Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2020, 07:59   #1651
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

I don't know why we didn't just cancel Christmas and do what the Sikhs,Hindus,Muslims and other faiths did this year and just fit their particular religious festivals around lockdown.
Old 18-12-2020, 08:02   #1652
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Are you saying you don't think the vaccine actually works? Its reported success is 52% after dose one and 95% after dose two.
Short term immunity. Nobody knows how long that immunity lasts yet. And remember this study was during social distancing, mask wearing, limited mixing etc. Once things go back to normal who knows?

You can always debate it with yourself when you grow an extra head.
Old 18-12-2020, 08:37   #1653
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I don't know why we didn't just cancel Christmas and do what the Sikhs,Hindus,Muslims and other faiths did this year and just fit their particular religious festivals around lockdown.
Er, no.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 18-12-2020, 08:41   #1654
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Cancel Christmas
Mary cross your legs -do not let that baby out
Old 18-12-2020, 08:44   #1655
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Short term immunity. Nobody knows how long that immunity lasts yet. And remember this study was during social distancing, mask wearing, limited mixing etc. Once things go back to normal who knows?

You can always debate it with yourself when you grow an extra head.

I rarely disagree with Heero, but that last remark is gratuitous and extreme.

The vaccine is a start and the scientists will be measuring the CV incidence as roll-out progresses. In turn, that will define the vaccination strategy going forward until CV is eradicated (and perhaps the next one comes along).

Subject to confirmatory outcomes, it looks like vaccine developmental science has taken a leap forward.

On another matter - repaying our CV loans, I wonder whether the Guvmin are ring-fencing the £25 billion or so we no longer send to the EU annually.

Old 18-12-2020, 09:10   #1656
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Because we're not all miserable barstewards.
Old 18-12-2020, 09:34   #1657
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Short term immunity. Nobody knows how long that immunity lasts yet.
That's news to me, I thought the vaccine just made the symptoms less severe if you caught it?

Happy to be put right, I'm fast losing touch with what's real, imagined, or down right ridiculous
Old 18-12-2020, 10:16   #1658
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[/COLOR]

I rarely disagree with Heero, but that last remark is gratuitous and extreme.

The vaccine is a start and the scientists will be measuring the CV incidence as roll-out progresses. In turn, that will define the vaccination strategy going forward until CV is eradicated (and perhaps the next one comes along).

Subject to confirmatory outcomes, it looks like vaccine developmental science has taken a leap forward.

On another matter - repaying our CV loans, I wonder whether the Guvmin are ring-fencing the £25 billion or so we no longer send to the EU annually.

I know I’m indulging in the flagellation of an equine corpse, but such egregious fabrications need to be highlighted...

The U.K. Government’s own figures

Quote:
In 2019 the UK made an estimated gross contribution (after the rebate) of £14.4 billion. The UK received £5.0 billion of public sector receipts from the EU, so the UK’s net public sector contribution to the EU was an estimated £9.4 billion.
https://fullfact.org/europe/our-eu-m...ee-55-million/

There’s £25 billion outstanding to be paid by 2057, but that’s not annually..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51110096
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 18-12-2020 at 10:23.
Old 18-12-2020, 11:20   #1659
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't know why we didn't just cancel Christmas and do what the Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims and other faiths did this year and just fit their particular religious festivals around lockdown.

My Christmas was cancelled this year on 30th of September at 3:14am when my mother died.

Just my dad and I this year, and I've never cooked a Turkey on my own.
Old 18-12-2020, 11:44   #1660
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

..but that last remark is gratuitous and extreme.

Thanks, I just found it bizarre!
Old 18-12-2020, 12:21   #1661
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Because we're not all miserable barstewards.
Neither were those groups BUT they went with the lockdown rules..Seems in an era of diversity we could have done the same.
Old 18-12-2020, 12:41   #1662
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Neither were those groups BUT they went with the lockdown rules..Seems in an era of diversity we could have done the same.
Why? Is every vestige of long standing British custom & culture to be sacrificed to the woke agenda?

Old 18-12-2020, 13:07   #1663
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Why? Is every vestige of long standing British custom & culture to be sacrificed to the woke agenda?
Diversity to me is not woke it's capitalism. It's people's different perspectives gleaned from different experiences all competing to provide the best solutions. As oppose to the more top-down Communistic one-size-fits-all mantra.
Old 18-12-2020, 13:30   #1664
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Diversity to me is not woke it's capitalism. It's people's different perspectives gleaned from different experiences all competing to provide the best solutions. As oppose to the more top-down Communistic one-size-fits-all mantra.
This is a debate all on its own. In the context of this thread, a don't see diversity as applicable to the question of celebrating Christmas in the (nearly) usual way.

And yes, diversity feeds directly into the woke agenda.

Old 18-12-2020, 13:44   #1665
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Neither were those groups
I wasn’t referring to those groups.