Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 20-09-2013, 22:09   #31
Osem
Expose lies & hypocrisy

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Can you pop around here when you have a mo?....

Same old lies, same old Labour.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2013, 13:53   #32
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 70M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars

One of the side gates down at my mothers: Needed some rot cut out and a new bottom panel made up so I did a slight redesign to split the single tongue and groove panel into two fields of five boards with a stronger strut down the centre. Lots of work for the router and mitre saw. The timber is now cut and trial fitted. Just need to saturate everything with preservative before final assembly and painting.

Other gate's not so bad, got open in a strong wind and split the outer wood near the jamb so's a quick fix.
Old 01-10-2013, 13:16   #33
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 70M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars

Fingers crossed I've fixed the missing RAM problem on my Sony VAIO lappy:

Did some tests to confirm that it was the second slot being faulty rather than the RAM module itself. I did some searches on the net and there seemed to be an issue with the soldering of the socket in the second slot on the whole VAIO family but particularly my one (FX101), and after close examination mine also had very bad soldering of that socket, plus the actual socket looks cheaper than the main one.

I checked out the connections on the top with a continuity tester and they were OK so I resoldered the lower bank of connections (I have a very fine bit on the iron for surface mount work). Looks so much better than they were.

And I now seem to have the second bank of RAM back.
Old 03-10-2013, 16:43   #34
Osem
Expose lies & hypocrisy

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Well done that man! I really should learn how to do some of this tecchie stuff.

Old 03-10-2013, 16:44   #35
tizmeinnit

fixed up my old weight bench
Old 03-10-2013, 17:43   #36
Jimmy-J
-?-

Jimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appeal
Jimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appeal

I'm going to have a go at fixing a PS3 wireless controller and also try to replace my smashed Note 2 screen. I'll be back!!

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 17:53   #37
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
I'm going to have a go at fixing a PS3 wireless controller and also try to replace my smashed Note 2 screen. I'll be back!!
Half the battle is working out how to get these things apart without doing more damage. I also have a complete set of security bits for undoing those pesky screws that they don't want you to.
Old 04-10-2013, 00:29   #38
Jimmy-J
-?-

Jimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appealJimmy-J has a bronzed appeal

I've done quite a bit of online research for help in repairing the Note 2 screen... Mainly Youtube.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:02   #39
tizmeinnit

have you seen all these where if you are not replacing the whole lcd and digitiser unit you have to heat the screen to melt the glue and then glue the new one back?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:34   #40
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
have you seen all these where if you are not replacing the whole lcd and digitiser unit you have to heat the screen to melt the glue and then glue the new one back?
Watch out for the heat seal type of LCD connector Third example here This is very common on graphic display LCD.

Without special kit it's unlikely that you can repair the actual heat seal connector strip if this has failed or come away from the LCD glass or PCB. Many use a special kind of thermoplastic glue that conducts when compressed but only vertically to complete the circuit.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:26   #41
Jimmy-J
-?-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
Yeah, that's what I've had to do. It all seems to be working fine now, and the fault with the PS3 controller was down to the battery, it was knackered. I knew as soon as I seen it, it was bloated, like it was ready to explode.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:10   #42
alanbjames
cf.mega poster

Services: XL Phone, XXL 350mb BB SH3 (wired).
alanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant futurealanbjames has a brilliant future

managed to get my wireless printer reset up and it was a pain in the rear!
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:25   #43
richard s
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Unhappy Re: What have you fixed lately?

Changing a split CV gaiter on the car tomorrow.. putting new dampers in while halve of the McPherson strut is dismantled.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:38   #44
solitaire
cf.addict

solitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the rough

Had an annoying problem with intermittent crashes on my desktop PC. I tried taking it apart, giving it a good clean out, renewed the memory but with no change. Whilst checking the software, I went into Firefox options, and on the general tab there is an option to "use hardware acceleration when available" which was checked by default. I unchecked it, then rebooted.
Since then I have had no more problems. I am not saying this could be a problem for everyone but it was for me.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:35   #45
Osem
Expose lies & hypocrisy

I just patched a nasty tear in our youngest's favourite jacket. It looks quite neat even though I say it myself and he was so happy!