Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bulb energy supplier questions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Bulb energy supplier questions

Old 21-04-2019, 11:10   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Bulb energy supplier questions

Thinking of changing my Gas and Electricity supplier to Bulb so have a few questions that you guys may be able to answer, thanks for any help.

1. I believe i don't have to contact my current supplier (eon)?

2. If eon owe me when switching will they automatically pay me back?

3. If i owe eon when switching what happens then?

4. Has anyone that previously switched to Bulb made a good £ saving compared to their previous supplier?

5. How long does it normally take switching?

6. Will i have to have a smart meter?
Old 21-04-2019, 13:27   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Bulb energy supplier questions

I changed from Eon to Octopus a couple of years ago, so can't comment specifically on Bulb, who were actually my other choice. Can't remember why I went with Octopus, but they have similarly good reputations.
I didn't have to contact Eon, I did have to provide octopus with a final reading. Eon will send you a final bill or reimburse depending on your balance. Can't remember the time scale exactly, don't think it took more than a few weeks.
Smart meter should be optional, it is with Octopus currently. Don't think I'd sign up with someone who enforced one.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 17:09   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Not all companies automatically give any credit back:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...-bill-refunds/
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 20:38   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Useless posts removed, Grow up.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
4. Has anyone that previously switched to Bulb made a good £ saving compared to their previous supplier?
Yes.

They then increased their prices 3 times in 6 months, so I dumped them.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 21:22   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Thinking of changing my Gas and Electricity supplier to Bulb so have a few questions that you guys may be able to answer, thanks for any help.

1. I believe i don't have to contact my current supplier (eon)?

2. If eon owe me when switching will they automatically pay me back?

3. If i owe eon when switching what happens then?

5. How long does it normally take switching?

6. Will i have to have a smart meter?
1. No you don't need to.

2. Yes they should do.

3. They may object and stop the switch if you owe them a lot.

4. Probably, only reason for switching.

5. 17 days

6. Depends on their t&c. AFAIK no one can force you to have a smart meter.

Last edited by Mr K; 21-04-2019 at 21:29.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 21:51   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Not all companies automatically give any credit back:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ut...-bill-refunds/
All companies now automatically give any credit back and have done since 2014.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 23:19   #7
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I made the move about 6 months ago and they keep bringing my costs down. I can refer you and you can get £50 credit onto your account and I get £50 also.
Old 22-04-2019, 00:22   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My parents and sister are with them so I will use them for the referal, thanks for all the info.
Old 22-04-2019, 11:00   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
All companies now automatically give any credit back and have done since 2014.
The article quoted is from 2017 and says that this is still happening. I would advise people to check just in case, it can't do any harm.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 11:23   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I’m with Bulb, leccy only as we have no gas. Happy so far. They’ve reduced prices once in the year or so I’ve been with them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 16:23   #11
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Transferred to Bulb as soon as I moved in to the new house nearly 7 months ago, as I was not staying with EON. No price increases or asked to pay more, £64 per month for Gas and Electric use for two people in the house. Plus they use 100% renewable electricity from solar, wind and hydro.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 21:19   #12
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The article quoted is from 2017 and says that this is still happening. I would advise people to check just in case, it can't do any harm.
I'm sorry Ricard but the article deos not say they still do it.

Quote:
...some providers operated a "don't ask, don't get" policy.

...there's still £97 million left unclaimed from closed accounts since 2014.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 20:17   #13
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I'm not so sure Bulb are a small supplier given the amount of advertising they are doing. The usual plan for these companies is to offer a low tariff to attract customers then hike prices. If you're prepared to switch each year (which I am ) you can make significant savings, but they rely on apathy.
Old 26-04-2019, 22:14   #14
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I'm sorry Ricard but the article does not say they still do it.
Last time I swapped suppliers, I had to request for the money back - and that was last year - I gave them 3 months to do it, before I requested it.

Incidentally - I make use of these guys : https://flipper.community/ they automatically flip you to the cheapest provider. They do charge you £25 a year - but only if the amount they say you is more than that.

If anyone wants a referral link, let me know.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 22:25   #15
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Last time I swapped suppliers, I had to request for the money back - and that was last year - I gave them 3 months to do it, before I requested it.

Incidentally - I make use of these guys : https://flipper.community/ they automatically flip you to the cheapest provider. They do charge you £25 a year - but only if the amount they say you is more than that.

If anyone wants a referral link, let me know.
Why do that, when you can do it yourself for nothing? . They are also only likely to select from providers that pay them commission, not all do.