Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

Old 13-06-2008, 23:42   #31
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society
Re: The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

The council give permission for all civils - They do not need to consult HO's although I think they do if locating a bus stop.

The network was built almost a decade ago!

Note: My 1000th post!
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2008, 23:53   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulukimmi View Post
I understand all that has been said- but who gave the permission in the first place for these boxes (2 of them) to be placed right outside my house rather than the green space just across the road - literally? Surely householders close to the anticipated placement should have been informed of their pending arrival. It cannot be normal practice for any kind of street furtnire just to be plonked in a place and accepted by residents no matter what it is.
Were you the householder when the cabinets were placed there? Did you raise any objections to the placement if you were?
Old 13-06-2008, 23:55   #33
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

OP PM'd me I asked that, they were there before the build apparently. Cab was there when got home one evening.
WHISTLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 23:59   #34
homealone

Quote:
I understand all that has been said- but who gave the permission in the first place for these boxes (2 of them) to be placed right outside my house rather than the green space just across the road - literally? Surely householders close to the anticipated placement should have been informed of their pending arrival. It cannot be normal practice for any kind of street furtnire just to be plonked in a place and accepted by residents no matter what it is.
That would be in the submissions during the planning process.

Cost comparison of positioning junction boxes in line with footpaths versus the extra hassle of crossing a road - e.g. managing traffic during full/partial road closure, for no technical reason, would have been a consideration.

I do seem to remember, although it was a while ago, now, getting a notification of the planned works & the procedure if I wanted to protest.

I do sympathise, as I said, but the problem is to change the perception of the cool place to gather, in my opinion - the seat mentioned earlier is a good idea to try
Old 14-06-2008, 00:08   #35
lulukimmi
Inactive

lulukimmi is on a distinguished roadlulukimmi is on a distinguished road

Benmcr - I can't remember exactly when they appeared but there was no discussion/ notification that they were ever going to be there - as I said - came home one day and there they were, right outside my house about 6 mtrs from my living room. I admit at first I didn't think anything about it until about a month or so later when I noticed that having my windows open I was hearing voices so loud I was becoming part of the 'conversation'. From that day til today I cannot have windows open at the front of my house as whenever the 'kids are perching' I have no choise but to listen to their nonsensical chatter and yelling, shouting, kicking of the boxes etc. - There is nothing anyone can say that makes it OK for this situation to continue. If VM can't / won't do anything about this, I will take it further.
lulukimmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 00:13   #36
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If VM can't / won't do anything about this, I will take it further.
Which would involve either speaking to the police or the council, both of which people have already suggested you do.

If other neighbours are also affected, maybe you can get the council to pay to get it moved? Or get them to issues ASBOs? IF the damage is criminal to either Virgin property or your own, surely the police would do something?
Old 14-06-2008, 00:22   #37
lulukimmi
Inactive

Both Police and Council are involved already - kids that I know are 'going to be spoken to' but i have no idea who some of them are - hopefully the chicken pellet appllication will deter them - and with any luck the kids will have to fnd somewhere else to have their cheap night out!!!
Old 14-06-2008, 03:10   #38
frogstamper
Inactive

Services: VIP
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

If these kids are being a real nuisance lulukimmi, why not invest in one of these high pitched noise makers? Its called the mosquito and emits a high pitched sound only teenagers can hear, in experiments most kids could only stand the noise for a few minutes, and best of all people over 25 can't hear it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/conte..._feature.shtml
frogstamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 03:36   #39
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

The kids that you do know, have you tried speaking to them yourself, telling them you find the noise really disruptive?
Or have you gone out shouting like Victor Meldrew giving them hassle?
If it's the latter and I was one of the children I'd be there every night just to wind you up.
You say that council are involved, in what way?
By trying to issue ASBOs or by trying to find somewhere else for them to congregate, like a community centre run by people with a genuine interest in kids and keeping them off the streets.
Adults very quickly forget what it's like to be a child or a teenager.
Adults with grown up angelic children forget even faster.
I speak as a mother of four energetic, loud confident daughters who have a healthy respect for their neighbourhood and for adults who don't shout abuse at them for being children and making noise as children do.
Have you tried speaking to the parents?
Any adult who comes to me and has a complaint about any of my kids is taken seriously.
I don't believe for a minute my children are angels, but it makes a difference whether the adult is calm, clear and concise, or ranting and raving like a loony escaped from the nuthouse.
There's also the kids who know 9/10 times I'll believe the adult and they're then in trouble.

Sorry for the long post but if these kids are drinking, having sex, using drugs or vandalising your area or property which is happening in a lot of places, then fair enough I see your point.
But if they're just being children making children noise leave them alone or move into a retirement home with a warden.
Or better yet help the council to start something up that will keep these children off the street in the evenings.

Mags
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 09:53   #40
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Exclamation Re: The Virgin Media cabinets in the street

We have had this problem in this area before and we have put pointed tops on the boxes so the kids can not sit on them .One customer decided to smear oil and paint on one box and was told by the poilce and council to clean it up as the techs kept getting it on our selfs .If you do this the right way VM will do something about it but moving the cab is the very last option and its the councils say .It could be yes it has to be moved and we have to do it at our cost or yes it can be moved but you have to pay .Most of the time its the second one as VM would appeal and yes i have seen this done and they won .When a the network is at planning stage the council would but out a notice the houses near where the box s to be put if there are no objections then we can put the box there .It is the councils doing as we had a number of these rejected when the network was built .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 09:59   #41
lulukimmi
Inactive

I have spoken to the parents of the kids that I know in a calm and reasonable manner and have been told by them that they 'will speak to the kids'. They do stay away for one or two nights but do come back. These are not little kids they are between 14-19. I do remember being their age and I would never even consider hanging around in the street. If they were to behave in a quiet manner I would have nothing to complain about. However when you hear the screeching these kids emit together with the kicking of these boxes hour after hour, you would complain too.
Old 14-06-2008, 09:59   #42
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogstamper View Post
If these kids are being a real nuisance lulukimmi, why not invest in one of these high pitched noise makers? Its called the mosquito and emits a high pitched sound only teenagers can hear, in experiments most kids could only stand the noise for a few minutes, and best of all people over 25 can't hear it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/conte..._feature.shtml
I have a big problem with that thing though. It targets everyone under 25, not just those causing trouble. So a mother with their 3 year old walking by would have their toddler affected

If the device was aimed at people in their 30's rather than young people, everyone would be up in arms.

And when you come up with reasons for it, try do the same arguments against any other minority and you soon see how discriminatory it is
Old 14-06-2008, 14:14   #43
frogstamper
Inactive

frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze
frogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronzefrogstamper is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I have a big problem with that thing though. It targets everyone under 25, not just those causing trouble. So a mother with their 3 year old walking by would have their toddler affected

If the device was aimed at people in their 30's rather than young people, everyone would be up in arms.

And when you come up with reasons for it, try do the same arguments against any other minority and you soon see how discriminatory it is
Ben I know this option is far from ideal, but if the OPs home life is being made a misery, and the police are failing to act, I feel he has every right to do what he can that's legal to enjoy his home life in peace. As regards this device affecting say normal passers by, I'm not suggesting for him to leave it on permanently, just put it on when all else fails.
Old 14-06-2008, 14:37   #44
indie1982
Inactive

Services: M Phone, XL BB, XL TV and 2 SA V+
indie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enoughindie1982 will become famous soon enough

There's no way you could leave it on all day, it's not like when someone hits their 25th birthday they suddenly can't hear the noise. I'm 26 and can hear them, my 29 year old brother can also hear them. Pretty annoying.
indie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 14:46   #45
frogstamper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by indie1982 View Post
There's no way you could leave it on all day, it's not like when someone hits their 25th birthday they suddenly can't hear the noise. I'm 26 and can hear them, my 29 year old brother can also hear them. Pretty annoying.
Do they work indie?