Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

Old 13-09-2018, 13:41   #46
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Best Router to Use with Home Hub 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
So, as an example, atm you are using vm's dns servers and if you go to a command prompt (windows key, cmd, enter) and type "nslookup" and hit enter you'll see the ip address of vm's dns server you are currently using. When you override that on your router when all the clients on your network retrieve their configuration information from your router by dhcp they'll get an ip address, the default gateway (the lan address of your router) and whatever dns server you specify and that will apply to all your pc's, tablets, phones, TV's etc so it is well worth doing. This is what happens when you change it so you know it is working properly.

A small word of caution. The General is absolutely correct in what he says about the benefits and ease of changing DNS to a better server than VM offer. However, when you use the 'nslookup' command on your PC, you might not get a confirmation that you are now using the 8.8.8.8 IP, for example. What you may get is something like this:

Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

This is, of course, the default IP for your router that all your devices use as a gateway.

This does not mean that you aren't using your chosen DNS server, its just that your device isn't registering it.

Last edited by roughbeast; 13-09-2018 at 13:52.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2018, 21:26   #47
jay152
Inactive

jay152 is on a distinguished roadjay152 is on a distinguished road

Thanks roughbeast
jay152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 21:35   #48
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
What you may get is something like this:

why? you are querying the dns server and not the default gateway. I have never heard of that happening.

Another way to check then which is a more bloviated way of doing it is this way:

You don't need to get your nickers in a twist over it, both methods are diagnostic tools which you'll probably never have to use. The only time you would want to check/confirm which dns server you are using is if you start having problems or error messages pop up, you have checked the router config and you want to make sure your client is receiving the correct info via dhcp. If there is an issue with the dns server you can then change it to an alternate on the router to bypass the problem. The problem is though, and the whole point of this discussion anyway, is that you cant do it on the shub and although you can do it on proper routers, if you use a proper dns server like google's to start off with you should never have to change it because it never breaks. I only showed you how to do just so you know there is a way of checking it rather than just closing your eyes and keeping your fingers crossed that it is magically working.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 11:18   #49
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
why? you are querying the dns server and not the default gateway. I have never heard of that happening......... I only showed you how to do just so you know there is a way of checking it rather than just closing your eyes and keeping your fingers crossed that it is magically working.
It surprised me too, but that is the result I consistently get with the nslookup command.

I checked this out and found someone else querying that result. https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2716336

It's no problem. I never usually look up my dns either. I just wanted Jay to know that he might not get confirmation of his new dns through nslookup.

ipconfig /all gets the same result

Last edited by roughbeast; 15-09-2018 at 11:27.
Old 15-09-2018, 12:53   #50
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I understand, just another awesome feature of Asus router's which I didn't know about.

Just so everyone understands, the router acts as a dns cache server and caches dns queries so if another devices on the lan went to www.bbc.co.uk, when you want to go to it as well the router doesn't have to fire off a request over the internet to the dns server to look up the ip address because it already knows what the address is and thus the whole process is sped up. Sweeeeeeet
Old 15-09-2018, 16:21   #51
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I understand, just another awesome feature of Asus router's which I didn't know about.

Just so everyone understands, the router acts as a dns cache server and caches dns queries so if another devices on the lan went to www.bbc.co.uk, when you want to go to it as well the router doesn't have to fire off a request over the internet to the dns server to look up the ip address because it already knows what the address is and thus the whole process is sped up. Sweeeeeeet

Brilliant isn't it? I'm learning all the time and I've had this router for a year now.
Old 17-09-2018, 14:31   #52
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

Yup, I think quite a lot of routers do this these days but it's certainly a great feature.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 00:52   #53
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
I don't believe this but after many years my Asus RT-N66U has died.

So no home automation or Alexa.

Reading this I'm looking at the Asus RT-AC88U to replace it.

---------- Post added at 23:52 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

Just had a idea I turned off the router via it's power switch and it turned off but the switch wont go back on
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 09:10   #54
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Reading this I'm looking at the Asus RT-AC88U to replace it
Old 18-09-2018, 20:08   #55
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have found out the switch on my RT-N66U is busted, but a bit of card a duct tape has solved it.

But I will replace it with the RT-AC66U.

I'll see if my brother in-law can fix it then he can have it.
Old 18-09-2018, 20:29   #56
General Maximus
Ran Away

Sometimes it is nice just to have the updated technology with the better wifi and wan to lan throughput
Old 18-09-2018, 20:39   #57
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

The spring in the routher is stronger than bloody duct tape.

Just had to near wrap the dam thing, in it
Old 18-09-2018, 23:27   #58
copernob
cf.addict

copernob is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to buy the Asus RT-AC68U this week. My Shrub3 is dropping Wi-Fi like dead flys for some reason..Been good until 2 months ago. Got my TP-Link power plugs attached to it but it's dropping out all the time throughout the house. Even 6 inches away from it. Even my Epson Printer drops Wi-Fi n its less than 6ft away...Not sure if it is Virgins fault, Router fault or TP-Link fault. Done my head in lol.. Good Info in here, but whether I can follow it remains to be seen lol. Cheers..
copernob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:51   #59
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by copernob View Post
I'm going to buy the Asus RT-AC68U this week. My Shrub3 is dropping Wi-Fi like dead flys for some reason..Been good until 2 months ago. Got my TP-Link power plugs attached to it but it's dropping out all the time throughout the house. Even 6 inches away from it. Even my Epson Printer drops Wi-Fi n its less than 6ft away...Not sure if it is Virgins fault, Router fault or TP-Link fault. Done my head in lol.. Good Info in here, but whether I can follow it remains to be seen lol. Cheers..
All you need to do is ask here again.

Setting up the AC68U and AC88U for ordinary everyday functioning is really easy. Use the quick internet set up. You can do the trickier operations at your leisure later, according to your needs.
Old 19-09-2018, 10:07   #60
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Use the quick internet set up.
what does it do? I plugged mine in, typed in the ip address for the gui and configured everything myself, it isn't hard.