Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 09-06-2011, 14:26   #346
Dave9946
Inactive

Dave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the roughDave9946 is a jewel in the rough
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Of cause, if your missing channels or audio etc you can always go here: http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php an get the settings for all the FTA channels and manually correct any details that you might be having problems with any particular channel.
Dave9946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 17:17   #347
MTJR
Inactive

MTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the rough

Before I happened across my solution I had mailed the Ross Technical bods for their input on the subject. They replied thus....

"Since the BBC changed the transmission type for their HD channels to increase the amount of data being sent (the same transmission system as Channel 4 HD uses), they left them on the same transponder as they were on before though.

We observed that throughout the last 3 days the channels have repeatedly gone off and come back on again (currently our lab receiver has stopped showing a signal from the BBC HD transponder although it was working earlier today on a couple of occasions).

We cannot be certain how long the BBC HD transmissions will continue to be unreliable.
"

It seems odd that the channels appeared the moment after I made the change. And even odder that the BBC would be running some sort of ropey signal considering their involvement in the Freesat platform.

A happy fallout of the change is that the signal quality for these two channels now registers at 75% where it was previously 63%.

It would seem that the change to the new format opens up the possibility of maybe a third HD channel (BBC2 HD?).

For those of you who missed the BBC latest mass marketing campaign detailing the changes then you can find it on the very well publicised BBC Internet Blog here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...annels_on.html

Regards
John
MTJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:21   #348
MTJR
Inactive

MTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the roughMTJR is a jewel in the rough

Just for information I mailed Ross Tech Support back to tell them my solution. Having thanked me for the information provided they still persist with this line that the new BBC HD signals are prone to disappear at any particular time they feel like it.

Is anyone with a Ross box experiencing this? More to the point is anyone with any type of Freesat HD box experiencing this?

Regards
John
Old 10-06-2011, 12:30   #349
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Some comments from the BBC about this - there have been various issues but nothing affecting branded Freesat boxes so far as I can see:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcintern...ment_109308107
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 20:11   #350
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

just set up a B&Q FTA SATELLITE DISH,signal 70%,quality only 30%.have no obstructions but cant get quality any higher.am getting all signals ok but lose some when it rains heavily.it cost£25 so i shouldnt complain.whats the best twin lnb to buy?would a new lnb improve the quality?.many thanks.jcb.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Hi kymmy,would you give me a answer to the above query,thanks,jcb
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 20:34   #351
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

If you live anywhere but the top half of scotland then you should get a good picture even in heavy rain. Sounds like you're still slightly off with either your dish or the LNB skew. A good lower noise higher amplification LNB would help but not as much as a simple dish adjustment. Remember that tiny movement can make the difference between a poor signal and a great signal.

As for standard twin LNB's they all tend to be the same specs so shouldn't make much difference until you pay a lot extra for higher specs.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 20:49   #352
AZIMUTH
Inactive

thanks Kymmy,,,will do a bit more adjusting.jcb
Old 16-06-2011, 21:21   #353
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

An analogue sat meter is invaluable especially if it's got an audible signal as it's ever so easy to adjust the dish without having the view the meter. If you use the one on the box just remember that it has a slight delay so it's adjust very slightly and then wait a few seconds before moving again.. Check dishpointer.com to see what skew the LNB should be set to.
Old 16-06-2011, 22:21   #354
MTJR
Inactive

I found when setting up my Ross system that the dish angle or whatever it's called had to be set slightly higher than the setting they gave in the instructions. Dunno if that helps.

John
Old 17-06-2011, 20:19   #355
AZIMUTH
Inactive

thanks for the extra info,Kymmy and John.i found the best signal with the dish almost vertical,,ie,to the horizon.have got interested in this satellite mularky so am going to invest in the analogue sat meter.ive even been and bought another £25 sat from B&Q to set up for a mate,,,lol.
Old 18-06-2011, 10:27   #356
MTJR
Inactive

Someone did point out to me that whilst they give you various angles for the elevation of the dish that would all be assuming you were starting from an absolutely flat level surface.

You'll find the sat meter a great help as it saves a massive amount of time.

Having said that, I found http://www.dishpointer.com a great resource and it works especially well if you have some landmarks you can work with to give you a bit of a headstart in at least pointing in roughly the right direction.

John
Old 18-06-2011, 10:28   #357
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIMUTH View Post
thanks for the extra info,Kymmy and John.i found the best signal with the dish almost vertical,,ie,to the horizon.have got interested in this satellite mularky so am going to invest in the analogue sat meter.ive even been and bought another £25 sat from B&Q to set up for a mate,,,lol.
You've gotta remember that as the LNB is off-set a vertical dish is still pointing upwards by about 20-40 degrees (depends on the dish)
Old 19-06-2011, 19:24   #358
AZIMUTH
Inactive

havent got round to buying a sat finder yet,,,im trying to get the haylage in between showers.ive used a portable tv outside,moved the dish and watched the quality greenline go up.have now got all progs.bbc streams,all locals,,itv,bbc,etc.sky freebys,,and loads of others,,very happy with b&q sat set up,,,and the price.thanks john,,,kymmy.jcb.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

has the 19degree satellite got a few more free sport channels on it,,i know its mostly foreign but i can always mute it.jcb
Old 19-06-2011, 20:02   #359
Kymmy
Inactive

check out lyngsat.com
Old 22-06-2011, 18:07   #360
Data123
Inactive

Data123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I been having problems scanning 19.2e the box Ross DVD-S 5010 keep resetting it self three quarters of the way though the scan, I found if you go in to TP setting & unclick 47 (12168 V) it will then scan, is anyone having this problem? do I have a faulty box?
Data123 is offline   Reply With Quote