Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Huge fire at West London tower block

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Huge fire at West London tower block

Old 19-06-2017, 16:00   #151
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Huge fire at West London tower block

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
So has the government not tried the same with their £5million fund? Does this mean that if your house now burns down through no fault of your own you are going to be entitled to approx. £5,500 plus all the other expenses the government have promised? I don't begrudge the people affected anything, but the 'scheme' was only announced when it became apparent how badly HMG had handled things.

Cheers

Dave
I think you'll find it is due to how badly K&C Council were handling it.

Responsibility for taking care of survivors transferred to new response team after criticism of Kensington and Chelsea
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2017, 16:10   #152
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I guess we will have to wait until we get an authoritative report ..
Now there's an idea!
Old 19-06-2017, 16:59   #153
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
So has the government not tried the same with their £5million fund? Does this mean that if your house now burns down through no fault of your own you are going to be entitled to approx. £5,500 plus all the other expenses the government have promised? I don't begrudge the people affected anything, but the 'scheme' was only announced when it became apparent how badly HMG had handled things.

Cheers

Dave
HMG has been forced to step in as a result of the chaos which has unfolded in Kensington and the desperate need to get something done about a disaster problem which the LA clearly couldn't cope with. Corbyn is telling everyone Labour care more about the homeless yet his party have done very little about the problems I highlighted whether the homeless in general or the conditions within these tower blocks which at least the LA concerned were trying to improve even if it all went terribly wrong. What was that block like when Labour were in Government for 13 years. If it was such an important cause why was it left for the evil Tories to undertake? If the last Labour government had passed the law and got on with the job there'd have been no need for this refurbishment and the use of flammable materials would have been outlawed.

Why on earth would a serious party leader recommend seizing property, with all the complicated legal (and other) ramifications and huge costs that would have, when it would be far easier/quicker and make more sense just to rent accommodation for the families concerned until suitable permanent housing be found? He's done it for one reason only, to stir up more us v them hatred in just the same way as they've done countless times in my lifetime. The sort of hatred in which buildings are burned and ironically people could have died. I hope his totally irresponsible stirring doesn't turn out to cost lives too.

If Corbyn's going to tell us that Labour would do it all differently he'll have to explain why they didn't do that all before not just whine on and on about what the Tories should be doing in the immediate aftermath of a disaster.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 19:30   #154
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
HMG has been forced to step in as a result of the chaos which has unfolded in Kensington and the desperate need to get something done about a disaster problem which the LA clearly couldn't cope with. Corbyn is telling everyone Labour care more about the homeless yet his party have done very little about the problems I highlighted whether the homeless in general or the conditions within these tower blocks which at least the LA concerned were trying to improve even if it all went terribly wrong. What was that block like when Labour were in Government for 13 years. If it was such an important cause why was it left for the evil Tories to undertake? If the last Labour government had passed the law and got on with the job there'd have been no need for this refurbishment and the use of flammable materials would have been outlawed.

Why on earth would a serious party leader recommend seizing property, with all the complicated legal (and other) ramifications and huge costs that would have, when it would be far easier/quicker and make more sense just to rent accommodation for the families concerned until suitable permanent housing be found? He's done it for one reason only, to stir up more us v them hatred in just the same way as they've done countless times in my lifetime. The sort of hatred in which buildings are burned and ironically people could have died. I hope his totally irresponsible stirring doesn't turn out to cost lives too.

If Corbyn's going to tell us that Labour would do it all differently he'll have to explain why they didn't do that all before not just whine on and on about what the Tories should be doing in the immediate aftermath of a disaster.
Yes, but why do the government now feel the need to give the residents £5,500? I'm struggling to see the link between the failure of the local (Conservative?) council and the need for central government to wade in with handfuls of cash. The response of the LHA has been disgusting and changes need to be made there but why are we giving away money? Re-house yes but you buy insurance to cover you for things like this.

And I think you know why Labour didn't do anything radical during their last administration - they were quite a different flavour to the Labour party we've got today.

---------- Post added at 19:30 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Very badly handled but that doesn't explain the need to hand out cash.

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 21:05   #155
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I wonder if everyone whose home burns down is now entitled to £5,500 ?

Perhaps the Insurance companies will now deduct that sum from any insurance claim.

Some interesting comments from a BBC report ;
Quote:
In a separate development, Panorama has discovered that firefighters put out the first fire at Grenfell Tower.

They were called to a fridge fire, and within minutes told residents the fire was out in the flat.

The crew was leaving the building when firefighters outside spotted flames rising up the side of the building.

The Fire Brigades Union say firefighters were left facing an unprecedented fire, and officers broke their own safety protocol to rescue people.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 21:09   #156
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

And I think you know why Labour didn't do anything radical during their last administration - they were quite a different flavour to the Labour party we've got today.
It's not just the last Labour administration though is it, I'm old enough to recall all the broken dreams and promises of Labour governments dating back to Harold Wilson so please don't assume Bliar's time is my sole benchmark when judging Labour. They have always talked the talk yet either failed to deliver or virtually ruined the economy with their ineptitude and pathetic us V them dogma which frankly belongs back in the last century along Arthur Scargill, Red Robbo, Derek Hatton and the rest of the red loonies.

There's nothing different about Corbyn - he's been playing the same old tune for decades for anyone old enough to remember. The same old hate filled us v. them garbage which is perennially used to cover up Labour's failings.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 23:55   #157
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
It's not just the last Labour administration though is it, I'm old enough to recall all the broken dreams and promises of Labour governments dating back to Harold Wilson so please don't assume Bliar's time is my sole benchmark when judging Labour. They have always talked the talk yet either failed to deliver or virtually ruined the economy with their ineptitude and pathetic us V them dogma which frankly belongs back in the last century along Arthur Scargill, Red Robbo, Derek Hatton and the rest of the red loonies.

There's nothing different about Corbyn - he's been playing the same old tune for decades for anyone old enough to remember. The same old hate filled us v. them garbage which is perennially used to cover up Labour's failings.
I understand you have the odd issue with the Labour party but I'd still be interested to know why you seem to feel only the Labour party are trying to make political hey from what we hopefully both agree is a tragedy. Do you not feel the government giving money to those affected could fall in to the same category - especially after the response during the first few days that was nothing more than a fiasco? If the Local Authority had of stepped up on day 1 do you seriously think the hand-outs would have been forthcoming? The only difference is the Conservatives have been pushed in to trying to score some points because of dithering ineptitude and someone somewhere has come up with £5million as a figure that they hope will be the smallest amount required to buy themselves out of the hole they've been digging.

Cheers

Dave
Old 20-06-2017, 09:09   #158
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I understand you have the odd issue with the Labour party but I'd still be interested to know why you seem to feel only the Labour party are trying to make political hey from what we hopefully both agree is a tragedy. Do you not feel the government giving money to those affected could fall in to the same category - especially after the response during the first few days that was nothing more than a fiasco? If the Local Authority had of stepped up on day 1 do you seriously think the hand-outs would have been forthcoming? The only difference is the Conservatives have been pushed in to trying to score some points because of dithering ineptitude and someone somewhere has come up with £5million as a figure that they hope will be the smallest amount required to buy themselves out of the hole they've been digging.

Cheers

Dave
It must have been seriously tempting to do absolutely nothing since anything they do there will always be someone to moan/complain about it.
Old 20-06-2017, 09:28   #159
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
It must have been seriously tempting to do absolutely nothing since anything they do there will always be someone to moan/complain about it.

Couldn't agree more, just as there will always be people who dance around the issue without answering the question

Cheers

Dave
Old 20-06-2017, 16:59   #160
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Apparently, because of the demographics of the people living in this tower block, it has transpired that there was overcrowding and that illegal immigrants were living there.

There is to be an amnesty so that these people can come forward to claim the money that they are 'owed'!

I wonder if the owners of the Titanic paid out compensation to any stowaways?

Meanwhile, there were/are London born people living on the streets/forced out of the capital...
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 17:27   #161
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, because of the demographics of the people living in this tower block, it has transpired that there was overcrowding and that illegal immigrants were living there.

There is to be an amnesty so that these people can come forward to claim the money that they are 'owed'!

I wonder if the owners of the Titanic paid out compensation to any stowaways?

Meanwhile, there were/are London born people living on the streets/forced out of the capital...

Good point!
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 19:41   #162
RizzyKing

There should be no amnesty and no payments to illegal immigrants and even the thought of that demonstrates why this country is becoming a joke. From what I've read so far it was a tenant on the fourth floor responsible for the fire and they just left without raising the alarm great neighbour there. The decisions that led to that cladding need to be asked and answered but we also have to look at responsibility that may lie with the tenants as well, I've been to tower blocks before where doors were wedged open and smoke detectors disabled because people wanted to smoke in comfort. There is definately blame and responsibility within the council but at this stage all avenues of blame and responsibility need to be looked at.
Old 20-06-2017, 20:39   #163
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Adele turned up at a fire station that battled the fire, she knocked on their window loaded with cakes for a chat and cuddle.

http://news.sky.com/story/adele-visi...uddle-10921070
Old 20-06-2017, 21:07   #164
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I'm trying to work out how a claimed 600 people would fit into a total of 225 bedrooms, in mainly 1 or 2 bedroom flats.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 21:16   #165
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Not sure how accurate the 600 people figure is but there were many families in that block. Children could share a room etc.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote