Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | RAF tests synthetic fuel.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Asteroid, over a kilometre wide, will be soaring past the Earth tonight.

Old 18-01-2022, 22:17   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Asteroid, over a kilometre wide, will be soaring past the Earth tonight.

An asteroid is set to pass Earth at around 8pm - 10pm tonight. At a distance of around 1 million miles and scientists say it will be its closest approach for the next 200 years. It's not going to be visible with the naked eye but can be followed using the following link.

Quote:
The small world's closest approach will be at 4:51 p.m. EST (2151 GMT), according to a table from the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS), managed by NASA at the agency's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California. The distance is quite safe, as the 3,400-foot (1-kilometer) asteroid will get no closer than 5 lunar distances during its closest approach, NASA says. The average distance from Earth to the moon, 1 lunar distance, is about 238,855 miles (384,400 km).
https://www.space.com/huge-asteroid-...-flyby-webcast

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

This is like watching paint dry.

The only thing keeping me watching is the doom merchant posters who insist the world will be destroyed and we will not survive the impact from the asteroid as it gets drawn into us following some massive miscalculation in it's predicted trajectory.

Goodbye world!

Last edited by joglynne; 18-01-2022 at 20:48. Reason: correcting times
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2022, 22:27   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: Asteroid, over a kilometre wide, will be soaring past the Earth tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
An asteroid is set to pass Earth at around 8pm - 10pm tonight. At a distance of around 1 million miles and scientists say it will be its closest approach for the next 200 years. It's not going to be visible with the naked eye but can be followed using the following link.

https://www.space.com/huge-asteroid-...-flyby-webcast

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

This is like watching paint dry.

The only thing keeping me watching is the doom merchant posters who insist the world will be destroyed and we will not survive the impact from the asteroid as it gets drawn into us following some massive miscalculation in it's predicted trajectory.

Goodbye world!
It's obviously going to miss us by millions of mi_______
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2022, 23:13   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
It's obviously going to miss us by millions of mi_______
Well the live comments were well worth reading, There are some really weird people out there.

The live feed caused a lot of problems for people who wanted 'them' to zoom in so that the actual asteroid could be seem as it past through our atmosphere and they wanted to know why they couldn't see the dang thing burning up as it went past us.
Old 19-01-2022, 00:56   #4
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Apparently NASA have been tracking that one for decades. That one's nothing to worry about, it's never going to hit.
But it's not the only one of its kind out there...
Old 19-01-2022, 11:43   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The trouble is that some "Planet Killers" may only appear with short notice, and there my me SFA we can do.
Old 19-01-2022, 14:04   #6
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Apparently NASA have been tracking that one for decades. That one's nothing to worry about, it's never going to hit.
But it's not the only one of its kind out there...
I find it hard to believe Earth isn't actually hit more often. Look at the running tallies of all the close approachesthat are due during the rest of this month and during February.

Also see the one that are heading our way over the next couple of days here

Last edited by joglynne; 19-01-2022 at 14:09.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 15:39   #7
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
I find it hard to believe Earth isn't actually hit more often.
It is hit often, we just dont notice.

Quote:
Every year, the Earth is hit by about 6100 meteors large enough to reach the ground, or about 17 every day, research has revealed. The vast majority fall unnoticed, in uninhabited areas. But several times a year, a few land in places that catch more attention

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2022, 16:01   #8
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It is hit often, we just dont notice.
Agreed. I inherited a small piece of a meteorite that was found on a relatives farm land in Cumbria some years ago and that's what initially sparked my interest.

It's the ones that are as large as houses that I like to keep an eye on.