Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 04-10-2004, 16:59   #226
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Okay, BT line installed (after a little bit of work as they discovered it had been physically unplugged somewhere after 6 or more years of non-use. Not sure if that will mean I get charged the £75 in the end, but they've already put £75 down on the contract details despite there being a BT socket in existence).

However the number port seems to be dragging. I've got an outbound dial-tone but no inbound calls yet as the port is still "in the queue". The BT guy said it may take a while, but should be within the same day. The line was done this morning and still no sign of the number being ported across yet.

Update: Number port has gone through now. So far so good

Haven't decided on a modem yet though. I need one that works well with most routers, and I'm reading bad things about some of the D-Links. Does anyone use Freesco or any other linux router together with an ADSL modem, and what modem do you use?
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2004, 19:31   #227
DeadKenny
Inactive

DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Update 2: Application gone in for PlusNet and they've accepted everything so far for 2Mbps uncapped pending line checks
Old 04-10-2004, 23:51   #228
DeadKenny
Inactive

Update 3: Hmm, rejected at the 2nd step where they verified the line. Initial reply suggests it could be something "incompatible" on the line

Still, it could just be I put the application in too soon and the number isn't fully registered on BT's system. Hope so otherwise I could be out of luck
Old 06-10-2004, 14:01   #229
DeadKenny
Inactive

Update 4: Looks like I'd jumped the gun that's all. It's resubmitted and they tell me it's due for activation on the 13th

So, modems...

Anyone know anything about X-Modem?

I need to know if it works with linux routers like Freesco.

Failing that, any other recommended standalone Ethernet modems that are a drop-in replacement for the cable modem. The D-Link seems to get bad reviews for compatibility (but then X-Modem has compatibility problems with some routers also).
Old 22-10-2004, 12:54   #230
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough

This is an old thread but a very interesting one.
I'm looking at getting 2meg adsl with Nildram. Why 2meg? Well my eldest and i used to actually manage to share a 512k adsl for gaming a few years back. It was'nt perfect, but it was playable, we tried sharing 1 meg cable, but it was'nt good. Since the 1.5meg its not been that good at all,for gaming or much else except browsing etc. He's had his own 1meg adsl put in, and hes happy as larry but it costs him money he cant really afford.
I find i just cant get a decent game of UT with cable, and i've just got fed up of trying.
Been with NTL for 2 yrs, and been pretty happy with the service overall,and the help i've had here when there has been trouble.
So if Nildram dont look after me, i hope ntl will have me back.
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 18:53   #231
littld
Inactive

Services: Phone line
littld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud oflittld has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to littld

Downside for me is I have heard you have to "log on" each time you use the Internet or restart your PC. One of the main benefits of ntl is the "always-on" connection. I'd miss that. Can anyone confirm whether or not you do have to log in to ADSL or is this a myth.
littld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 20:51   #232
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by littld
Downside for me is I have heard you have to "log on" each time you use the Internet or restart your PC. One of the main benefits of ntl is the "always-on" connection. I'd miss that. Can anyone confirm whether or not you do have to log in to ADSL or is this a myth.
No you don't have to.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 22:08   #233
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Yep, Neil is right... When I had ADSL (with Club Internet back in 2000) I only had to do that because the ISP insisted on it, but I soon managed to find a workaround
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 22:18   #234
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

My recollection is that ADSl does act like a dialup, but in many setups, it is set to connect during PC startup - actually, if you're paranoid about "leaks", you may prefer to have it manually initiated - especially if on one of the 1Gb or 2Gb capped services, as "always on" is not such a great idea then.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2005, 22:25   #235
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Yep, good point that if you're metered it may be something to consider (especially if you've got a wireless router too)... I hadn't thought of that, as I had unmetered back then.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 18:12   #236
DeadKenny
Inactive

ADSL's "dial-up" nature is a throw back to the fact BT rolled it on on horrible USB adapters.

ADSL routers and standalone modems are basically the same as cable modems (which are mini-routers in themselves just with NAT abilities turned off usually). These are "always on" (assuming you leave the thing switched on). Rebooting your PC doesn't require reconnection in this case.

There is authentication involved with ADSL with username/password and this must be set up in the router/modem, whereas cable is authenticated on MAC address (easily faked, but then you're sharing the data with all your neighbours so who cares about security ).
Old 27-07-2005, 20:02   #237
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

What's the ADSL of choice these days?
Old 27-07-2005, 20:13   #238
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1
What's the ADSL of choice these days?
Judging by numerous recent complaints (see el reg), not Bulldog
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 00:16   #239
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Try the advanced search on asdlguide to find an ISP that suits you. It all depends on what start up costs you're willing to pay and what sort of equipment you want throwing in.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 02:40   #240
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C
Judging by numerous recent complaints (see el reg), not Bulldog
Oh yes, Bulldog, things are very bad at the moment I'd not recommend them if you like your ISP hassle free.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote