Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27   #4366
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
To my untrained eye, that does seem to show how worried Sky are about BT Sports. Considering how tight the bottom of the league is, there may well be more fans interested in the relegation battle this season. It could (but I doubt it will) be a blessing for BT Sports if they get to show the games the majority of the fans are interested in.
I am puzzled, how does it show sky is afraid?

Sky had first choice, they chose first.

If BT had first choice, and chose (logically) the best games, would that show BT are afraid.

I am amazed at the attitude on here towards sky, to make things up, just because you don't like Sky?

Sad
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 08:06   #4367
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally Sky have done some excellent things in the last 20 years but they let themselves down sometimes with their untoward monopolistic behaviour where they try to squash all their competitors and also they have a track record of increasingly with-holding content or charging the earth for it.

Colin they would have many more friends if they did not behave in such a nefarious manner sometimes but then you cannot expect a leopard to change its spots can one.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:21   #4368
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The majority of people will be more interested in the top half of the table than the bottom. The bigger clubs have more followers and that's also where the neutral interest lies. Sky got pack D which meant all along that they had the best rights package and, more importantly, could control not only their own output, but also BT's. This was known early on, but BT did an effective pr job of suggesting otherwise, which is the only reason that this is news now. Nobody should be surprised that Sky Sports is the place to be for the best Premier League live coverage, it's testament to BT's marketing strategy that they are.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33   #4369
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Personally Sky have done some excellent things in the last 20 years but they let themselves down sometimes with their untoward monopolistic behaviour where they try to squash all their competitors and also they have a track record of increasingly with-holding content or charging the earth for it.

Colin they would have many more friends if they did not behave in such a nefarious manner sometimes but then you cannot expect a leopard to change its spots can one.
This has nothing to do with friends. This is about people making things up, with no basis.
Old 02-03-2014, 13:46   #4370
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I think you guys are up far too early on a Sunday morning.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 14:04   #4371
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Colins a very nice man really.
Old 02-03-2014, 14:04   #4372
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Colins a very nice man really.
And Den is too
Old 02-03-2014, 15:58   #4373
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
I am puzzled, how does it show sky is afraid?

Sky had first choice, they chose first.

If BT had first choice, and chose (logically) the best games, would that show BT are afraid.

I am amazed at the attitude on here towards sky, to make things up, just because you don't like Sky?

Sad
My point was simply based on the fact it finally became a newsworthy story. I do not recall Sky ever using their rights to hoard all the important games at the end of the season when Setanta or ESPN (who had considerablly less finances behind them) were involved. I may be wrong, but I can not remember it happening previously.

I do not recall denigrating Sky's use of using their right to show all these games. I am sure BT would do the same - I do not recall stating otherwise. BT got scared about Sky encroaching on their BB customers and reacted.

The trouble Sky have is that the PL rights effectively lets them charge what they want for sports. They, allegedly, generate huge profits from the sports channels and they will miss those alleged profits greatly.

Yup, I had a bad experience with Sky, but that does mean I hate them. As a pure business model, they are to be admired. I had some bad experiences (inbetween many enjoyable ones) whilst working for Iceland for 8 years, does that mean I hate them if I comment on them? I still have bad experiences with VM from to time, does that mean I hate them too?

People coming on here, simply to defend Sky?

Equally sad
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 16:01   #4374
colin25
Inactive

Quote:
My point was simply based on the fact it finally became a newsworthy story. I do not recall Sky ever using their rights to hoard all the important games at the end of the season when Setanta or ESPN (who had considerablly less finances behind them) were involved. I may be wrong, but I can not remember it happening previously.

I do not recall denigrating Sky's use of using their right to show all these games. I am sure BT would do the same - I do not recall stating otherwise. BT got scared about Sky encroaching on their BB customers and reacted.

The trouble Sky have is that the PL rights effectively lets them charge what they want for sports. They, allegedly, generate huge profits from the sports channels and they will miss those alleged profits greatly.

Yup, I had a bad experience with Sky, but that does mean I hate them. As a pure business model, they are to be admired. I had some bad experiences (inbetween many enjoyable ones) whilst working for Iceland for 8 years, does that mean I hate them if I comment on them? I still have bad experiences with VM from to time, does that mean I hate them too?

People coming on here, simply to defend Sky?

Equally sad
lol. You said "it shows sky is afraid", because they chose the best games.

What games should they have chosen? the worst?
Old 02-03-2014, 16:07   #4375
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
lol. You said "it shows sky is afraid", because they chose the best games.

What games should they have chosen? the worst?

This.....
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 16:22   #4376
harry_hitch

harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
To my untrained eye, that does seem to show how worried Sky are about BT Sports. Considering how tight the bottom of the league is, there may well be more fans interested in the relegation battle this season. It could (but I doubt it will) be a blessing for BT Sports if they get to show the games the majority of the fans are interested in.
Colin, you seem to be forgetting my the highlighted text, which is a personal thought and in no way suggesting I am basing my opinion on anything than my untrained eye. Shame you did not feel the need quote my statement this time round. I don't recall saying outright "Sky are afraid". In fact I clearly state Sky seemed (in my untrained eye) to be worried about BT. I never claimed to have a basis in fact story about Sky being "scared" or "afraid".

I merely voiced an opinion, which I thought I prefaced clearly enough as being a personal opinion from someone with an untrained eye. I will make it clearer for you in future.

As for which games they should show, I do not (once again) recall denigrating Sky about them using the rights they have paid for. Please tell me where I have.:rolleyes.

I am happy for you to quote my words on where I have said Sky are "scared" or "afraid" of BT sports and that Sky should not use their acquired rights to show which games they want. All you seem to be doing is paraphrasing my quotes to extend this discussion.

I am happy for you to quote me as I have seen how much you dislike "people making things up, with no basis."

Cheers.
Old 02-03-2014, 23:25   #4377
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

Are you really reducing your argument to semantics over very similar words? If that's the best comeback you have, you have already lost. Let it go.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44   #4378
colin25
Inactive

Sorry for slow reply, but Maverick hits my argument well.

I am not trying to defend sky. I just can not see why Sky is "worried", because they chose the best games. On that basis, any company would be worried, when they make the only correct business decision they can.
Old 03-03-2014, 15:32   #4379
harry_hitch

Quote:
Sorry for slow reply, but Maverick hits my argument well.

I am not trying to defend sky. I just can not see why Sky is "worried", because they chose the best games. On that basis, any company would be worried, when they make the only correct business decision they can.
Maverick Jesus statement was not really an argument or a valid point for me though.

In terms of the words I chose and the "semantics" of my argument, I will try and explain why I used the word "worried" in the context I did. I can only use my work place as an example of the differences between worried, scared and afraid. (I am not writing this to cause debate, merely to explain why I chose the wording I did.)

If my analogy does not work for anyone, I apologize in advance.

On Friday night, I was worried about how difficult a day I would have had at work the weekend (because I knew it be would a tough time period and I could foresee many potential problems being thrown my way.) I was not scared of it or afraid about facing a potentially difficult time period.

How did I overcome the difficult day and potential problems? I threw everything I had at my disposal to try and negate and potential problems. I was not scared of going to work, and I certainly was not going to be afraid of facing a difficult period.

IMHO, Sky (who are worried about customers leaving to join the cheaper option of BT) have used their acquired rights to throw all have to try and stop customers dumping Sky Sports for a cheaper option from BT, and have thus tried to negate any potential problems.

I don't think Sky are currently scared of BT or are afraid to face a difficult period as Sky still hold all the cards.

There are massive differences between the words worried, scared and afraid and the context they are used in.

Back to the point in hand. I believe Sky are worried about the future, especially with the loss of CL football and the potential of losing PL football rights. If you do not think they are worried, that is your opinion.

There have been other posts in which other posters have expressed an opinion about the threat of BT Sports to Sky Sports, but it seems the personal thoughts of my untrained eye have offended you.

If you are willing to agree to disagree, that works for me.

As for other businesses worrying, I know Waitrose and John Lewis (since the market crashed) have been, and continue to be extremely worried about their competition even though they continue to make sound business decisions for the benefit of the company.
Old 05-03-2014, 19:10   #4380
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sky Sports agree new two-year deal with LPGA to show the best women's golf

Quote:
Sky Sports will show the best women's golf for at least another two years, thanks to a new deal with the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA).

The agreement offers Sky Sports viewers exclusively live coverage of three women's Majors played in the United States, plus at least four LPGA Tour events each summer.
http://www1.skysports.com/golf/news/...deal-with-lpga
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote