Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 12-06-2010, 09:06   #106
cedarwood
Inactive

cedarwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

I bought a HD sat kit from B&Q the other day and could not get it to work. Then on here I see there's been a few people in this thread having problems with the same things. So here's my ten penny worth. Tried setting up without a sat finder, using the settings from dishpointer.com and a compass - waste of time! Did notice that I got a "tingle" from the aerial though and thought that was odd. Also noticed that the receiver box had a misaligned or badly fixed panel so took it back to B&Q who changed everything except the wall brackets. Tried to set up again, this time with a borrowed satellite finder. Got power up to 99% but 0 on quality. Called in a knowledgeable neighbour who first discovered that the aerial provided had not had the ends put on properly. (had still been getting a "tingle") He set up the dish with the finder and still no joy. However on touching the switch on the receiver box you got a "tingle" again. (Why is that?) Eventually realised the switch on the box was dicky as it worked when you gave it a sharp tap (sometimes) In the end we connected the neighbours receiver box to our set up and got a perfect picture. So back to B&Q again for the third box - wish I had bought one somewhere else now!
cedarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2010, 20:59   #107
cedarwood
Inactive

cedarwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Yippee - third time lucky! Plugged in the new box and it all worked OK. The good folks at B&Q said they'd not had any others back. Hmmmmm.
cedarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 05:28   #108
trev4521
Inactive

trev4521 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile B&Q Satellite - And hiya to kymmy

kymmy,
I am in the process of buying a HD box(b&Q) 20% discount as my beloved works there, anyway love the advice that has been given to others on the forum, but do you think that it is good buy? ( i know that you cannot say the obvious? but some points will do, and will this pick up the German Channels as these televise our premier teame (backdoor method)
Thanks
Trev4521
trev4521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 09:49   #109
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Yes they do televise the premier games but they are still encrypted so backdoor method not work unless you have a card...

This sat will do for any of the sats within range of the UK using a 80cm dish. So yes you can pick up Intelsat, Eutelsat, hotbird, Astra 1 & 2..etc.. The one you're looking at also does HD so it's an added bonus with more and more HD channels arriving in every country.. BUT it is cheap and hence won;t have as many feautures as some recievers, but in the end it does what it says on the box and if you get it set up correctly will perform just as well as £200 recievers just without the bells and whistles
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 20:06   #110
trev4521
Inactive

thanks for that info, what is the difference between the Freesat & Freeview as my LCD/DVD/Tv has got freeview inbuilt, will these channels be lost when hooking up to a another satellite dish,(i already have one not used) waht was supplied by Sky years ago, will have to take that one down or can i re-use it with the Ross receiver?
Old 21-06-2010, 20:44   #111
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Freeview uses a traditional rooftop aerial and relies on traditional terrestrial broadcast signals, except the channels carried on those signals are encoded in a digital rather than in an analogue fashion. Freeview is what you will be left with after 'digital switchover' is complete in your area. Almost all TVs now sold in the UK have a Freeview tuner alongside the old-fashioned analogue tuner.

Freesat is the BBC and ITV's solution to the problem that Freeview digital terrestrial TV will never reach 100% of UK households (in fact it will never reach as many households as the analogue service it is replacing). It broadcasts via satellite and requires a satellite dish. An old Sky dish will do just fine. Very few TVs have a Freesat tuner built in, and so will require a DVB-S set-top box. If you use a Freesat-branded set-top box, you get the Freesat EPG (electronic programme guide) and additional services such as the BBC iPlayer (on some set-top boxes, but not all of them at present). If you use a non-Freesat, free-to-air satellite set-top-box, such as the Ross equipment sold by B&Q, then you will have access to the same channels as Freesat but not the bells and whistles. The Ross box should work just fine with your old Sky dish.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 20:57   #112
trev4521
Inactive

Smile Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Thank you for that information.
Old 21-06-2010, 22:32   #113
maffa_82
Inactive

maffa_82 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys, just bought a ross hd satalit kit from b&q gonna fit it together 2morro but was wunderin if i can play films from a usb stick and if so what format do i have to use, e.g .avi .mp4 etc?
maffa_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 16:03   #114
trev4521
Inactive

How did you get on with it?
Old 22-06-2010, 16:18   #115
maffa_82
Inactive

maffa_82 is an unknown quantity at this point

still not had chance get it up yet but found out i got to convert video files to .ts mpeg2 b4 it will play from a usb memory stick
maffa_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2010, 17:34   #116
trev4521
Inactive

Smile Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Hi,
I have purchased a Ross Satellite baox from B&Q today, (batteries 2xaaa NOT included) and hooked it up to my Sky Sat Dish (not been used for years) and switched the box on Hey presto everything came up no configuring. i have not noticed what channels are not installed yet!
Old 13-07-2010, 21:25   #117
norf
Inactive

norf is an unknown quantity at this point

hello everyone!
sorry to drag up an old thread but i got one of these kits sunday, dish was built and fixed on the day but the father in law had to get off with his ladders so had no time to position correctly. had him round for an hour tonight, i was on the roof and with the aid of a signal meter i got 66% on the quality, so tightened every thing up, got back into the house and the only channels i can get are german! i assume i'm on the wrong satellite, but so as i know which way to start moving could some one let me know if im close and which way to start moving???
norf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2010, 21:31   #118
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You're probably on 19.2E you need to go about 2 (maybe three) sats to the left and maybe extremely slightly down (curvature of the earth)

Lyngsat.com should help you with identifying the sat you have via the freq/vid
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2010, 10:45   #119
norf
Inactive

thanks, i'll be trying later
Old 14-07-2010, 20:37   #120
norf
Inactive

a very minor adjustment and 5 mins later it works a treat, thanks very much for the help