Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Old 12-09-2019, 19:42   #6181
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Toblerone in duty free at 3 times the price you can buy it elsewhere. What the heck is that about, and why are airports obsessed with the stuff !?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2019, 21:00   #6182
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You also have to remember that fridges and freezers are the most reliable domestic appliances compared to the rest.
Mine only lasted 2.5 years lol.
Old 13-09-2019, 10:14   #6183
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Our chest freezer lasted 35 years, compressor was still running but lacked freeze. I guess the refrigerant had leaked or a valve had failed.

The larder fridge is still going, about the same age but recently the thermostat failed so I replaced it with a small digital temperature controller. A replacement thermostat was silly money and I had several of these controllers on the shelf from a previous contract.

P6100

My mother had a Frigidair fridge that was about 40 years old when it failed. Turned out to be a dirty contact in the starter. I cleaned that up and then it ran for many more years until the plastic interior started to break up.
Old 19-09-2019, 11:04   #6184
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

No internet this morning. Checked the SH1 and it was dead. Turned out the PSU has gone. Running at the moment using a universal PSU that I had on the shelf set for 12v and centre pin positive. It's only 1.2 amps whereas the correct one is 1.5. Hoping it holds out. Doesn't seem to be getting too hot.

I'll have a look at the unit but I guess it'll be a call to CS.
Old 19-09-2019, 11:12   #6185
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
No internet this morning. Checked the SH1 and it was dead. Turned out the PSU has gone. Running at the moment using a universal PSU that I had on the shelf set for 12v and centre pin positive. It's only 1.2 amps whereas the correct one is 1.5. Hoping it holds out. Doesn't seem to be getting too hot.

I'll have a look at the unit but I guess it'll be a call to CS.
Not what you really wanted given you have a business.
Old 19-09-2019, 11:51   #6186
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Just opened up the unit and it's blown big time: 3 amp fuse open, thermistor blown to bits, transistor split open and a piece of track blown off the PCB. Those are the visibly damaged components. Probably many more destroyed. This sort of thing is usually very final.

I wouldn't even attempt a repair.

I really hate having to phone people.

On the bright side my temporary PSU seems to be holding up OK and not getting too warm.
Old 19-09-2019, 17:16   #6187
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I have had an email from my Bank!

It says

Earlier this year, we changed the email address we use to send emails to you. Make sure all our emails reach you by adding our email address to your Contacts/Address book.

We'll then be recognised as a 'safe sender' and none of our emails will go into spam.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:52   #6188
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Yesterday had 2 hearing aids fitted for the first time....

Finding it difficult getting used to them, my voice sounds different, things like unfolding a piece or paper or a crisp packet sounds really loud, The sounds feel like they come from a different place, i prefer those sounds without them in.

Any hearing aid users offer any advice as i know i just have to get used to them?
Old 27-09-2019, 10:55   #6189
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Not a hearing aid user but are there any sound controls with your hearing aid?.
Old 27-09-2019, 11:01   #6190
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not a hearing aid user but are there any sound controls with your hearing aid?.
Just the volume, from my experience yesterday when they got set up, a person that has never used a hearing aid can't really relate as it is not the same as using ear buds atleast not with these NHS hearing aids and i can't afford to go private and spend £5000 on the hope the sound would be better.
Old 27-09-2019, 11:12   #6191
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Just the volume, from my experience yesterday when they got set up, a person that has never used a hearing aid can't really relate as it is not the same as using ear buds atleast not with these NHS hearing aids and i can't afford to go private and spend £5000 on the hope the sound would be better.
You obviously have used the volume controls which obviouslly does not improve things for you as your only other option is to go back and tell them of your problems.
Old 27-09-2019, 11:19   #6192
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You obviously have used the volume controls which obviouslly does not improve things for you as your only other option is to go back and tell them of your problems.
It is just a case of retraining my brain to get used to the new sounds this can take months and i have had them less than 24hrs, i don't think there is anything wrong with them, just need to use them.

Hearing aids improve hearing but they probably won't make it perfect again, it is difficult for them to replace the sounds that people are missing in their speech without affecting other sounds.

Atleast they're not making my tinnitus louder.

I wish i could just order a new set of ears on Amazon! haha
Old 27-09-2019, 11:23   #6193
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I wear aids in both ears. But mainly I tend to wear just the one. That way I get a much more Spatial awareness that is much missing when you wear the 2.

If you've had a proper hearing test then they should be set up to the correctly, and they will take a bit of getting used to. They will end up sounding as naturally as hearing without them. Usually only takes a short time. Start off with a click or 2 lower on the volume if you're finding it hard to adjust, then increase it to the default setting over time.

Hearing aids when fitted correctly should feel like you're not wearing them at all but again could take a bit of time.
Old 27-09-2019, 11:28   #6194
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It is just a case of retraining my brain to get used to the new sounds this can take months and i have had them less than 24hrs, i don't think there is anything wrong with them, just need to use them.
Yes l certainly know what you mean there in retraining ones brain as l have had to do that quite a few times because of my medical devices during these last 20 years.

---------- Post added at 10:26 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Quote:
Hearing aids improve hearing but they probably won't make it perfect again, it is difficult for them to replace the sounds that people are missing in their speech without affecting other sounds.
As you say if one wants a perfect device one has to pay for it.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Quote:
Atleast they're not making my tinnitus louder.
Well at least that is one little bonus.

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Quote:
I wish i could just order a new set of ears on Amazon! haha
Yes there is always that thought.
Old 27-09-2019, 11:32   #6195
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Hearing aids can only improve on the frequencies that you can hear. I can not hear alarms such as smoke alarms, alarm clocks or anything at a high'ish pitch, I have a vibrating pad under the sofa and bed to alert me if the smoke alarm goes off. This also affects speech as I can't hear certain frequencies when people talk. Doesn't matter how loud people talk, even at the IMAX cinema that is loud enough to make ears bleed I still can't understand what people are saying.