Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] BB Speed Upgrades
View Poll Results: Have you been upgraded ?
Yes 59 86.76%
No, not yet 9 13.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-07-2004, 00:57   #361
Gaargh
Inactive

Gaargh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Just a thought and I hope I do not get flamed,
but I think it is a valid point could not all the 150/600k users get upgraded
straight away,after all it is less than 1 meg after all.
I know all the people paying for the 1 meg service wouldn't be happy,
I just wondered if it would be possible.
Gaz.
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2004, 01:11   #362
peacedude2k4

Why wont us 1mb customers be happy we are getting the stated upgrade ??

Sure taking a while longer but i bet NTL have alot more customers on 150/600k then on 1mb also them services would require less power to get going no doubt they are still working on 1mb,

Also off topic i know but are 1mb keeping there admit cable modems or are we updating them???

Old 31-07-2004, 01:27   #363
Gaargh
Inactive

What I meant was you could upgrade the lower tiers straight away,
after all the network is capable of 1meg speeds.BTW I have only been on bb a week so excuse me if I do not know what I am talking about.
Ot is the top tier worth the extra?
Gaz.
Old 31-07-2004, 02:24   #364
Gaargh
Inactive

Quick update I upgraded to 1mb while on 60 day free,does anyone know if my free trial still continues?
Anyway it said I would be charged at £35 a month.
Gaz.
Old 31-07-2004, 07:05   #365
th'engineer
Inactive

Services: up to 30 MEG CF version of Peter Kay
th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to th'engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaargh
Quick update I upgraded to 1mb while on 60 day free,does anyone know if my free trial still continues?
Anyway it said I would be charged at £35 a month.
Gaz.
Knowing NTL you will probably be charged BTW welcome to the forum.

As you are new to broadband you do know that NTL have a guideline on the amount you can download in a day and on 1 meg you can easily reach this limit.
Old 31-07-2004, 09:12   #366
BBKing
R.I.P.

Services: 20Mb VM CM, Virgin TV
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
Send a message via ICQ to BBKing

Quote:
is the 75% done by 2nd august confirmed by ntl?
No, because it's not true.
Old 31-07-2004, 09:25   #367
th'engineer
Inactive

th'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to allth'engineer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing
No, because it's not true.
Whats the truth then
Old 31-07-2004, 09:50   #368
BBKing
R.I.P.

BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star
BBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny starBBKing has a nice shiny star

A secret, but think about it - 1.2m bb customers, 75% is 900,000, before the 2nd August is today and tomorrow. Reboot an average of 450,000 devices a day at a weekend when the call centres have fewer people and most of us techies are at home...sound unlikely?
Old 31-07-2004, 09:57   #369
th'engineer
Inactive

Talking Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
A secret, but think about it - 1.2m bb customers, 75% is 900,000, before the 2nd August is today and tomorrow. Reboot an average of 450,000 devices a day at a weekend when the call centres have fewer people and most of us techies are at home...sound unlikely?
Not for NTL
Old 31-07-2004, 10:02   #370
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Quote:
It does sound unlikely, but so does having most of your call centre staff and techies at home when most of your customers are at home and likely want to call in or have an engineer visit, but that is what NTL do. Perhaps it would have been better to do a lot over the weekend and roster staff on accordingly. If only done on a weekday just think of all the calls that will come in after people finish work / college / school and find a problem. But really, would you anticipate that the speed upgradeswould cause problems for customers and if so, what sort of problems?
Old 31-07-2004, 10:07   #371
th'engineer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
It does sound unlikely, but so does having most of your call centre staff and techies at home when most of your customers are at home and likely want to call in or have an engineer visit, but that is what NTL do. Perhaps it would have been better to do a lot over the weekend and roster staff on accordingly. If only done on a weekday just think of all the calls that will come in after people finish work / college / school and find a problem. But really, would you anticipate that the speed upgradeswould cause problems for customers and if so, what sort of problems?
We are talking NTL
Old 31-07-2004, 10:11   #372
BBKing
R.I.P.

Quote:
But really, would you anticipate that the speed upgradeswould cause problems for customers and if so, what sort of problems?
No, but when you're rebooting lots of devices at the same time and there's even a 0.001% chance that some don't come back (due to approaching failure triggered by a reboot) then you'll get a spike in the graph of people phoning in. Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.

ianathuth - some of us like our weekends. We have 24/7 manned monitoring centres with guys on shift, but us back-end techies don't work shifts - the number of times per year this would actually be useful is outweighed by the number of times a year it's useful for us to be in the office 9-5 as that's when meetings happen and things get planned. No point calling a conference call for 2am.
Old 31-07-2004, 10:13   #373
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
So there isnt a big button labled "Kill them" then? shame, also, If NTL keep on being secretive, Im going to go into Tory mode (EEK) and demand a full public enquiry into NTL, (Ill find a reason / excuse later)
Old 31-07-2004, 10:16   #374
th'engineer
Inactive

Quote:
Timing this for when you don't have people ready to take it would be stupid, and, despite popular belief, we're not that stupid.
Quite agree but are you speaking for all if someone said it has to be done it would happen. Even with your concerns

I know when mines being upgraded last one
Old 31-07-2004, 10:27   #375
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm1
Instead of testing your bandwidth on SACM, just type 192.168.100.1 in to IE or Firefox or whatever, log in using root as username and password, click on "Operation Configuration" and look at your settings.
doesn't work for me.