Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pinging non existing machines and getting response

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Which adapter?

Old 16-06-2010, 12:09   #1
Matty_
cf.geek

Matty_ has reached the bronze age
Matty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze age
Which adapter?

Okay here`s the deal, iv`e just changed from Virgin to sky for my broadband and the new stuff came today. Previously we had the modem downstairs and a 20M cable with an RJ45 connector on each end which linked from the Modem to the WAN input on the Router upstairs. The computers and XBox all have their own hard wired cables going to the Router.
So i would like to situate the Router (or what is now Modem/Router) in the same place as the old one. The only trouble is BT have put the new point in downstairs next to where the modem was situated.
Now on looking at the set up you have the filter which has a phone output and an output which goes to the modem/router. This looks like a 2-wire RJ11.
What i would like to do is use the cable which goes upstairs but obviously the connectors are wrong so i need to convert the rj11 in to rj45 out at the phone line end and vise versa at the other end.
Is it possible to do this or am i better of getting some new rj11 connectors and cutting/re-crimping the existing cable so it has the correct connectors on?

Any ideas on the best way forward, can i get the right adapters?

Cheers,
Matty
Matty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2010, 12:46   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Which adapter?

UTP is overkill for telephone line extension. Also the twisted pair characteristics might have an unwanted effect on the ADSL signal (no way of knowing though without trying.)

Telephone extension wire is cheap.. Or you could leave the modem/router downstairs, run the ethernet from the router to a hub/switch upstairs and plug the PC/consoles into the hub/switch. This then gives you spare ethernet ports downstairs if you ever need them
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 13:10   #3
Matty_
cf.geek

Matty_ has reached the bronze age
Matty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze ageMatty_ has reached the bronze age

Never really thought about if the twist in the rj45 cable might effect the ADSL, i suppose like you say i can but see

Iv`e got plenty of BT cable so if i need to run another extension in it`s not a problem (just lazy really).

The Hub/Switch is a good call, think i`ll pop down to Maplins and see what they have. Now iv`e got a plan, see if i can get adapters first, if not fit rj11`s on the Cat 5e (i can allways change em back). If that doesn`t work as expected go for the Hub/Switch with the Modem/Router downstairs

Nice 1
Matty_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 13:19   #4
berkut
Inactive

Services: 30Mb BB, XL Phone, XL TV and V+
berkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the roughberkut is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
UTP is overkill for telephone line extension. Also the twisted pair characteristics might have an unwanted effect on the ADSL signal (no way of knowing though without trying.)......

I support a small network and the Fax/DSL line is cabled using UTP and presented as a std phone point in the office which is about 40ft away and there is no discernible issue... they are on an up to 8Mb BT Business ADSL connection and are approx 300ft from the exchange and are getting 7Mbps constantly

I would reckon the OP will be OK with this

Berkut
berkut is offline   Reply With Quote