Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2020, 21:20   #4351
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm with you on this one, Seph. Even if Trump won the election, there's no plans for a UK-US trade deal this year.
There isn’t, but it’s more viable and there are EU positions that are red flags for a deal with the Trump administration.

The EU similarly, if they think Biden will win, know that they will extract more from the UK position in November because they’re the only show in town for the foreseeable.
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2020, 20:04   #4352
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I've got a good idea. We could join up with nearby European countries forming some sort of economic alliance. Call it the 'European Alliance' if you like. It would then be the biggest economic block in the World and we'd have much more leverage in Trade deals. We'd all live happily ever after instead of becoming a dwindling irrelevant economic backwater, seeking aid/pity from others..... Good idea eh?
Wake up, Mr K, you are having another nightmare, and it hasn’t played out yet.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
gets my support 100% isn't that what we thought we were joining?

Oh you missed out the turning into a federal super state bit.........
Not to mention minor issues like a European Army.

Even more worrying, of course, is the EU’s anti-business stance. In fact the more I think about the EU, the more reasons I come up with why we really don’t want to be part of it.
Old 25-10-2020, 00:19   #4353
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Seems to back up what jfman was saying.
Quote:
Johnson will wait for US election result before no-deal Brexit decision
Ivan Rogers, who was the UK’s permanent representative in Brussels from 2013 to 2017, told the Observer that a view shared by ministers and officials he has talked to in recent weeks in several European capitals, is that Johnson is biding his time – and is much more likely to opt for no deal if his friend and Brexit supporter Donald Trump prevails over the Democratic challenger, Joe Biden.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...rexit-decision
Old 25-10-2020, 13:10   #4354
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The headline isn’t supported by the content of the article. The article first of all is hearsay; it’s not quoting EU government figures, it’s quoting someone who used to have a professional relationship with some EU government figures, relating what they have said informally to him. Second of all it’s an opinion piece, which isn’t a problem in itself except the headline creates the impression of being a news item reporting facts.

It tells us that *some* people in government in European countries *think* BoJo’s approach to No Deal *might* be influenced by the US election - not what he “will” do.
Old 25-10-2020, 13:26   #4355
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

In fairness I'm just offering an opinion and even if the UK were taking this stance they'd never admit it openly.

Proof will be in the pudding once we have President-elect Boden and a Democratic Senate.
Old 25-10-2020, 13:32   #4356
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I'd been sceptical of this theory but the current FT lead headline reads "Concerns grow inside Downing Street as polls point to Biden victory".
Old 25-10-2020, 13:39   #4357
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I'd been sceptical of this theory but the current FT lead headline reads "Concerns grow inside Downing Street as polls point to Biden victory".
I think it's quite obvious really. Trump and the whole Make America Great Again mantra drives trade war after trade war. Brexit is an easy way to destabilise the EU, with the added bonus of scraping up some wins for US businesses in the UK.

A Biden administration would see a strong EU as an important counterweight to Russian influence in Eastern Europe and be less interested in a trade war with the EU.
Old 25-10-2020, 13:48   #4358
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It looks like its going to be the highest US voter turnout for over 100 years and the early signs given over 50 million have already voted don't bode well for Donald Trump.
Old 25-10-2020, 13:58   #4359
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I think it's quite obvious really. Trump and the whole Make America Great Again mantra drives trade war after trade war. Brexit is an easy way to destabilise the EU, with the added bonus of scraping up some wins for US businesses in the UK.

A Biden administration would see a strong EU as an important counterweight to Russian influence in Eastern Europe and be less interested in a trade war with the EU.
Yes, I get Trump's and Biden's objectives but I just don't see any chance of a swift trade deal between the UK and the US even if Trump wins and has BoJo on speed-dial.
Old 25-10-2020, 15:24   #4360
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Yes, I get Trump's and Biden's objectives but I just don't see any chance of a swift trade deal between the UK and the US even if Trump wins and has BoJo on speed-dial.
In some respects for the Trump’s US it doesn’t matter if there is one - their overarching aims are met as long as Boris believes it’s on the horizon and the USA can spin out negotiations as long as it pleases knowing there is no UK/EU deal.

The USA will be able to pick off some trade under WTO rules.
Old 25-10-2020, 15:44   #4361
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

We already trade with the US on WTO terms. I can't see the big deal here for us plus, as others have said, getting one is not likely to be quicke unless we cave.

Remember also that Boris has a cabinet, MPs and a party to convince, never mind the country.

I've no idea whether or not Boris is being wisely advised, but the country will be very angry if the EU talks fail because of Boris wants to know the US election result first. I'd forecast that his position would become rapidly untenable.

I believe we are at the point now where only demonstrable EU intransigence can lead to an "acceptable" failure of talks.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 25-10-2020, 15:49   #4362
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
We already trade with the US on WTO terms. I can't see the big deal here for us plus, as others have said, getting one is not likely to be quicke unless we cave.

Remember also that Boris has a cabinet, MPs and a party to convince, never mind the country.

I've no idea whether or not Boris is being wisely advised, but the country will be very angry if the EU talks fail because of Boris wants to know the US election result first. I'd forecast that his position would become rapidly untenable.

I believe we are at the point now where only demonstrable EU intransigence can lead to an "acceptable" failure of talks.

Nobody ever needs to know why EU trade talks weren't concluded before the US election though - one way or the other. EU talks always go to the 11th hour and there's the minor issue of the deteriorating global pandemic.

There's easily enough cover for a wait and see approach, and Boris can 100% deny it ever to be the case.
Old 25-10-2020, 15:53   #4363
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Nobody ever needs to know why EU trade talks weren't concluded before the US election though - one way or the other. EU talks always go to the 11th hour and there's the minor issue of the deteriorating global pandemic.

There's easily enough cover for a wait and see approach, and Boris can 100% deny it ever to be the case.
... but Boris needs the sceptical public to be onside and he's not really well respected, I sense.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 25-10-2020, 16:54   #4364
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
It looks like its going to be the highest US voter turnout for over 100 years and the early signs given over 50 million have already voted don't bode well for Donald Trump.
Unless they’re voting for him?
Old 25-10-2020, 17:43   #4365
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Unless they’re voting for him?
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...-states-431363
Quote:
Democrats have opened up a yawning gap in early voting over Republicans in six of the most crucial battleground states — but that only begins to tell the story of their advantage heading into Election Day.

In a more worrisome sign for Republicans, Democrats are also turning out more low-frequency and newly registered voters than the GOP, according to internal data shared with POLITICO by Hawkfish, a new Democratic research firm, which was reviewed by Republicans and independent experts.

The turnout data does not mean Donald Trump will lose to Joe Biden. Both sides are bracing for a close race and a giant wave of Republicans to vote in person on Nov. 3. Yet the turnout disparity with new and less-reliable voters has forced Republican political operatives to take notice.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread