.
Old 19-02-2019, 12:13   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

All the BBC HD channels swaps have happened here, including BBC2 HD (after yesterday's 1 day SD national feed filler).

The EPG shows details of the change, as do the information slides on the vacated channels. However there are still no info bar tiles on the topic here. I appreciate other VM customers are seeing them, there is clearly a fault in my area.

----------Update

Spooky. Or is it?

On-demand stopped working, error message etc, and therefore the info bar tiles didn't work. 5 minutes later, the connections resolved themselves and Bingo! the tiles return with the information on the BBC HD moves.

I put this down to a Cable Forum dwelling VM staff member. Thank you.
Old 22-04-2019, 18:15   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Looks like BBC Scotland is a bit of a disappointment. I must admit, I haven't recorded anything from that channel yet. It looks like a rather boring channel, all in all.

https://www.thenatio1anal.scot/news/...ewing-figures/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 10:55   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

We watch a lot of things off BBC Scotland.

Series about Central Station, Still Game, Scot Squad, River City. Some other documentaries as well.

Your link didn't work.
https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...ewing-figures/
Old 23-04-2019, 12:28   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Not sure why this thread is being used for BBC Scotland content, I only started it to talk about HD swaps and the how they were (or weren't) informing people about them.

As for BBC Scotland, I can say I've watched the grand total of 1 episode of 1 show. And that was Beechgrove, because I was under the impression it would only be on the new BBC Scotland channel from now on...which turns out to be wrong, it was was repeated on BBC2 to a national audience at lunchtime on Sunday.

Relatives of mine have enjoyed Central Station. I've seen one episode of Still Game and it confirmed it wasn't for me whilst it was premiered on BBC1, I can see its appeal but it's not for me. A problem for the new channel is that it was the last ever series. I suspect most River City viewers will still watch it on BBC1 Scotland the next day.

The main problem the channel has is it isn't showing much that isn't on BBC1 Scotland, and they've said many shows won't be exclusive, and the public is stubborn, just look at how often UK-wide shows get "promoted" from BBC2 to BBC1 and get a jump in viewers despite everyone having access to BBC2 and having zero excuse for not watching before.
Old 23-04-2019, 13:56   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Series about Central Station, Still Game, Scot Squad, River City. Some other documentaries as well.

Your link didn't work.
Thank you for fixing the link!

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Quote:
Not sure why this thread is being used for BBC Scotland content, I only started it to talk about HD swaps and the how they were (or weren't) informing people about them.

As for BBC Scotland, I can say I've watched the grand total of 1 episode of 1 show. And that was Beechgrove, because I was under the impression it would only be on the new BBC Scotland channel from now on...which turns out to be wrong, it was was repeated on BBC2 to a national audience at lunchtime on Sunday.

Relatives of mine have enjoyed Central Station. I've seen one episode of Still Game and it confirmed it wasn't for me whilst it was premiered on BBC1, I can see its appeal but it's not for me. A problem for the new channel is that it was the last ever series. I suspect most River City viewers will still watch it on BBC1 Scotland the next day.

The main problem the channel has is it isn't showing much that isn't on BBC1 Scotland, and they've said many shows won't be exclusive, and the public is stubborn, just look at how often UK-wide shows get "promoted" from BBC2 to BBC1 and get a jump in viewers despite everyone having access to BBC2 and having zero excuse for not watching before.
Your first post did contain reference to BBC Scotland and it was the closest thread I could find, rather than start a new one.

I think BBC Scotland is a disappointment. If they don't put some more popular programmes on there, the viewing figures will continue to be very low.

It doesn't help that the listings magazines don't print the schedules for the channel, so people will miss any programmes that they might otherwise have seen.
Old 23-04-2019, 14:10   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Thank you for fixing the link!

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Your first post did contain reference to BBC Scotland and it was the closest thread I could find, rather than start a new one.

I think BBC Scotland is a disappointment. If they don't put some more popular programmes on there, the viewing figures will continue to be very low.

It doesn't help that the listings magazines don't print the schedules for the channel, so people will miss any programmes that they might otherwise have seen.
I thought that may have been the reason.

The local newspapers around here have BBC Scotland in their listings.
Old 23-04-2019, 14:17   #13
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I thought that may have been the reason.

The local newspapers around here have BBC Scotland in their listings.
Although we get the channel on VM, none of our listings magazines seem to have it!
Old 23-04-2019, 23:52   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post

Your link didn't work.
Still Game, Scot Squad and River City are all the big ticket items they produce for their regional variations on BBC One. All they’re doing is giving them first run on BBC Scotland to try to help get the channel a following. Most of the rest of it is what they would have made for BBC2 Scotland - a channel they had to close permanently in order to make room for this new, fairly blatant sop to nationalists.

In fact not only do we not get any regional variation in BBC2 in Scotland any more, for most of the time BBC Scotland is broadcasting it is just a simulcast of the national BBC2 feed. It is actually quite hard to see what genuinely new material is coming out of Pacific Quay apart from an hour-long news magazine that tells stories “from a Scottish perspective”, whatever the hell that’s supposed to mean. Whatever it means, based on these figures even the Nats aren’t watching it.

---------- Post added at 22:52 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Oh, and may your armpits be plagued with fleas, whoever it was forced me to click on a link to The National, Scotland’s joke newspaper for people whose heads actually do button up the back.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2019, 07:27   #15
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

There have been a few documentaries,although not watch them all. A Scottish Wrestling one. One about Indian Weddings. They are exactly high brow. Seem mostly for the YouTube lot.