Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2019, 15:42   #1621
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I've voted for MPs without worrying about their views on Europe as until now, it's been a non-issue at the elections I've voted in. It will clearly be an issue with MPs like Kate Hoey and John Redwood whose views on this issue are at odds with their constituents. Ditto Remain MPs in leave-voting areas, But an election might be a little way off.
You are rationalising without knowing anything about the constituency. I’ve canvassed on the doorstep and know what I’m talking about.

Your argument smacks of the typical Remainer’s rhetoric: the leave voters didn’t know then what they know now; ignoring that the leavers would have taken into account the forecasts of calamity in the guvmin;s brochure.

It would be better if you stuck to what you can substantiate.

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2019, 16:26   #1622
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You are rationalising without knowing anything about the constituency. I’ve canvassed on the doorstep and know what I’m talking about.

Your argument smacks of the typical Remainer’s rhetoric: the leave voters didn’t know then what they know now; ignoring that the leavers would have taken into account the forecasts of calamity in the guvmin;s brochure.

It would be better if you stuck to what you can substantiate.

Honoured as I am, I think you may have quoted my post instead of someone else's.
Old 14-04-2019, 16:33   #1623
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Honoured as I am, I think you may have quoted my post instead of someone else's.
Honoured that you are honoured. I know what you mean but it was your post that I read and was moved to reply!

My reply is equally applicable to Ian!

Old 14-04-2019, 22:50   #1624
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Honoured that you are honoured. I know what you mean but it was your post that I read and was moved to reply!

My reply is equally applicable to Ian!

Joking aside, if you re-visit my post you will see that your comments aren't really relevant to my post.

For example your statements
- "the leave voters didn’t know then what they know now" doesn't make sense as I'm not talking about leavers, I've referenced the voting intentions of constituencies where the MP voted for/against Brexit in a different way to the majority of the constituents.
"You are rationalising without knowing anything about the constituency." I don't doubt your knowledge of the constituency as a resident, canvasser and friend of John Redwood's. However, I do think that sitting MPs in constituencies like his will be severely tested where their views on Brexit differ from that of their constituents if an election occurred soon. I've also made the point that this applies both ways, eg if there is a Remain MP in a Leave constituency.
Old 15-04-2019, 08:10   #1625
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Joking aside, if you re-visit my post you will see that your comments aren't really relevant to my post.

- "the leave voters didn’t know then what they know now" doesn't make sense as I'm not talking about leavers, I've referenced the voting intentions of constituencies where the MP voted for/against Brexit in a different way to the majority of the constituents.
"You are rationalising without knowing anything about the constituency." I don't doubt your knowledge of the constituency as a resident, canvasser and friend of John Redwood's. However, I do think that sitting MPs in constituencies like his will be severely tested where their views on Brexit differ from that of their constituents if an election occurred soon. I've also made the point that this applies both ways, eg if there is a Remain MP in a Leave constituency.
’the leave voters didn’t know ...’ sentence wasn’t a statement of fact; it was part of a mindset comparison as to arguments used by Remainers in the context of difficulties facing MPs at odds with the Referendum result in their constituencies. It’s a sort of deep point assisting my arguments.

I’m being specific about Redwood; he was specifically mentioned as distinct from other Tories and balance needs tO be restored. Redwood is one of the Remainers’ targets and remember this part of the discussion started with an attack on his wealth in the context of being self serving.

Old 15-04-2019, 20:13   #1626
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I was there on Saturday outside the house of [Mod Edit- derogatory term removed].

The TV studios had packed up and buggered off. The upside they taken that [Mod Edit- derogatory term removed] Steve with them.

There was zero TV coverage and the crowd was relatively behaved.

There was one incident near me when a few [Mod Edit- derogatory term removed] tried to start trouble but the police told them to leave.

There was also some Orangemen who marched up to the Cenotaph. Followed by a load of cops.

Perhaps if there had been trouble the Brexit Biased Corporation might have covered it.

There are now plans to do another protest on the 28th April, same day as the marathon.

Last edited by Hugh; 15-04-2019 at 22:06.
Old 15-04-2019, 21:46   #1627
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Reminder of the opening post by Mick on the previous Brexit thread

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...ghlight=Brexit

Quote:
While opening a new thread on Brexit. It has been noticed over the last few days that, we seem to be falling back in to the pathetic child like arguments, using words such as "Remoaners and Brexstremists".

A person who voted to leave the EU and expects that result to be enacted and leave the EU in it's entirety, they are not a extreme or hard Brexiteer.

So therefore, do not use any kind of extra labeling that can be considered provocative by either side...

...1) Avoid using these provocative terms. Remember CF terms and conditions state members should not provoke other members.

Attitudes towards each other are also unacceptable. The team are sick of the constant same petty arguments day in, day out. Enough is enough. The back biting has to finally stop.

2) Act more civil towards other members, lose the bad attitudes.

Some members are also going ridiculously over old ground, for some reason discussing merits of either leaving or not leaving the EU. Brexit has now become law, the UK is leaving the EU.

As of 27/6/18, Prime Minister Theresa May is still indicating that the UK will be leaving the Customs Union and Single Market.

3) We need to start moving on, stop using Provocative terms towards each other. If this does not happen, this new thread will ultimately be closed (And the persons responsible for it's closure dealt with accordingly).
Inappropriate phrases removed - repetition will invoke the infraction system
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 16-04-2019 at 00:51.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:39   #1628
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

In reality I doubt it. The correct colour rosette voters seem unbothered, as the results in David Cameron's constituency attest. A remain voting parliamentary seat now has an ERG MP, elected twice due to the bi-election.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:52   #1629
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
In reality I doubt it. The correct colour rosette voters seem unbothered, as the results in David Cameron's constituency attest. A remain voting parliamentary seat now has an ERG MP, elected twice due to the bi-election.
I'd change your post quickly if I were you

Seriously, the point you make is the one that matters and is where the denial is. The current system, with the entrenched tribal loyalties on both sides delivers people like Redwood who feel at liberty to push their personal, skewed ideology in opposition to the best interests & wishes of their constituency, party and country.
Old 16-04-2019, 08:56   #1630
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

Seriously, the point you make is the one that matters and is where the denial is. The current system, with the entrenched tribal loyalties on both sides delivers people like Redwood who feel at liberty to push their personal, skewed ideology in opposition to the best interests & wishes of their constituency, party and country.
No. He's carrying out the will of the electorate as voted for in a UK-wide referendum.
Old 16-04-2019, 09:07   #1631
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No. He's carrying out the will of the electorate as voted for in a UK-wide referendum.
He long should an assumed mandate last? I ask because Dave felt it OK to ask the people 'despite' the last vote in the 70's.
Old 16-04-2019, 10:50   #1632
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not his job, he is not part of the Government. His duties as an MP are clear and distinct ..
Old 16-04-2019, 16:06   #1633
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

You once again go well OTT on Redwood.

He was elected in 1987 - are you certain he wanted to push a skewed ideology? He wants a sovereign UK - hardly a skewed ideology. eign that rubbish in, please.

Old 16-04-2019, 21:19   #1634
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You once again go well OTT on Redwood.

He was elected in 1987 - are you certain he wanted to push a skewed ideology? He wants a sovereign UK - hardly a skewed ideology. eign that rubbish in, please.

Seph, sometime's one's proximity and friendships can cloud one's judgments. Whatever Redwood's competence as a city investor, good friend and MP, his reputation has been tainted for lying about the public's views on Brexit.
Redwood: "So, you are flogging a dead horse with this agreement and the public is well ahead of you and the public accept, by a majority now that the best option is just to leave and offer them a free trade deal."
Channel 4 "That is not true. That is not true. John Redwood thank you very much. What you've just said is not true but thank you very much for joining us."
https://www.indy100.com/article/brex...murthy-8857691
Old 16-04-2019, 21:35   #1635
Sephiroth
Simples

One peccadillo does not make him a liar. He was mistaken. From the same interview, the unquestionable truth to the question as to why he did not support May's deal:

"Well, no we couldn't possibly do that because that isn't leaving. The deal is a massively expensive and long delay
Our manifesto promised that within two years the government would negotiate a future partnership as well as any withdrawal issues the EU wanted mentioned or leave without a deal.

Now we must keep our promise and I and my colleagues stand fully behind the manifesto.

We hoped our prime minister did and I would urge her tonight to join us in upholding the manifesto, taking us out proudly on April 12 and agreeing on any remaining things that need agreeing so we have a smooth exit.

There is no cliff edge. There is no disaster and we would have lots of money to spend and we need to spend the money urgently to give our economy a boost at a time when the German and French economies are ailing and the Italian economy is in recession.Well, no we couldn't possibly do that because that isn't leaving. The deal is a massively expensive and long delay.

Our manifesto promised that within two years the government would negotiate a future partnership as well as any withdrawal issues the EU wanted mentioned or leave without a deal.

Now we must keep our promise and I and my colleagues stand fully behind the manifesto.

We hoped our prime minister did and I would urge her tonight to join us in upholding the manifesto, taking us out proudly on April 12 and agreeing on any remaining things that need agreeing so we have a smooth exit.

There is no cliff edge. There is no disaster and we would have lots of money to spend and we need to spend the money urgently to give our economy a boost at a time when the German and French economies are ailing and the Italian economy is in recession."

Closed Thread