Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 08-11-2016, 19:56   #1081
dodgem22
cf.addict

Services: virgin tv phone and broadband giff gaff mobile
dodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about themdodgem22 has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

yep theyre not giving much away are they. The questions and comments from those who have one though are snippets of information but not a lot granted.
dodgem22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2016, 20:00   #1082
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
So all we know from this info is it's UHD and a bit faster.

What source are you using for the 'bit' aspect of the bit faster comment?

Are you guessing, moaning for the sake of it, or actually have evidence?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 20:09   #1083
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Well, what we do know is that the new box has more tuners (6 altogether is likely); it is much more responsive; the basic box will be 1TB (but there may be another available at 2 TB); it is UHD ready. We may or may not have a new UI.

That alone is pretty exciting to me and I can't wait to hear about all the other features.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 20:20   #1084
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I doubt you will need a Hub 3.0 as it is likely that the V6 can be used with other broadband suppliers product.
I was told by VM last month when i arranged my new contract i would need a hub 3 to get all the functions on the new box. This was from a VM employee who was testing the box. He sold me a new hub 3 for £14.99 (VM never took the money), so i was wondering if it was just sales patter.

---------- Post added at 19:20 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

That alone is pretty exciting to me and I can't wait to hear about all the other features.
There is a lot of talk about a new app which will let you watch recordings through it. I wonder if this has something to do with the possible hub 3 requirements.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 21:11   #1085
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What do you mean? I have now tv on my phone and tablet, both android.
Now you have moved to Sky you could cancel this as I think they have their own version of VM's TV Anywhere.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 21:13   #1086
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

The latest version of the iOS TV Anywhere app allows you to watch recordings from My Shows for V6 and to download one to the iPad or iPhone for offline viewing.
This can be done on V6 because V6 uses your home network whereas TiVo had only its own 10Mb internet connection with its feeble upload capability.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 23:03   #1087
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Now you have moved to Sky you could cancel this as I think they have their own version of VM's TV Anywhere.
Yes it's Sky Go, or I can use the Sky Q app for most things too.

I have nothing to cancel as I get Now TV free from another service provider.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:40   #1088
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, what we do know is that the new box has more tuners (6 altogether is likely); it is much more responsive; the basic box will be 1TB (but there may be another available at 2 TB); it is UHD ready. We may or may not have a new UI.

Given that hard drives cost about thruppence nowadays, should this come with 4TB as a minimum?
Old 09-11-2016, 11:20   #1089
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I'm really at a loss to understand why people want huge disks.

Even my elderly TiVo has a 1TB disk and, with only paltry MPEG2 encoding, it can store 120 hours of HD programs.

If, and I don't, have it full, when could I ever get round to watching all that material? Never and I'm retired and don't have to go to work 8 hours a day.

Why do people want to archive loads of material that they'll never, ever get round to watching?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:34   #1090
OhReally

Quote:

Even my elderly TiVo has a 1TB disk and, with only paltry MPEG2 encoding, it can store 120 hours of HD programs.

If, and I don't, have it full, when could I ever get round to watching all that material? Never and I'm retired and don't have to go to work 8 hours a day.

Why do people want to archive loads of material that they'll never, ever get round to watching?
Because...

1. When there are 4 people in a house who all like to record and watch different things
2. Storing stuff up to watch an entire series at once over a weekend - multiple series
3. How much space will UHD take
Old 09-11-2016, 12:40   #1091
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Because...

1. When there are 4 people in a house who all like to record and watch different things
2. Storing stuff up to watch an entire series at once over a weekend - multiple series
3. How much space will UHD take
I guess the real debate is how many of these programmes are:
a) available on demand in the first place.
b) available on demand for a sufficient length of time for most people.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:53   #1092
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Well, I have a 1 TB box and I had to stop recording in HD because it was taking up too much space.

My hard drive is almost full, with a good number of dramas, entertainment, science and history programmes, all in SD. I do not archive them. Once watched, they are deleted.

A 2TB box is essential for me so that I can record most of my programmes in HD.

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I guess the real debate is how many of these programmes are:
a) available on demand in the first place.
b) available on demand for a sufficient length of time for most people.
I would certainly make more use of on demand if the programmes were on there for a decent period of time. Deletion of shows on catch up after a week just doesn't do anything for me, I'm afraid. I only make use of catch up in emergencies!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 14:21   #1093
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Most catchup is 30 days isn't it ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 14:27   #1094
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Most catchup is 30 days isn't it ?
Some is a lot longer; ad-funded 4OD is there forever. Are films available for a shorter time?
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 15:13   #1095
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Some is a lot longer; ad-funded 4OD is there forever. Are films available for a shorter time?
But not in HD of course. In fact 4OD's picture quality is lamentable - even Five's SD looks superior.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote