Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 773 million e-mail addresses exposed, check yours!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

773 million e-mail addresses exposed, check yours!

Old 18-01-2019, 00:19   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Exclamation 773 million e-mail addresses exposed, check yours!

773 million e-mail addresses have been exposed in one of the biggest known data leaks yet.

It is extremely likely that atleast 1 of your emails is on the list if you have alot of sites you log in to!

4 of my emails have flagged up, so I will be changing passwords, check yours from a link on Neowin.

https://www.neowin.net/news/773-mill...data-leaks-yet
Old 18-01-2019, 15:22   #2
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: 773 million e-mail addresses exposed, check yours!

The two addys I use are clean. smartass.gif
Old 18-01-2019, 15:38   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The two addys I use are clean. Attachment 27700

All mine are clean except my two ntlworld ones
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 15:54   #4
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

How old the list, not every email has passwords.

Some addresses are defunct so it shows a problem on a site that no longer exists.
Old 18-01-2019, 16:46   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It doesn't tell us which email and which site does it?

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
The two addys I use are clean. Attachment 27700
You only have 2?, I have 2 ntl world which I think 1 is used for myvm but not sure if I have used in another places as so old.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

I use lastpass which helps, I think I will pay for 2 factor log in.
Old 18-01-2019, 22:43   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

It's actually 2.2 billion, not 773 Million. Troy (and thus the other media sites) just doesn't know or have the other 4 collections that were alongside collection 1.

While 2 factor logins is better than no 2FA, it's far from perfect. There are some mobile tricks to get peoples 2FA SMS messages and there are also some phishing tricks which have recently been made extremely simple that can be used to trick people in to authenticating with 2FA but you take over their session. https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-to...at-bypass-2fa/
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 08:46   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from SnoopZ:

You only have 2?, I have 2 ntl world which I think 1 is used for myvm but not sure if I have used in another places as so old.
I have several others but only two that are used with (some) logins.
Old 19-01-2019, 11:11   #8
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I have several others but only two that are used with (some) logins.
Try them all see what happens.

All my passwords will be changed to jiberish lastpass ones and I may pay for 2fa with it, also wondering whether I should have some security software on Android devices.
Old 01-02-2019, 20:08   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

The leak is now bigger than originally thought with 2.2 billion emails exposed.

Use the link below to check your emails, it will tell you which site and what year along with possible other details.

For me Dropbox and avast! Is a common leak that has affected my accounts this is why I am moving everything over to lastpass and changing all passwords, this site helps with that.

https://sec.hpi.de/ilc/search?

Last edited by SnoopZ; 01-02-2019 at 20:22.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 20:40   #10
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

So if I enter my email address into that site, will it then be 2.2billion and one?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 21:13   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
So if I enter my email address into that site, will it then be 2.2billion and one?
Very good point Taf !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 22:17   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
No.
Old 01-02-2019, 22:26   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

This is what to expect if you enter your email, it sends you an email to tell you what is affected or not, this is my worsted one.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg leak.png.jpg (65.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-02-2019, 22:53   #14
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
This is what to expect if you enter your email, it sends you an email to tell you what is affected or not, this is my worsted one.

How do you get that screen snoopz ? never seen that amount of information provided when I follow the haveibeenpwned link in the e-mail they send.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 23:03   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I got this link https://sec.hpi.de/ilc/search? from this site https://www.consumerreports.org/digi...urface-online/

I entered the email i wanted to check and it emails you that chart, probably best to read some of the second link if you're suspicious of the first link, i got the link from the spam thread on CF.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 01-02-2019 at 23:06.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote