Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 27-05-2008, 23:58   #7306
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post
Well, I sat behind Kent at the FIPR tenth anniversary seminar today. snip

I'll put together a report of the meeting and make it available here when I get a moment later in the week.
Thanks for going. Hope you had a shower when you got home. I'm looking forward to the report.
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2008, 00:00   #7307
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

@ Portly_Giraffe

How about "Internet Tapping", although I think "Data Pimping" is the accepted form, but perhaps not in polite circles?

As Kent holds nearly 2 million shares, he lost nearly £3 million in that 10 minutes! He should pick his investments more wisely.

Come on, admit it, were you never tempted to flick chewed up bits of paper at the back of his neck?
Old 28-05-2008, 00:03   #7308
Paul Delaney

Having missed both her TV appearances stammering her way through the legal advice / due dilligence speech I wondered what she actually looked like so I searched Google Images for "bt emma sanderson":

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Ist image up "The Wipe-O-Matic 3000" from a recent cableforum post?

We beat BT's Official PR image?

What an accolade!

Old 28-05-2008, 00:13   #7309
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post
CUT...
Interestingly he quoted examples of soundbyte phrases which had taken hold in other situations and which had been effective in stalling unwelcome innovations: "Frankenstein foods" for GM, and "Spy chips" for consumer RFID. Anyone on the Forum got good ideas for an equivalent soundbyte phrase for Phorm?

CUT...
Great idea. I'll start the ball rolling:

ISD = Inline SpyISP Device
or
SpyISP Device

Next ....?

edit ...
mark777 beat me to it :-)
Old 28-05-2008, 00:18   #7310
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
@ Portly_Giraffe

How about "Internet Tapping", although I think "Data Pimping" is the accepted form, but perhaps not in polite circles?

As Kent holds nearly 2 million shares, he lost nearly £3 million in that 10 minutes! He should pick his investments more wisely.

Come on, admit it, were you never tempted to flick chewed up bits of paper at the back of his neck?
In fact about a month ago MacUser published my letter to them on Phorm using the title I'd supplied of "Pimp my Data", but I agree it probably needs to be something politer, and maybe not so IT biased.

I was indeed in the row immediately behind Kent, about four feet to his left. And yes I was tempted. Though if you met me you'd find me far too respectable looking to believe that.
Old 28-05-2008, 02:12   #7311
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff
Just quoted parts of that letter on the ADVFN thread and I have forwarded the info on to Chris Williams too (will do the same with Charles Arthur now).

Alexander Hanff
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys
Perhaps Richard Clayton would be intersted in that EU Comm reply too.
Oh and what about sending a copy to the Gadget Show?
having re-scanned the interim PIA undertaken by 80/20, written by Simon Davies, I think perhaps a copy of the EU Comm's reply would help to correct the obvious errors in the following snippet from said interim PIA:

Quote:
Based on the information and documentation we have reviewed, we believe that Phorm Technology does not make use of personal data as defined in the UK Data Protection Act (though not necessarily the data protection or privacy Acts of all countries). However the technology may prompt wider (albeit often perception based) privacy and intrusion concerns.
The general principles of personal data are defined in Directive 95/46/EC

For the purposes of this Directive:
(a) 'personal data 'shall mean any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or to one or more factors specific to his physical, physiological, mental, economic, cultural or social identity;

I would suggest that for the purposes of Directive 95/46/EC , Phorm's UID is an identification number.
Old 28-05-2008, 04:23   #7312
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

time once again to reitorate some of the facts the new members may have lost in this thread.....

heres an overview reminder of the Data Protection Act.
-----------------------------------------------
remember people, we have this: tell your friends, use it.
“UK consumers wake up to privacy”
link: http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/pressreleases/2008/information_rights_press_ release_final1.pdf
For a copy of the ‘Data Protection Guide for Dummies’ please go to http://www.ico.gov.uk
Our data protection rights
• An organisation should tell you what it is going to do with your information before you provide any details unless this is obvious

• Your information should only be used for the reason it was collected in the first place (unless you give your consent to your information being used in other ways)

• An organisation should not collect any information which is unnecessary. You only need to provide the basic information which is required to deliver the service required

• Your information should be kept accurate and up to date – if you ask any organisation to make changes to your details, it should do this

• An organisation should not keep your details if they are no longer needed

• An organisation must provide you with copies of all information held on you - if you ask. You can also ask an organisation to stop using your personal information if it is causing you damage or distress or if you wish to stop it being used for marketing purposes.

• An organisation must keep your personal information secure at all times

• An organisation should not transfer your personal details to another country unless adequate data protection arrangements are in place.
and then it goes on to say….

David Smith said: “For any of us to have trust in an organisation we must be confident that our information is held securely and processed in line with data protection rules.

If we all regularly start to ask the right questions then organisations will respond to public demand and take the protection of our personal information more seriously.

If organisations fail to recognise the importance of data protection they not only risk losing business. They could also face action from the Information Commissioners Office.”
--------------------------------------
theres also the copyright act POV, after all you own your personal (clickstream)data, its your property, to profit from or not as you please, its not your ISPs right to pirate your property is it.

BTW,of all the current Phorm threads on the net this seems to try to collect information,storys and comment, to inform the readers, its by far the longest thread though, so you have your work cut out catching up now.

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] - Cable Forum

---------
care of the US NY times and LadyMinion at
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33628733-virgin-media-phorm-webwise-adverts-updated-page-102.html#post34510801 for first spoting it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/business/media/20adcoside.html?ref=busin ess
Quote:
” As you browse, we’re able to categorize all of your Internet actions ,” said Virasb Vahidi, the chief operating officer of Phorm. ” We actually can see the entire Internet .”

The company, called Phorm, has created a tool that can track every single online action of a given consumer, based on data from that person’s Internet service provider.”

-------
  1. If you are a customer of BT Retail (or of any other BT divisions e.g. BT Business) , Virgin Media or Carphone Warehouse Talk Talk, or any other company that thinks to profile your data for advertising , then you might like to write to them quoting the very clear The Data Protection Act 1998 section 11:
  1. 11 Right to prevent processing for purposes of direct marketing
  2. (1) An individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect of which he is the data subject.
  3. (2) If the court is satisfied, on the application of any person who has given a notice under subsection (1), that the data controller has failed to comply with the notice, the court may order him to take such steps for complying with the notice as the court thinks fit.
  4. (3) In this section "direct marketing" means the communication (by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals.
-------
on a related note , i found this ElReg News report interesting, and in support of the 'commercial Piracy for profit' i keep saying the worlds DPI interception partys are actively moving forward with.

"whats your's is mine, whats mine is my own" mentality of the ISP related companys today....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...and_copyright/
"
Failing Web 2.0 stars pray for copyright abolition

Wanted: starving artists to help out web tycoons

Page: 1 2 Next >
By Andrew OrlowskiMore by this author
Published Tuesday 27th May 2008 18:32 GMT

Remember the date - the one about an inch above the words you're reading now. 27 May 2008.

Two articles were published today of some note, and if you can put them in context, you can begin see the true, scary picture of internet economics today. The one that's usually too scary for the posh papers or broadcast media to describe....
"
Old 28-05-2008, 07:47   #7313
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
<snip>
I would suggest that for the purposes of Directive 95/46/EC , Phorm's UID is an identification number.
How ironic. If I read that correctly the Phorm UID is condsidered as PII?
Old 28-05-2008, 08:30   #7314
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Dugg
Old 28-05-2008, 08:33   #7315
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
How ironic. If I read that correctly the Phorm UID is condsidered as PII?
Its more personal even than your IP address.

UID is an abbreviation for User Identifier (in Phorm's own terms).

Its obviously a personal identifier. Why the ICO can't see this I don't know. Its either because they are very stupid, or simply can't understand what Phorm are doing.

I sympathise. I too have perception problems. I can't see the difference between ICO and a chocolate fireguard, an ashtray on a motorbike, and a one legged man at an arse kicking contest.
Old 28-05-2008, 08:34   #7316
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post

or
SpyISP Device

Next ....?

edit ...
How about Privacy Leech?

Or Parasiteware?
Old 28-05-2008, 08:48   #7317
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by warescouse View Post

or
SpyISP Device

Next ....?

edit ...
I'd suggest we need to identify the key facts that the phrase needs to convey:

I think ISP needs to be in there somewhere - to make it clear that it is individual ISP's doing it and suggest that switching gets away from the problem.

"Data" - I don't think that helps as it's a bit too nebulous - it's the fact that every page visited is being tracked is the issue rather than what data is collected as a result of the tracking

I wonder if linking in to a phrase people already recognise would work - something like "Big Brother ISPs"? That could link on to other headlines such as "Big Brother ISP's are watching YOU".

We've got to grab peoples attention and make them worried.

Edit: We've also got to steer clear of anything that means zilch to people without some IT knowledge - this needs to be aimed at he Sun reader.
Old 28-05-2008, 08:52   #7318
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

ISPy?
Old 28-05-2008, 08:55   #7319
jelv
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
ISPy?
Clever!

Edit: Does ISPies work better or worse?
Old 28-05-2008, 08:59   #7320
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...and_copyright/
"
Failing Web 2.0 stars pray for copyright abolition

Wanted: starving artists to help out web tycoons
Thanks for that link Popper. Copyright is something I've been following with interest.

The power to enforce copyright is not in the hands of a corrupt government/lazy police/idiotic regulators... its in the hands of the people who own the content.

The unfortunate thing for ISPs, they can't pull the wool over the eyes of the people who's creative work is being stolen to make this scam work.

Pete.

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelv View Post
Clever!
I think we need to avoid getting too clever here.

Parasitic spyware is something Joe Bloggs understands. If you get too creative, he'll get confused.
Closed Thread