Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2008, 15:23   #7351
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbuoy View Post
BT developed the line "Its good to talk " soon after privatisation. I think that this is about to become "Its good to spy"
Delbuoy

I like that idea
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2008, 15:28   #7352
serial
Inactive

serial is on a distinguished roadserial is on a distinguished road

I also received a response from my MEP with answers from the EC to questions he posed. The answer is similar to Tharricks and Ravenhearts, but slightly extended.

It's viewable here:

http://badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugins/f....php?4633.last
Old 28-05-2008, 15:40   #7353
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbuoy View Post
BT developed the line "Its good to talk " soon after privatisation. I think that this is about to become "Its good to spy"

It's good to squawk-about your customer's lives!
Old 28-05-2008, 15:44   #7354
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

"It's good to stalk" ?
Old 28-05-2008, 15:52   #7355
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Good Idea, but don't pick the highest profile thread pick one that's fairly active but slightly under the radar!

It may then last considerably longer before being pulled!
That tactic does work. If there is no mention of the 2 key words and if you use the link facility to put the relevant hyper links onto innocent phrases like "here" or "information", and if you use an innocent title, then posts can survive and get read.

But the avatar idea is a non-runner I'm afraid unless it was quite innocuous. Signatures are not a problem.
Name changes are also not a problem although I'm not trying that myself at the moment - I'm tempted to change my posting ID to Phorm or Webwise.

There is also no private messaging facility on BT Beta which makes communicating beneath the radar difficult.

BT simply do not want their customers to know about this. The average BT customer is not going to hear about Phorm/Webwise because BT are determined to keep it from them. There needs to be exposure on the red top press, and the peak hour consumer programs - with respect - the geek oriented stuff like Gadget and Click isn't enough.

BT is a mass-market ISP, and until they see something about Phorm/Webwise on the mainstream their 3 million customers will not care mainly because they don't know, and even if they do know, they won't understand.

I'm normally against things like viral marketing email campaigns (I don't mean real virus you understand) but I'm tempted in this situation. We've all got address books with contacts' btinternet, talktalk and VM addresses in them - could we do some viral email anti-phorm marketing? (doing it responsibly using Bcc field to safeguard privacy of data).

The email would need to have a short snappy title - a short explanatory teaser paragraph, a series of key page links like inphormation.org (I suggest it DOESN'T send people to forums - forums scare your average user! I know how hard it is to promote forum use to "ordinary" people!) - and a short list (like Kursks list but shorter and made simpler) of things that people can do really easily with minimum effort, all involving a short email to send to someon and an encouragement for them to send a similar mail to anyone they have in their address book with a BT/VM/TalkTalk address (using Bcc for round robins)

BT Retail email addresses are either ATbtinternet.com or ATbtopenworld.com

What are the ones for TalkTalk and VM?

Remember - here you can say and do what you like subject to a few "not being rude" rules. The mission over at BT is more to try and "catch" uninphormed customers and get their attention. And that ain't easy!

If all the BT customers using C/F (but with access to BT Beta forums) would like to PM me, I'd be interested in discussing strategy.
Old 28-05-2008, 16:32   #7356
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

What would be good is if someone could do a video parody of the Anti Piracy ad you get on DVDs and throw it on YouTube, it would go viral.

"Your anti virus can't stop it."
"Your anti spyware can't stop it."
"Your anti adware can't stop it."
"Your firewall can't stop it."
"Virgin, BT and Talk Talk are planning to copy every web page you visit for the purpose of building a profile of your habits; they call this Webwise and it is illegal."
"Join the campaign now on (insert website here)"

"Webwise...it's a crime!"

Then instead of credits, have quotes from famous people like Mr Web Berners Lee, Richard Clayton, Nicholas Bohm etc. and a few nasty quotes from Phorm (like the "We see the whole internet" one and the "Two dead in Iraq" one).

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Actually, without wanting to blow my trumpet I think the above is an extremely good idea.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Also something like this might be another useful parody:

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 16:33   #7357
NTLVictim
Inactive

NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
What would be good is if someone could do a video parody of the Anti Piracy ad you get on DVDs and throw it on YouTube, it would go viral.

"Your anti virus can't stop it."
"Your anti spyware can't stop it."
"Your anti adware can't stop it."
"Your firewall can't stop it."
"Virgin, BT and Talk Talk are planning to copy every web page you visit for the purpose of building a profile of your habits; they call this Webwise and it is illegal."
"Join the campaign now on (insert website here)"

"Webwise...it's a crime!"

Then instead of credits, have quotes from famous people like Mr Web Berners Lee, Richard Clayton, Nicholas Bohm etc. and a few nasty quotes from Phorm (like the "We see the whole internet" one and the "Two dead in Iraq" one).

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Actually, without wanting to blow my trumpet I think the above is an extremely good idea.

we need both..the workplace noticeboard and youtube, plus anything and everything else.

Nearly forgot, feel free to amend that pdf notice I did in whatever way anyone likes, (with their own website, etc.) but keep it snappy and simple otherwise joe publics eyes glaze.
Old 28-05-2008, 16:48   #7358
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Google is showing 1,160.00 - trades today of 12,400.00
Old 28-05-2008, 16:55   #7359
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

k did a quick mashup of the "You Can Click" parody and replaced the huge image in my above post.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 17:21   #7360
NTLVictim
Inactive

shares.. 1,162.500 [img]Download Failed (1)[/img] -50.00 -4.12%
Old 28-05-2008, 17:36   #7361
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
k did a quick mashup of the "You Can Click" parody and replaced the huge image in my above post.

Alexander Hanff
Something I must mention is, it is not totally true that a Firewall cannot affect this system. If the correct IP addresses or ranges are added to the firewall rules, it can badly affect the profiler forcing a temporary blacklisting of the current IP.

This however may or may not result in the DPI inspection taking place as there are still not clear details from either BT or Phorm!
Old 28-05-2008, 17:40   #7362
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
Something I must mention is, it is not totally true that a Firewall cannot affect this system. If the correct IP addresses or ranges are added to the firewall rules, it can badly affect the profiler forcing a temporary blacklisting of the current IP.

This however may or may not result in the DPI inspection taking place as there are still not clear details from either BT or Phorm!
Using your firewall to block webwise addresses is the last thing you want to do. It will make it impossible to browse the web on port 80 as the machine needs a valid webwise IP for the network to route it onto the internet.

BT have confirmed this explicitly.

Alexander Hanff
Old 28-05-2008, 17:40   #7363
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
Google is showing 1,160.00 - trades today of 12,400.00

I don't think I've seen a whole day like this with Phorm shares kissing the gaps between the financial floorboards quite like today. (unless the cockroaches come out to buy just before close). It's really quite heartening.
Old 28-05-2008, 17:42   #7364
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

It wasn't so long ago I noted this thread had reached the 1/3 million hits mark. Now the hits are 403K+ how long before we reach half a million hits?

Old 28-05-2008, 17:46   #7365
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Close at 1100

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=LON:PHRM

1 & 3 month graphs look good.

EDIT : Aw! It's just popped up to 1150.
Closed Thread