Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Old 18-05-2021, 11:14   #106
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

[/COLOR]What do people think Apple TV + next move will be they are certainly short on content.
Suing someone saying Apple did it first somehow and making them give all their content in reparation hehehe
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2021, 11:34   #107
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
On the BBC as well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57153680

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

What do people think Apple TV + next move will be they are certainly short on content.
They’ll probably stay on the course they’re at right now - while others are desperately aiming for scale and breadth I think they’ll just build their tv platform at a steady pace, picking up star driven projects like Killers of The Flower Moon and prestige shows like Masters Of The Air… not sure I agree with the idea that’s they’re ‘short on content’ - they’re not likely to make a big acquisition of a catalogue and more likely to divert that money to more original material that’s more old school HBO that’s driven by quality and quantity.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 11:55   #108
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
On the BBC as well

What do people think Apple TV + next move will be they are certainly short on content.
For a long time I've often thought one of the big US companies would make a move for Sony. Apple could certain afford it and they'd suddenly own TV channels, all kinds of media (audio & video), a nice gaming console as well as electronics and image sensors etc etc
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 12:13   #109
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Question Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
They’ll probably stay on the course they’re at right now - while others are desperately aiming for scale and breadth I think they’ll just build their tv platform at a steady pace, picking up star driven projects like Killers of The Flower Moon and prestige shows like Masters Of The Air… not sure I agree with the idea that’s they’re ‘short on content’ - they’re not likely to make a big acquisition of a catalogue and more likely to divert that money to more original material that’s more old school HBO that’s driven by quality and quantity.
I haven't paid a penny for Apple TV + yet nor would I , there's a reason they haven't charged those who got it free yet and that's because the offering isn't very compelling for the current fiver they charge.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
For a long time I've often thought one of the big US companies would make a move for Sony. Apple could certain afford it and they'd suddenly own TV channels, all kinds of media (audio & video), a nice gaming console as well as electronics and image sensors etc etc
I would pretty much agree , there is certainly a decent acquisition by Apple going to happen at some stage I think.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 12:45   #110
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

The way things are going there could soon be many more rival streaming options to choose from, each charging subscribers a fiver or tenner a month. I currently subscribe to four including my Ultimate Oomph sub. I certainly have choice but at a price. I wonder whether Virgin Media's trial of some kind of umbrella service with many of them in one place is the future.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 12:59   #111
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I haven't paid a penny for Apple TV + yet nor would I , there's a reason they haven't charged those who got it free yet and that's because the offering isn't very compelling for the current fiver they charge.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

I would pretty much agree , there is certainly a decent acquisition by Apple going to happen at some stage I think.
It’s not an existential business for Apple… they’re not Netflix who need to throw $17 Billion a year at content creation and acquisition to remain viable. Truth be told is that they can happily offer it for free while it remains a young service but as long as it remains an attractive part of their ecosystem, driving phone device sales and things like the Apple One Bundle, it’s doing its job… I don’t think Apple need to make some desperate bid for a legacy catalogue they might not be able to properly exploit when they can just opt to attract high end talent and continue to build a slate of original, wholly owned content that is attractive in its own right.

The current craze for M&A is fun to speculate but looking at Apple’s history of acquisitions, I think acquiring a business like Sony doesn’t really track - especially given that the Japanese government would most likely never allow a homegrown company like Sony to be bought lock and stock.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 13:45   #112
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
On the BBC as well

Been a few mumors about Apple wanting Netflix.
Old 18-05-2021, 14:17   #113
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Japan traditionally would not allow a key company like Sony to be acquired.

US management culture is not keen on conglomerates like Sony which is strong in games software, music publishing, recorded music, film, consumer electronics, industry electronics eg Hawkeye, hardware, chips and sensors but it's made a success of many of these areas.

However, its streaming strategy seems to be behind its peers. This is despite making the TVs, the content (owns Columbia) and owned the pioneering Crackle at one stage. It will be interesting to see how the consolidation impacts Sony.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 14:40   #114
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Up to 4.99 a month for my Now TV.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 21:45   #115
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 22:42   #116
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Quote:
You're on a £1.00 a month offer until 26 Jun 2021.
I'll see what they decide to offer me. Now Comcast's financial year end has passed (31/12) they may be less generous.
Old 19-05-2021, 18:23   #117
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I was £3.99 before cancelling outright, so they might have me down as a high roller
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 19:17   #118
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I was £3.99 before cancelling outright, so they might have me down as a high roller
It's normally £1 when you cancel...except for viewers in Scotland.
Old 22-05-2021, 20:57   #119
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Fox UK closing down on June 30th, with shows like The Walking Dead, War of the Worlds, The Orville and American Horror Story moving to Disney+.

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2021/05/2...s-the-orville/
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 02:48   #120
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Fox UK closing down on June 30th, with shows like The Walking Dead, War of the Worlds, The Orville and American Horror Story moving to Disney+.

https://www.geektown.co.uk/2021/05/2...s-the-orville/
Better get used to it, I’m afraid. This is only the beginning.