Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Still waiting for Sky Broadband ... stupid BT exchange problems

Old 09-02-2007, 17:57   #1
asy1mpo
Inactive

asy1mpo is an unknown quantity at this point
Still waiting for Sky Broadband ... stupid BT exchange problems

I live in the city centre of Manchester and have ordered Sky Tv and broadband

Finally got the Sky TV installed - 3rd attempt for the engineer to come round. 2 previous times he was 'ill'

Got a letter about 10 days ago saying delay in broadband because they have been told by BT that there was a problem with the exchange. This type of problem usual gets fixed in 3 weeks!! :-0

I did some research and found out the name of the exchange my tel. no is on. Its status is down as live on some ISP sites. I would have thought it would be all up and running (and if not they would sort it ASAP) since I am in the city centre and I am sure some businesses are on the same exchange.

If there is more delay I may have to look into cable - unfortunately its not as cheap as Sky (which is only £5/month).

Been without Internet at home since end of December. Still had broadband at old home but that stops tomorrow. Ahhhh!!

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Just done a check on postcode and says I cant get cable??

Was told by developers that I can have ADSL or cable - all the wires are all plugged in etc.

However maybe I am wrong?? I typed the postcode into the Virgin web site and it says no-cable. However the postcode is a brand new one since its a brand new building.
asy1mpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2007, 18:23   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Still waiting for Sky Broadband ... stupid BT exchange problems

It's probably either not on the system properly yet or the developers have omitted to tell you that everything has to be plugged in at Virgin medias' end too Just because the cables are there it doesn't mean they are connected back to the source.
3 week delay sounds like a hardware issue in the exchange so you may be waiting on an upgrade as they cannot move you ont Sky BB without equipment upgrades a lot of the time.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 19:19   #3
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

best place to check is samknows - find your exchange info in that site.

it will tell you exactly what LLU services are setup on your exchange.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 15:27   #4
asy1mpo
Inactive

Just checked online and under Local loop unbundled presence next to Sky it says enabled

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ex...hp?ecode=MRBLA

Hmmm

Is it best to call BT or Sky just to check whats the latest
Old 11-02-2007, 01:15   #5
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

speak to sky or ukonline

http://www.ukonline.net/?sso_auth=0
Old 12-02-2007, 11:31   #6
asy1mpo
Inactive

thanks

will call them at lunch

done a tel. no and postcode check on the UKOnline web site and it says cant get it?? tried again on the Sky broadband web site and it says i can get it fine. (Out of interest I checked BT Broadband web site and thats fine).

Been without internet for so long now!!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:51   #7
etccarmageddon
Inactive

best to speak to a human I think.
Old 12-02-2007, 14:46   #8
asy1mpo
Inactive

just spoke to someone from Sky

apparently the problem was fixed on the 8th Feb

the router is being sent out today. will arrive at the parcel company tomorrow and then i should get it wednesday or thursday - about time!!
Old 14-02-2007, 12:44   #9
asy1mpo
Inactive

Received the router on Monday night and tried to connect (even though I didnt receive letter from them saying activated - however had problems with exchange and all that so thought give it a go).

However it didnt work. Called Sky yesterday and they eventually told me it would take about 3 working days. Fine I thought. That afternoon I got a text from Sky saying Sky Broadband is now live. Tried to connect last night and no joy. Tried all the usual things - re-booting router, turning off for 10 seconds, setting up laptop for DHCP and also specify IP,... etc

I gave them a call and did a few tests - basically rebooting router but no joy. Logged onto router control panel and did the disconnect and then sky test (which I had already tried). Message was could not find connection to Internet. It has been escalated to higher level of support and they are calling me back tonight.

Its been almost 2 months since I had internet at home with the combination of waiting for BT engineers, problem with exchange, waiting for router, waiting for activation,.....

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Old 16-02-2007, 10:23   #10
asy1mpo
Inactive

finally online now!!
like the tech support said it would take about 3 working days
however not received a letter from Sky to say its activated etc but thats a minor thing (I did receive letter about 3-4 weeks ago about it being activated in 10-15 days but that was before they said had problem with exchange)
To confuse matters received a text on Tuesday to say broadband was live.
Old 16-02-2007, 23:46   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

I got my "Your Sky Broadband is now live!" text message a week after it was actually activated, lol.

Out of interest, which service have you subscribed too, & what speed do you actually connect at?

If you have noise margin problems, causing a crappy sync speed, you may find this interesting:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/63...ving-poor.html
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote