Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 16-05-2022, 17:51   #1291
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Where anyone else gets them I presume?

Sky already stream on not one but THREE platforms now, OB. Four if you include Sky Go but I don’t believe it can be purchased standalone.

Your persistence in viewing the television market through the perverse lens of competing, as opposed to complementary technologies continues to mean you reach the wrong conclusions.

As you will see I’ve linked in the other thread to satellite manufacturers are investing in building the next generation of satellites that will serve Europe to 2040 and beyond.
My point being that the most new content is heading for the streamers. People will not continue to pay for hundreds of channels that do not screen the programmes they want to watch.

Yes, Sky are now streaming on multiple platforms, and it's only a matter of time before satellite TV in this country ceases to exist.

The reason I am of the view that TV channels will cease to exist by 2035 is that nobody will be making programmes available to them, so they will be reliant on their own material. When you say 'complementary' channels, I have to say that I am not yet aware of any plans for a Netflix channel, a Disney channel, an Apple channel, etc. We will get a few FAST channels, at least in the early days but I most certainly wouldn't watch them!

Even ITV is setting up their more advanced streamer site, ITVX, which will encourage people to switch to streaming because their whole series of their original dramas will be on there first. This is much more ambitious than the ITV Hub and it is a further demonstration that broadcasters are anxious to embrace the technology and phase out the old. It makes commercial sense too, because viewers who do not wish to pay a subscription will not be able to fast forward through the adverts. Advertisers will pay more for that and ultimately will steer away from the broadcast channels.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 16-05-2022 at 17:55.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2022, 18:01   #1292
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So you were really referring to all the non-premium pay TV channels when you referred to 'minor channels'!
They’re all minor, yes. I don’t think that’s a difficult concept to understand and a customary back of a cigarette paper calculation of the amounts Sky paid out to third parties puts them all in the pennies per month per subscriber tab.

Even the Sky Basics dispute in 2007 was over 90p per subscriber per month for the highest rating non-terrestrial channels according to the BARB.

Contrary to your claim that English language general entertainment will be hard to come by it’s actually widely available from a breadth of sources. The amount of new content being made vastly outstrips what any viewer can consume in a given time period. Hence the ability of Netflix (and others) to rely upon regurgitating old Friends episodes or stuff the BBC premiered years ago as they claim an extensive back catalogue of content.

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:
My point being that the most new content is heading for the streamers. People will not continue to pay for hundreds of channels that do not screen the programmes they want to watch.
Again you portray this binary where a company with linear channels cannot stream and vice versa.

Quote:
Yes, Sky are now streaming on multiple platforms, and it's only a matter of time before satellite TV in this country ceases to exist.

The reason I am of the view that TV channels will cease to exist by 2035 is that nobody will be making programmes available to them, so they will be reliant on their own material.
They’ll go where the money is - they are not fanatical like you are about a single technology.

Quote:
When you say 'complementary' channels, I have to say that I am not yet aware of any plans for a Netflix channel, a Disney channel, an Apple channel, etc. We will get a few FAST channels, at least in the early days but I most certainly wouldn't watch them!

Even ITV is setting up their more advanced streamer site, ITVX, which will encourage people to switch to streaming because their whole series of their original dramas will be on there first. This is much more ambitious than the ITV Hub and it is a further demonstration that broadcasters are anxious to embrace the technology and phase out the old. It makes commercial sense too, because viewers who do not wish to pay a subscription will not be able to fast forward through the adverts. Advertisers will pay more for that and ultimately will steer away from the broadcast channels.
And why would the viewer go down that route over a V6 or a Sky Q?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 18:49   #1293
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

The reason I am of the view that TV channels will cease to exist by 2035 is that nobody will be making programmes available to them, so they will be reliant on their own material. When you say 'complementary' channels, I have to say that I am not yet aware of any plans for a Netflix channel, a Disney channel, an Apple channel, etc. We will get a few FAST channels, at least in the early days but I most certainly wouldn't watch them!

Satellite ain't going anywhere OB dear chap, terrestial on the otherhand will cease in time as mobile bandwidth takes more frequencies.
Satellite will remain in place for many many years as the uk simply does not have the infrastructure for everyone to go online tv only, and it will take a very long time and a huge cost for that to happen.
However we may see the expansion of satellite broadband and the likes of starlink but again those occure huge costs for example starlink is over £650 to get started and then £89p/m afterwards.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 17-48-08 Starlink.png (12.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 16-05-2022, 18:59   #1294
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Satellite ain't going anywhere OB dear chap, terrestial on the otherhand will cease in time as mobile bandwidth takes more frequencies.
Satellite will remain in place for many many years as the uk simply does not have the infrastructure for everyone to go online tv only, and it will take a very long time and a huge cost for that to happen.
However we may see the expansion of satellite broadband and the likes of starlink but again those occure huge costs for example starlink is over £650 to get started and then £89p/m afterwards.
Some of us have been making the point about broadband infrastructure literally for years in this and other similar threads. You’re wasting your keyboard time - there’s no telling him.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 20:21   #1295
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
The broadband rollout should be finished by then! Where do you think the terrestrials will go if broadcast frequencies are no longer available?
If the terrestrials go IPTV, you can bet your life that Sky won’t continue to offer TV channels as they exist now.

I can’t see Sky keeping their satellite system going forever. It must be far cheaper to use IPTV than keep paying for all that transponder space for a start.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Some of us have been making the point about broadband infrastructure literally for years in this and other similar threads. You’re wasting your keyboard time - there’s no telling him.
Chris, you and others have been poo-pooing the idea of streaming becoming the most favoured means of access to content and eventually taking over altogether for many years. You even said at one stage that we didn’t have sufficient electricity supplies to provide large scale on demand programming.

It’s not going to happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen, and it’s the government’s intention that the whole country will be broadband connected over the next few years.
Old 16-05-2022, 21:27   #1296
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
The broadband rollout should be finished by then! Where do you think the terrestrials will go if broadcast frequencies are no longer available?
If the terrestrials go IPTV, you can bet your life that Sky won’t continue to offer TV channels as they exist now.

I can’t see Sky keeping their satellite system going forever. It must be far cheaper to use IPTV than keep paying for all that transponder space for a start.

Chris, you and others have been poo-pooing the idea of streaming becoming the most favoured means of access to content and eventually taking over altogether for many years. You even said at one stage that we didn’t have sufficient electricity supplies to provide large scale on demand programming.

It’s not going to happen today or tomorrow, but it will happen, and it’s the government’s intention that the whole country will be broadband connected over the next few years.
OB dear chap i used to work in the industry until a few months back and i'm still very much in touch with old collegues. Terrestial tv will be moved to satellite eventually it will not go to online only not in our lifetime anyway.
FTTP is a very slow progress and you have to take into account isolated homes too less than 31% of the UK has access to fftp, i live in a big city and they've only just finished laying it down here via city fibre, we are a very long way from the uk being ready for all tv to go online.
Just because itv are launching a new and improved online service doesn't mean they are going online only, they are simply increasing their revenue channels.
Old 16-05-2022, 21:33   #1297
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

This bit in bold isn’t actually relevant. You’re portraying us as taking an extreme stance - which of course we are not. Almost everyone, perhaps even everyone, accepts on demand growth is happening and will continue. We simply don’t see it reaching 100% in the completely arbitrary timescale you present.

As for the Government’s broadband aspirations they have no such thing as a plan for the “whole country”, and it’d be generous to call what plans they do have as deliverable “in the next few years”.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...update#summary

Quote:
Very Hard to Reach Premises
Our procurements will maximise the coverage of gigabit-capable infrastructure, however we know that it will be unaffordable to provide gigabit coverage to all premises in the UK.

For those very hard to reach (VHTR) premises that will not be reached through the Project Gigabit procurements, the government is today publishing its response to the call for evidence on improving connectivity for very hard to reach premises — summarising the information received by respondents and the most frequently expressed points of view. This response is the first step in delivering improved connectivity to these premises and further policy proposals will be set out in due course.

Last edited by jfman; 16-05-2022 at 22:35.
Old 16-05-2022, 21:48   #1298
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Actually we don’t even have the capacity in the national grid to support total electrification of road traffic, and that’s something we know is going to happen over the next 15 years because, unlike your fantasy shift to IPTV, it is stated government policy (as anything profoundly affecting national infrastructure ought to be).

The data source for the power requirement of an entirely IP-driven TV service is buried somewhere in one of the old threads and frankly I’m not going to be your dancing monkey and go and find it again for you. When facts are inconvenient to you, you simply ignore them anyway, so it would be a waste of my time - it’s clear from your comment above that in your head you’ve managed to remember I said something but conveniently forgotten that the claim was evidenced. Yes, I did even say that at one stage. Because it’s a fact.

If you fancy educating yourself about the challenges faced worldwide by power grid managers, go and feast your eyes on this. Just in the UK our total annual energy consumption is expected to hit 450 terawatt-hours before 2050 (it’s a little over 300TWh at the moment). https://eelpower.co.uk/challenges-for-the-grid
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 23:37   #1299
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Chris, you and others have been poo-pooing the idea of streaming becoming the most favoured means of access to content and eventually taking over altogether for many years.
for what it's worth dude I agree with you. It sounds like we are in the minority so we can go down together.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 00:43   #1300
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
for what it's worth dude I agree with you. It sounds like we are in the minority so we can go down together.
Yes. As they say, there are none so blind…
Old 17-05-2022, 06:34   #1301
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Quite.
Old 17-05-2022, 12:43   #1302
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Keep 'em coming Old Boy!

This one put a smile on my face this morning.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 14:14   #1303
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Honestly I really don't care how I get my fix as long as I do
Old 17-05-2022, 18:22   #1304
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So now Netflix is looking to live stream some content , wonder what they plan next……………..channels

https://gizmodo.com/netflix-live-str...1848933038/amp
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 18:40   #1305
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So now Netflix is looking to live stream some content , wonder what they plan next……………..channels

https://gizmodo.com/netflix-live-str...1848933038/amp
It’s almost like there’s a benefit in people watching the exact same thing at the exact same time.

I wonder what the lowest cost, most energy efficient method of such a transmission would be.