Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 21:19   #6316
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Is that only for new purchasers?
Think so i got the info from cordcutters https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/appl...mber-1st-2019/

Plutotv is one to keep an eye on i think they are free and are getting quality content as of late since viacom bought them.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2019, 21:51   #6317
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If you had a lemonade stall and I started selling lemonade 50 yards down the road at 5/8ths of the price, do you think you'd keep the same number of customers you had yesterday?

There's a huge diff' between lemonade sellers and a huge outfit like Amazon, i'm sure that they are well aware of what is happening with Apple, but I'm not so sure that they will be overly worried about it, it's competition for them, granted, but they may well have something new to offer their customers...
Old 11-09-2019, 22:07   #6318
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There's a huge diff' between lemonade sellers and a huge outfit like Amazon, i'm sure that they are well aware of what is happening with Apple, but I'm not so sure that they will be overly worried about it, it's competition for them, granted, but they may well have something new to offer their customers...
Economics is economics whether you are a lemonade seller or the biggest company in the world.

I think it's quite astonishing to claim that Amazon wouldn't be concerned about Apple moving into the same market it is planning to. With the same "deep pockets", driving up the price of content and squeezing out your profits in the sub-£10 a month market.

They may well have something new, of course, but what? How much will it cost? Impacts on profits? Do customers want it? Huge questions for Amazon and Netflix here.
Old 12-09-2019, 00:05   #6319
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Area 12 still has no Prime App.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:22   #6320
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Britbox doomed from the start?
https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...nd-hard-place/
Old 12-09-2019, 09:32   #6321
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

No surprise with that analysis Chad as perhaps some will take their rose-colored glasses off now and accept real reality rather then their own one eyed agenda.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:23   #6322
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
If you had a lemonade stall and I started selling lemonade 50 yards down the road at 5/8ths of the price, do you think you'd keep the same number of customers you had yesterday?
That is not a correct analogy. Max asked a question relating to the comment that muppetman would be paying more fot the same content he was getting now (ie if he subscribed now to the new Apple+ app).

Given that Apple+ is not actually taking any content away from elsewhere, MM is looking at this incorrectly. The true position is that he would be paying more for additional content. That was Max's point.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No surprise with that analysis Chad as perhaps some will take their rose-colored glasses off now and accept real reality rather then their own one eyed agenda.
Maybe you should take off your blinkers and realise that ultimately the linear channels will not be there, so you will not have that expense. However, you will have a lot more choice.

Sport is a different matter, though - it is difficult to work out at the moment how that will settle down. I think that it will be those who want a range of sport (boxing, football, rugby, cricket, horse racing, wrestling (&#128513, darts, etc) that will end up paying more on present trends. However, if you just want the footie, this might be less as you will be paying for that and not the other sport as well as you do with Sky Sport. However, I would be surprised if discounted rates did not apply if you took a range of sports on Virgin, Sky or BT. Anything can happen there, I'd say.

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Area 12 still has no Prime App.
Nor has area 31.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
To my mind, this just accelerates the likelihood of all the scheduled channels attached to Britbox being closed down earlier and all the content put on there.

Britbox has to survive because that is how the major terrestrials will be disseminating their material just over a decade from now.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:39   #6323
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe you should take off your blinkers and realise that ultimately the linear channels will not be there, so you will not have that expense. However, you will have a lot more choice.
Again you are obsessed with your own narrow narrative and vision of things as there is no proof of this apart from in your own vivid imagination.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Quote:
To my mind, this just accelerates the likelihood of all the scheduled channels attached to Britbox being closed down earlier and all the content put on there.

Britbox has to survive because that is how the major terrestrials will be disseminating their material just over a decade from now.
Only in your opinion but not in the opinions of others...

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Quote:
Britbox has to survive in your opnion because it represents your one eyed vision of the future but of course that vision is falling apart in front of your very eyes.
Old 12-09-2019, 13:14   #6324
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
That is not a correct analogy. Max asked a question relating to the comment that muppetman would be paying more fot the same content he was getting now (ie if he subscribed now to the new Apple+ app).

Given that Apple+ is not actually taking any content away from elsewhere, MM is looking at this incorrectly. The true position is that he would be paying more for additional content. That was Max's point.
I made a standalone point which others responded to.

The analogy if quite correct you've just lost perspective. "New" content is a red herring. All content at creation is new, but it doesn't spawn into existence of its own accord as the universe did.

There's only one Steven Spielberg, demand for his time allows him to command a higher price. The same applies to all directors, actors, producers, and the whole entourage that goes alongside a major movie/TV series production.

So that, in and of itself, is bad news for Amazon on the cost side.

Again you've fell into the trap of assuming consumers have infinite time in which to watch television and money with which to pay for it. They don't. Which is bad news on the revenue side.

The two together: very bad news on the profit side.
Old 12-09-2019, 13:50   #6325
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Again you are obsessed with your own narrow narrative and vision of things as there is no proof of this apart from in your own vivid imagination.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Only in your opinion but not in the opinions of others...

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Britbox has to survive in your opnion because it represents your one eyed vision of the future but of course that vision is falling apart in front of your very eyes.
And that's your opinion, Den, which of course you are perfectly entitled to express, even without any links to support your view.

Over a long period, I have at least provided links to support the statements I have made.. You don't have to believe any of them, though. You can choose to believe what you want to believe.

You keep talking about 'my future' as if I was engineering it. I'm not, of course, I'm simply forming my views on the basis of what I read and what the industry itself appears to be working towards.

I do understand that you are more comfortable with things as they are, but your personal preference does not determine the future.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

Quote:
I made a standalone point which others responded to.

The analogy if quite correct you've just lost perspective. "New" content is a red herring. All content at creation is new, but it doesn't spawn into existence of its own accord as the universe did.

There's only one Steven Spielberg, demand for his time allows him to command a higher price. The same applies to all directors, actors, producers, and the whole entourage that goes alongside a major movie/TV series production.

So that, in and of itself, is bad news for Amazon on the cost side.

Again you've fell into the trap of assuming consumers have infinite time in which to watch television and money with which to pay for it. They don't. Which is bad news on the revenue side.

The two together: very bad news on the profit side.
It looked as though you were responding to Max's statement, but OK, fair enough.

While I understand what you are saying about existing writers, directors, etc being stretched to provide all this material, you are assuming that there is no other talent out there. It is incredibly difficult for anyone with aspirations to write, direct , perform, etc in this line of business, and increased demand will create more opportunities for them.

When one thing changes, it tends to have knock-on impacts. You tend to assume that everything else will remain the same, and that's where you and I disagree on many things.
Old 12-09-2019, 14:20   #6326
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
What the article actually says is:

How much does Apple TV+ cost?

It'll cost just $4.99 per month for a family subscription in the US.

To encourage signups, Apple will offer anyone who buys an iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV one year of Apple TV+ for free. You'll be able to subscribe to and watch Apple TV+ at tv.apple.com on the web via the Safari, Chrome, or Firefox browser.

So I don't think you will get it free if you already own one of these devices. The way I read it is that if you buy an Apple device, you will be offered a free subscription.
Sure the Apple sheep will be jumping in for the 11 so they would be eligible.
Old 12-09-2019, 15:06   #6327
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And that's your opinion, Den, which of course you are perfectly entitled to express, even without any links to support your view.

Over a long period, I have at least provided links to support the statements I have made.. You don't have to believe any of them, though. You can choose to believe what you want to believe.

You keep talking about 'my future' as if I was engineering it. I'm not, of course, I'm simply forming my views on the basis of what I read and what the industry itself appears to be working towards.

I do understand that you are more comfortable with things as they are, but your personal preference does not determine the future.

---------- Post added at 12:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

It looked as though you were responding to Max's statement, but OK, fair enough.

While I understand what you are saying about existing writers, directors, etc being stretched to provide all this material, you are assuming that there is no other talent out there. It is incredibly difficult for anyone with aspirations to write, direct , perform, etc in this line of business, and increased demand will create more opportunities for them.
While I'd generally welcome the increased employment opportunities it could give I won't hold my breath for increased quality given the extent television scrapes the barrel.
Old 12-09-2019, 18:33   #6328
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
While I'd generally welcome the increased employment opportunities it could give I won't hold my breath for increased quality given the extent television scrapes the barrel.
The streamers have already improved that quality. You won't find 'Road Wars' and the like on any of the streamers, although I expect we might expect some new ones to come up with mindless stuff especially for those who enjoy this rubbish.
Old 12-09-2019, 20:05   #6329
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
The streamers have already improved that quality. You won't find 'Road Wars' and the like on any of the streamers, although I expect we might expect some new ones to come up with mindless stuff especially for those who enjoy this rubbish.
Friends accounts for 2% of all Netflix views. Your idea that it's all new, compelling and innovative is flawed.
Old 12-09-2019, 22:43   #6330
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
It depends on the relative quality of the lemonade.

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Quote:
Friends accounts for 2% of all Netflix views. Your idea that it's all new, compelling and innovative is flawed.

Friends is total rubbish.
Closed Thread