Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 20-10-2020, 18:56   #1321
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
Hallmark have launched a VOD channel on Prime Channels so there’s already a platform out there for that kind of film content.
Thanks for the info. The person in question won't be watching Prime in a squillion years, so they'd need to make it available elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Origin are a broadband provider best to avoid tbh they've recently launched a tv service using netgen.
Thanks. :-)
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2020, 13:09   #1322
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
In Anglia West region, ITV HD(113) local news was for Meridan area(South East), so I don't know how Anglia East and Anglia West are going to come into it.

An article for the Central ITV region, doesn't mention cable or Freeview, only Sky and Freesat. Additionally the article is only from last Wednesday. The Anglia region version is only from last Friday.

IIRC there has been a issue before about switching between SD and HD, and correct flagging of the channels and EPG.

---------- Post added at 01:45 ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 ----------

Channel 113 ITV HD is back.
Virgin sources their ITVHD feeds directly from Arqiva, not from satellite. All these new regions are now being uplinked from Crawley Court for Sky/Freesat, so it’s just a question of whether these are being piped on to the Langley MHE for VM to distribute. There are currently no changes to Freeview services.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:17   #1323
AdamDigital
cf.member

Services: VM V6 x 2. 500MB broadband.
AdamDigital is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Virgin sources their ITVHD feeds directly from Arqiva, not from satellite. All these new regions are now being uplinked from Crawley Court for Sky/Freesat, so it’s just a question of whether these are being piped on to the Langley MHE for VM to distribute. There are currently no changes to Freeview services.
As of yesterday (20 October), channel 113 on VM here in Nottingham was showing ITV Central East News (albeit from Birmingham ) in glorious High Definition (or at least, upscaled SD). Similarly, ITV Yorkshire was showing Calendar for Humberside (from a studio in Leeds ) in HD on channel 870.

I've read in other forums that to change the Freeview transmitters to show the correct subregions on Freeview channel 103 is difficult as the BBC owns the HD multiplex (PSB3) and doesn't want to share with ITV the cost of rearranging the multiplexing set-up to allow full regionalisation.
AdamDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:31   #1324
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamDigital View Post
As of yesterday (20 October), channel 113 on VM here in Nottingham was showing ITV Central East News (albeit from Birmingham ) in glorious High Definition (or at least, upscaled SD). Similarly, ITV Yorkshire was showing Calendar for Humberside (from a studio in Leeds ) in HD on channel 870.

I've read in other forums that to change the Freeview transmitters to show the correct subregions on Freeview channel 103 is difficult as the BBC owns the HD multiplex (PSB3) and doesn't want to share with ITV the cost of rearranging the multiplexing set-up to allow full regionalisation.
The studios in Nottingham closed yonks ago. Everything has been coming from Birmingham for some time. The East Midlands news is recorded earlier, then broadcast simultaneously with the live version for the West Midlands. You may have even seen the same presenters on both versions. The same happens with Anglia East & West regions, that both come from Norwich. The only difference is Arqiva have upgraded the links from the studios to carry 2 HD outputs simultaneously now, so no more “one sub region in SD & the other in HD”. If you are getting alternate regions (870) in HD then VMs MHE is being fed with all the upgraded feeds.

I think it will need a move from ITV to change PSB2 to DVB-T2 in order to get parity on Freeview. If it does happen that ITV 2, 3 or 4 closes it may become even more likely.

Last edited by nodrogd; 21-10-2020 at 15:58.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:19   #1325
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

There are three versions of Meridian News -with the same presenters doing all three of the 6pm editions with different news.

One for South East (called East) one for the South (called South) and one for the North (called Thames Valley).

Our HD version was the East version until this week - London would have been nearer.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 18:07   #1326
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice

Channel 113 here in Teesside is showing ITV Tyne Tees HD, with the SD version on 103. I'm not sure if this is new as previously the HD version was Granada. Also, the +1 channel used to show Calendar from Yorkshire, now 114 is Granada+1.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 20:13   #1327
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobbie8 View Post
Channel 113 here in Teesside is showing ITV Tyne Tees HD, with the SD version on 103. I'm not sure if this is new as previously the HD version was Granada. Also, the +1 channel used to show Calendar from Yorkshire, now 114 is Granada+1.
ITV have increased the number of HD regions and decreased the number of +1 variations.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

JJ20X on Forum Box has just posted a table of all the ITV HD changes on VM compiled from network scan data, if anyone want to see a more detailed breakdown.
https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...168#post102168
Old 21-10-2020, 21:29   #1328
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Just noticed this on DigitalBitRate

Looks like the guys (and gals) at head end are having a laugh at us

Service Name: Rekrap Yeson

Read backwards noseY parkeR

https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en

Also this which would appear to be a new slate

ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 22:53   #1329
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

VMs days of being the fastest widespread provider are numbered if the proposals i've seen happen.
Cityfibre and Hyperoptic are planning some serious investment to expand to cover 95% of the UK in the next 2 years.
Also the likes of SKY, BT, Vodafone (who are Cityfibre anyway) are going to seriously step up their rollout of Fibre to the premises.
Old 21-10-2020, 23:47   #1330
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSteve View Post
Just noticed this on DigitalBitRate

Looks like the guys (and gals) at head end are having a laugh at us

Service Name: Rekrap Yeson

Read backwards noseY parkeR

Also this which would appear to be a new slate

The Nosey Parker backwards thing is a few months old. JJ20X mentioned it on Forum Box a while ago.
Old 21-10-2020, 23:59   #1331
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
VMs days of being the fastest widespread provider are numbered if the proposals i've seen happen.
Cityfibre and Hyperoptic are planning some serious investment to expand to cover 95% of the UK in the next 2 years.
Also the likes of SKY, BT, Vodafone (who are Cityfibre anyway) are going to seriously step up their rollout of Fibre to the premises.
That’s pretty much impossible to build in that time.

Their public plans are 8m (2025) and 5m (2024) respectively. While I’m sure many are stating ambitious build plans to prevent others getting some of Boris’s £5bn actually delivering on it is something else entirely. Unless you mean FTTP will hit 95% including Openreach but I’d still say that’s ambitious.

Last edited by jfman; 22-10-2020 at 00:03.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 00:10   #1332
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Any links to confirm that, please?

I’ve looked on both sites, and can’t see any dates/rollout schedules.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 03:08   #1333
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Any links to confirm that, please?

I’ve looked on both sites, and can’t see any dates/rollout schedules.
No links only posting what's come through our systems,
keep in mind when we get the documentation it is only at proposal stages, still has to go through a lot of hoops red tape etc to even start going into motion. I think it's more along the lines of what Jfman mentioned it most likely includes Openreach number, i'll check the documentation properly on Friday when i'm back in work, as it came through just as i was finishing so only got quick glance.

---------- Post added at 02:08 ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That’s pretty much impossible to build in that time.

Their public plans are 8m (2025) and 5m (2024) respectively. While I’m sure many are stating ambitious build plans to prevent others getting some of Boris’s £5bn actually delivering on it is something else entirely. Unless you mean FTTP will hit 95% including Openreach but I’d still say that’s ambitious.
I'll read the documentation fully tomorrow (Friday) i'm off work today thankfully lol, but i'm inclined to agree with you.
I did postcode check and it says "we are working on coming to your area" my street is still stuck in upto 80mbs lol. Even VM aren't in my block but they are in the house next door, go figure eh?
I have a feeling that those figures we had may include Openreach and VM too, i'll defo check it fully when i'm in office on Friday.
Old 22-10-2020, 10:45   #1334
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

It might be a good idea to read the documentation more carefully in future before posting incorrect claims here
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 11:38   #1335
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I think it’d be hard for the UK to hit 95% gigabit capable coverage by not including the Virgin network by end 2022. The amount of ‘genuine competition’ within that I’d expect to be small.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote