Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 25-09-2019, 18:49   #1921
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

JJ20X on ForumBox has found the information screens for the channel number changes. https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...ork/?pageNo=12

Though they've clearly made a mistake, as there's a Good Food logo instead of a Food Network one, and Animal Planet HD is mentioned twice on two different numbers, so I've corrected channel name below, and I assumed the lower Animal Planet HD was the correct one.

Food Network 278
Home 279
Home & Health 280
Discovery Shed 281
Travel Channel 282
Home +1 283
Home & Health +1 284

Discovery HD 250
Animal Planet HD 251
Discovery Science 252
Discovery Turbo 256
Discovery History 257
Discovery +1 258
Animal Planet +1 259
Discovery History +1 261

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Sorry I kept having to edit that, I kept seeing typos.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 25-09-2019 at 18:48.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2019, 21:51   #1922
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
JJ20X on ForumBox has found the information screens for the channel number changes. https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...ork/?pageNo=12

Though they've clearly made a mistake, as there's a Good Food logo instead of a Food Network one, and Animal Planet HD is mentioned twice on two different numbers, so I've corrected channel name below, and I assumed the lower Animal Planet HD was the correct one.

Food Network 278
Home 279
Home & Health 280
Discovery Shed 281
Travel Channel 282
Home +1 283
Home & Health +1 284

Discovery HD 250
Animal Planet HD 251
Discovery Science 252
Discovery Turbo 256
Discovery History 257
Discovery +1 258
Animal Planet +1 259
Discovery History +1 261
Discovery Science +1 is not listed. Maybe Virgin will use Channel 260 for it.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 22:24   #1923
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

One little side show that's not been mentioned, is the slight devaluation in Full-House/XL with HD channels being dropped down to lower packages.

But I guess the new TV strategy is for genre-based bundles containing all the channels, than the "bit of everything" as in the past.

There are times it's good to have the choice of an SD channel (being away from home for weeks at a time etc), but on the whole this is an extremely welcome move.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 23:42   #1924
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Discovery Science +1 is not listed. Maybe Virgin will use Channel 260 for it.
MB, it's already on 260. I only listed changes.
Old 25-09-2019, 23:52   #1925
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
MB, it's already on 260. I only listed changes.
We just seen that on TiVo.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

We see that new look has left room for more Discovery Channels to launch so maybe Discovery Turbo +1 and Food Network +1 will appear at an later date with Quest Red +1.
Old 26-09-2019, 03:04   #1926
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

LIVE UPDATES:

1.50AM: It started TLC SD, Quest SD, Discovery Channel SD and Eurosport 1 SD has been removed from EPG.

2.07AM: This time - TLC HD, Quest HD, Discovery Channel HD, Animal Planet HD has all moved to their new homes plus Eurosport 2 SD has been removed from EPG.

2.20AM: Media Boy HQ feels that it for tonight all of the rest of rumoured Discovery channels being moved will happen next Tuesday (October 1st).

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 ----------

More Discovery Channels set to move on Tuesday (October 1st)

-Quest Red moves to Channel 170.
-Discovery History moves to Channel 257.
-Discovery History +1 moves to Channel 261.

---------- Post added at 03:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 ----------

Media Boy HQ thinks the following may happen as well on Tuesday:

Virgin Media UK may move ID from Virgin UK Channel 170 to Virgin UK Channel 168.
-Virgin Media UK may move Quest HD from Virgin UK Channel 172 to Virgin UK Channel 169.
-Virgin Media UK may move DMAX from Virgin UK Channel 213 to Virgin UK Channel 171.

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 26-09-2019 at 02:38.
Old 26-09-2019, 06:25   #1927
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Eurosport 1 now on 523
Eurosport 2 now on 524

Channel IDs error

Surely that should read 521 and 522
Old 26-09-2019, 09:17   #1928
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

​I just looked, and all the HD moves have been made on the EPG successfully. It makes sense they didn't do all the other moves as they would be confusing doing all at once, plus some would have been former HD postions where they need to put a channel move slate.

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 ----------

The logic of the moves seems to be, once finished, that in each of the categories, Entertainment, Factual, Lifestyle the order is HD channels top, then the channels in that category ordered by their main channels ratings, then repeat that order for any +1s available.

I compared the order with the August TV ratings (on BARB website) and it's pretty much going to reflect them within each category.

The channel moves have obviously been within the channel numbers that the broadcaster is already allocated, presumably so they don't offend the other broadcasters.

---------- Post added at 09:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

I looked closer and all the HD channels that swapped are running on both their new numbers and their old numbers.

I'd bet that's because they were alerted to the errors on the channel information slates that were spotted last night, but it was too late to fix them in time.

Only the Eurosport changes have went completely successfully, probably partially because the HD versions were in the better EPG positions already.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 26-09-2019 at 09:22.
Old 26-09-2019, 09:46   #1929
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

The Sky & NBC channel number info slates have appeared listing the changes from October 1st

Others have been previously mentioned by Media Boy and others on this thread.

Sky News & Sky News HD will swap from 602-603 and vice versa

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

I also wonder if we will maybe finally see
Sky Sports Racing HD
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:55   #1930
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

The other obvious missing Sky/Comcast one is CNBC HD. If that happens it's likely to be a straight swap out. News/business channels tend to close their SD versions e.g. Bloomberg, NHK, France24 (both French & English versions).
Old 26-09-2019, 10:41   #1931
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Outwith the Sky & NBC channel number info slates appearing.

More channels from Discovery has been confirmed by slates as also moving on Tuesday:

ID moves to Channel 168.
Quest HD moves to Channel 169.
Quest Red moves to Channel 170.
DMAX moves to Channel 171.
Animal Planet HD moves to Channel 251.
Discovery Science moves to Channel 252.
Discovery Turbo moves to Channel 256.
Discovery History moves to Channel 257.
Discovery History +1 moves to Channel 261.
Food Network moves to Channel 278.
Home moves to Channel 279.
Discovery Home & Health moves to Channel 280.
Discovery Shed moves to Channel 281.
Travel Channel moves to Channel 282.
Old 26-09-2019, 11:44   #1932
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

MB, I've not seen the info slates for Sky/Comcast changes, are they on DBR? Or has someone posted them on another forum?
Old 26-09-2019, 12:49   #1933
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

No info slates yet, but the changes are in next week's tv mags as already mentioned here and elsewhere.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:37   #1934
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
No info slates yet, but the changes are in next week's tv mags as already mentioned here and elsewhere.
I'd already seen the posts regarding the info obtained by TV Listings magazines, I was wondering if someone had found the information slates and posted elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 13:37 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
MB, I've not seen the info slates for Sky/Comcast changes, are they on DBR? Or has someone posted them on another forum?
I've found what I think is that answer. It's the differing usage of certain terminology.

The term in this case beign "information slate".

To me an "information slate", in digital cable TV context, is a full screen static image that replaces the broadcast channel.

However others are using it for the on-screen information that you press Clear to remove.

I would call those latter things pop-up overlays.

I came to the conclusion of the differing usage as I went to 602 and saw a pop-up overlay telling me Sky News (SD) would be moving to 603, and concluded this was what others were seeing but calling a different name.
Old 26-09-2019, 13:54   #1935
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

All these changes,I can hardly contain myself