Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 18-07-2005, 01:02   #91
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. Didn't think I'd like his books but I've not put it down!!!!
Just a request (and not just directed at you, Shaun ) but rather than simply putting a title and "read it" or "I've not put it down" a bit about the book (genre, style, good characters/ plot/ writing?) would be nice.

Thanks
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2005, 10:27   #92
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, currently reading "One Shot" by Lee Child.

It's a whodunnit/thriller about an ex US military sniper who goes into a small US city and kills 5 random people in cold blood.

Characters: All of the Lee Child novels I have read have been about the adventures of an ex us military policeman called "Jack Reacher". This book is no exception, so obviously, the Reacher character is well defined. However, the author has the ability to create a believable (IMO) character in a few words, and he does this in this book.

Plot & Writing: Obviously, I can't give away too much here. Partly because I haven't been reading it long, so don't know a lot. Partly because I don't want to put people off. There are quite a few twists in the plot, but it is well written and quite easy to follow. Lee Child also has the honour (in an earlier book: The Visitor) of being the only whodunnit auther to have totally led me to the wrong conclusion about a character. I won't say too much about that book, apart from the fact that the murderer is in the book, pretty much from the start, and has motive (again pretty much from the start) yet it is not obvious who it is.

If you want to find out more about the Reacher character (why he is like he is), I would also recommend you read another book by Lee Child called "The Enemy".

As a side note, I did read somewhere that, although he is now based in the US, Lee Child is English and actually started out as a scriptwriter for "London's Burning". Can't verify this though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 20:44   #93
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Blenheim by Charles "Guess who I've got buried at the bottom of the garden" Spencer. The battle, not the house. Actually, he hasn't made too bad a job of it; quite an interesting style. Obviously, him not being a professional historian, there's probably nothing particularly new in it, so he's tried to inject a bit of originality by quoting from the diaries of various of the participants.

And if I may put a plug in for the one I read before this. Dark Star by Alan Furst. Too be honest, I got it out of the library on spec; I'd never heard of the author before, but he is first rate.

It is a spy novel, but that is like saying that Romeo and Juliet is a Mills & Boon romance. It concerns AndrÃÃâ€*’© Szara, a Pravda journalist between the wars who becomes entangled in Soviet intelligence infighting and ends up as part of a Russian spy ring. It has enough plot twists to satisfy the most discerning of readers of spy novels and a protagonist who totally engages your sympathies. Oh, and you get a load of information on how Russian spy rings operated thrown in free of charge.

Highly recommended.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 20:56   #94
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
And if I may put a plug in for the one I read before this. Dark Star by Alan Furst [...]

It is a spy novel
I was thinking "Dark Star - Bombed Out in Space with a Spaced Out Bomb" novelised by Alan Dean Foster and then going "Uhhh... what's that got to do with spies...???"
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:02   #95
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

The Demon in the Freezer: The Terrifying Truth About the Threat from Bioterrorism - Richard Preston

Basically it talks about Anthrax (the events after the scares in America) - and smallpox - and how sooner or later, someone, somewhere is going to use smallpox as a biological weapon, and depending on what they've done with it, it may or may not just tear through the vaccine.

I don't think he's got a great style of writing, but it's an interesting read..
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:11   #96
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
The Demon in the Freezer: The Terrifying Truth About the Threat from Bioterrorism - Richard Preston

Basically it talks about Anthrax (the events after the scares in America) - and smallpox - and how sooner or later, someone, somewhere is going to use smallpox as a biological weapon, and depending on what they've done with it, it may or may not just tear through the vaccine.

I don't think he's got a great style of writing, but it's an interesting read..

I've got a couple of Richard Preston books I'd recommend

1) "The Hot Zone" - true story of an Ebola outbreak in a monkeyhouse in the US. Very good, & scary as it's true.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...589911-8934238

2) "The Cobra Event" - fictional story about a bioterror incident in the US. Excellent read.

And, in a similar vein to "Demon in the Freezer":

"Biohazard", by Ken Alibek.

"Germs, the Ultimate Weapon", by Judith Miller et al.

"Plague Wars - A True Story of Biological Warfare", by Tom Mangold & Jeff Goldberg.

All very interesting.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:34   #97
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

*shuffles away from Matt slowly*

punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:38   #98
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky

What? You've got the snuffles?

OMG
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:43   #99
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky

I'm a molecular biologist, & I find this stuff interesting...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:45   #100
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D

I'm a molecular biologist, & I find this stuff interesting...
Whereas, I'm just a lone nutcase
Old 18-07-2005, 21:49   #101
me283
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze

"The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. Bit of a hard book to categorise, as it encompasses Mediaeval history, origins of Freemasonry, Knights Templar, Crusades, and other stuff much more modern; however it all starts with the mysteries and myths surrounding the village of Rennes-le-Chateau in France.

It's a heavy read, and some of the threads are difficult to keep track of. However it's been interesting, and I would recommend it if you fancy something that tests the brain cells. It's also got a certain significance to me personally as the village is in a part of France that I love.
me283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:52   #102
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by me283
"The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail" by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. Bit of a hard book to categorise, as it encompasses Mediaeval history, origins of Freemasonry, Knights Templar, Crusades, and other stuff much more modern; however it all starts with the mysteries and myths surrounding the village of Rennes-le-Chateau in France.
In a similar vein to that I recommend :

The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
By Lynn Picknett & Clive Prince

Their 'Stargate Conspiracy' is a good read too...
Old 18-07-2005, 21:54   #103
me283
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze

Quote:
In a similar vein to that I recommend :

Their 'Stargate Conspiracy' is a good read too...
Thanks. I actually picked up "The Hiram Key" and "The Book Of Hiram" at the weekend, but I shall look out for that one too.
me283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:56   #104
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

panasonic lcd projector operating instructions

wow 200" screen
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 21:58   #105
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
I'm fairly sure that Dan Brown read this book before he wrote the 'Da Vinci Code'