Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 17-07-2022, 18:20   #1456
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The same can be asked of channels maintaining a linear presence and streaming, a proposition you so vigorously oppose.

Which cannot be said of linear channels closing. There are clear losers in this scenario, and no winners.
I think you completely misunderstand my position on this (not for the first time!).

I don’t oppose maintaining a linear presence. I just don’t think it will happen as it doesn’t make economic sense, given the alternatives.

It does depend on broadband being completely rolled out first of course, and any U-turns by this or subsequent governments. Abolition of the licence fee in favour of subscriptions cannot happen while broadcast TV over the airways continues to exist.
Old 17-07-2022, 18:39   #1457
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think you completely misunderstand my position on this (not for the first time!).

I don’t oppose maintaining a linear presence. I just don’t think it will happen as it doesn’t make economic sense, given the alternatives.

It does depend on broadband being completely rolled out first of course, and any U-turns by this or subsequent governments. Abolition of the licence fee in favour of subscriptions cannot happen while broadcast TV over the airways continues to exist.
Broadband isn't and never will be as reliable as a tv signal.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 18:48   #1458
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I don’t think I’m misunderstanding your position at all. I’m simply pointing out the inconsistencies within it. A streamer going out their way to create an ad driven service (presumably at additional cost?) = good. A linear channel maintaining a presence - to every television in the land regardless of internet connectivity at low cost = bad/uneconomic.

I’m still yet to see you quantify how much is actually saved in this process. None of the BBC examples count as they each involve a reduction or increase in commissioned content. I’ve always been clear my statements are in relation to maintaining linear in addition to the same content being streamed.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Didn’t you hear the Tory leadership candidate that promised full fibre for all by 2025?

Oh yeah he became PM, watered it down to gigabit capable and only 85%, £5bn became £1.2bn in the current spending review. Anyway on the whole he left a lot to be desired and they binned him.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 19:05   #1459
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
That isn’t the issue.

By the way, I have never had my TV interrupted by a broadband outage. However, last night we had a power cut. Only 3.5 hours, but it killed my Saturday night.
Old 17-07-2022, 19:08   #1460
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
That isn’t the issue.
How can it not be an issue? Speeds, congestion, outages. All impact on the ability to watch television over broadband.

Quote:
By the way, I have never had my TV interrupted by a broadband outage. However, last night we had a power cut. Only 3.5 hours, but it killed my Saturday night.
Well if you’ve got Virgin Media the TV service won’t necessarily go with the broadband. Any streamers you watch obviously will.
Old 17-07-2022, 19:19   #1461
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I don’t think I’m misunderstanding your position at all. I’m simply pointing out the inconsistencies within it. A streamer going out their way to create an ad driven service (presumably at additional cost?) = good. A linear channel maintaining a presence - to every television in the land regardless of internet connectivity at low cost = bad/uneconomic.

As I said, you misunderstand. The Conservatives have long been sympathetic to the replacement of the licence fee with a subscription method. As long as this preference continues, then it will end up as legislation and the Beeb will be obliged to cease having the licence fee available to fund their operations.

That is my premise. If anything changes, then clearly that would alter my prediction.

So pray tell me, if the government decides to go for the licence fee being abolished in favour of a subscription, how exactly is broadcasting from transmitters remotely possible?

That is your challenge, jfman. It’s not about personal preference or what you believe people want, it’s about practicalities.

My prediction is based on what I think will happen, not what I prefer will happen. Personally, as long as everything I want to watch is available to access without having to sit through adverts, I am happy. Others can do as they please.

But everything I predicted in 2015 is coming to pass. Nothing has happened that seriously challenges that prediction. And it’s still only 2022.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:17 ----------

Quote:
How can it not be an issue? Speeds, congestion, outages. All impact on the ability to watch television over broadband.

Well if you’ve got Virgin Media the TV service won’t necessarily go with the broadband. Any streamers you watch obviously will.
I’ve never had problems with streamers either. Any more ‘problems’ you want to invent?
Old 17-07-2022, 19:29   #1462
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
As I said, you misunderstand. The Conservatives have long been sympathetic to the replacement of the licence fee with a subscription method. As long as this preference continues, then it will end up as legislation and the Beeb will be obliged to cease having the licence fee available to fund their operations.

That is my premise. If anything changes, then clearly that would alter my prediction.
Not so much alter your prediction as you be proven wrong.

I’ve been reading licence fee abolition stories since I was in nappies, OB. There’s nothing substantially changed.

And regardless - even if I accepted the premise which I don’t - I still think a commercial player would jump at being in a position to be there when someone presses “1” on their TV.

Quote:
So pray tell me, if the government decides to go for the licence fee being abolished in favour of a subscription, how exactly is broadcasting from transmitters remotely possible?

Is that it, broadcast television is only viable with public subsidy?

Quote:
That is your challenge, jfman. It’s not about personal preference or what you believe people want, it’s about practicalities.
There’s nothing more practical about being an exclusively streaming service than using that to complement broadcast television. It’s less practical.

Quote:
My prediction is based on what I think will happen, not what I prefer will happen. Personally, as long as everything I want to watch is available to access without having to sit through adverts, I am happy. Others can do as they please.

But everything I predicted in 2015 is coming to pass. Nothing has happened that seriously challenges that prediction. And it’s still only 2022.

I’ve never had problems with streamers either. Any more ‘problems’ you want to invent?
It’s not inventing things to say operators have internet outages. Most of them have a faults page such is the regularity these occur!

The bit in bold is demonstrably untrue by virtue of how frequently you wish to reduce consumer choice, not increase it.
Old 17-07-2022, 19:35   #1463
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Especially Virgin medias.
I'm with a relatively new company though connection is superb solid 950mbs down ans 950mbs up there was issues with the ip addresses coming up as France instead of UK, they sorted it though.
Old 17-07-2022, 22:02   #1464
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Especially Virgin medias.
I'm with a relatively new company though connection is superb solid 950mbs down ans 950mbs up there was issues with the ip addresses coming up as France instead of UK, they sorted it though.
That isn't the case everywhere mate, I've hardly ever had a problem with their BB service.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 23:09   #1465
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Some Conservatives…

Others are sympathetic to keeping the licence fee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51530752

That post reflects the tone of a lot of your posts - all or nothing, sweeping statements/opinions posted as facts, and no/little supporting evidence, often distorting/misrepresenting things - are you Nadine Dorries?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 17-07-2022 at 23:25.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 00:36   #1466
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Not so much alter your prediction as you be proven wrong.

I’ve been reading licence fee abolition stories since I was in nappies, OB. There’s nothing substantially changed.

And regardless - even if I accepted the premise which I don’t - I still think a commercial player would jump at being in a position to be there when someone presses “1” on their TV.

I have not been ‘proven wrong’, jfman. We are nowhere near 2035 yet but I recognise that time is a concept that you have difficulty grasping.

I don’t see the point in your reference to a ‘commercial player’. If the government decides to use the existing TV bandwidth for something else, there won’t be such a choice.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

Quote:

It’s not inventing things to say operators have internet outages. Most of them have a faults page such is the regularity these occur!

The bit in bold is demonstrably untrue by virtue of how frequently you wish to reduce consumer choice, not increase it.
I have not denied that internet outages occur. Pretty infrequently in my experience. As I said, power outages occur too.

The bit in bold is, in fact, true, whether you care to believe it or not. It’s a prediction, not a desire on my part.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Some Conservatives…

Others are sympathetic to keeping the licence fee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51530752

That post reflects the tone of a lot of your posts - all or nothing, sweeping statements/opinions posted as facts, and no/little supporting evidence, often distorting/misrepresenting things - are you Nadine Dorries?
It’s just my prediction, Hugh. Other views are available.
Old 18-07-2022, 02:01   #1467
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I have not been ‘proven wrong’, jfman. We are nowhere near 2035 yet but I recognise that time is a concept that you have difficulty grasping.

I don’t see the point in your reference to a ‘commercial player’. If the government decides to use the existing TV bandwidth for something else, there won’t be such a choice.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

I have not denied that internet outages occur. Pretty infrequently in my experience. As I said, power outages occur too.

The bit in bold is, in fact, true, whether you care to believe it or not. It’s a prediction, not a desire on my part.

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

It’s just my prediction, Hugh. Other views are available.
Quote:
Conservatives have long been sympathetic to the replacement of the licence fee with a subscription method
Pretty sure statements using the words "have long been sympathetic" isn’t a prediction - predictions would use the future tense…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 03:25   #1468
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That isn't the case everywhere mate, I've hardly ever had a problem with their BB service.
Yeah tbf to VM my old flat i didn't have issues with their broadband just their prices, but this flat funny thing is vm is in the houses either side but not in the block, it's only 5 flats so would have been a relatively easy job.
Thankfully City fibre laid their cabling down last year and last month providers started installing, got a decent deal with Digital home £35p/m for 900mbs up and down although i'm averaging 845mbs both ways and that's for 24 months with a no price rise promise during the contract.
Old 18-07-2022, 06:22   #1469
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No more difficulty than that you have recognising the point I actually made. If you make a prediction and it doesn’t happen you don’t alter your prediction - it’s just wrong.

Quote:
So now we are conflating two issues - the licence fee and digital terrestrial television. Neither of which would necessarily end linear.
Old 18-07-2022, 09:07   #1470
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Pretty sure statements using the words "have long been sympathetic" isn’t a prediction - predictions would use the future tense…
I’m really not sure what you are getting at. If there is a long held view held by an influential group of people, that can influence the future. To express a view on how that may come about is a prediction.