Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Climate Change - record World temp. rises in Feb.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Climate Change - record World temp. rises in Feb.

Old 29-11-2019, 10:48   #586
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Climate Change - record World temp. rises in Feb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
It highlights the fact that the predictions are not exactly reliable. At one point the talk was all about acid rain. Then they discovered the predictions didn't come true(eg half of New York state's forests were going to disappear) and that most of it came from natural sources.
It's not like they've ever been wrong before:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/18-sp...e-this-year-3/
Old 29-11-2019, 13:32   #587
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It's not like they've ever been wrong before:

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/18-sp...e-this-year-3/
Well done for finding this, Pierre. These examples show why I have been so skeptical of these wild climate predictions from people who should know better.

We fall for them every time, don't we? Everyone always listens to the 'end of the world' brigade, despite the fact that none of them have ever been right over the centuries.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2019, 14:33   #588
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well done for finding this, Pierre. These examples show why I have been so skeptical of these wild climate predictions from people who should know better.

We fall for them every time, don't we? Everyone always listens to the 'end of the world' brigade, despite the fact that none of them have ever been right over the centuries.
Well, in the last 50 years, computing power has progressed logarithmically, with more data being able to be stored and analysed, so the predictions now can be done quicker and more accurately.

The people at the time were working on the information they had at the time (except Erlich, who was a scaremonger and was just getting publicity for his books) - we have much more extensive datasets and computing power to forecast probabilities now.

I suppose you could be right - 97% of climate scientists are pulling a scam, and if it wasn't for those plucky little mining and energy companies fighting the good fight against Big Science, they would be getting away with wanting us, and our children, clean air and water, and cheaper renewable energy...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 09:35   #589
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The climate extremes itself every 5000 years or so. What’s the big deal if we’ve brought that forward by a couple of hundred years?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 10:04   #590
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, in the last 50 years, computing power has progressed logarithmically, with more data being able to be stored and analysed, so the predictions now can be done quicker and more accurately.
Using the same old alogorithum.

Quote:
Wigley started working on climate science full-time in 1975 and created one of the first climate models (MAGICC) in 1987. It remains one of the main climate models in use today.

Link
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 16:42   #591
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

And the quotes given were from 1970, and his model was first used in 1987...

It's a model, not an algorithm - models are made up of many algorithms, which are constantly reviewed and modified...

From the MAGICC wiki
Quote:
MAGICC was originally developed by Tom Wigley (National Centre for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, US, and University of Adelaide, Australia) and Sarah Raper (Manchester Metropolitan University, UK) in the late 1980s and continuously developed since then.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 09:16   #592
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Watching a bit of the 20/20 cricket in Canberra. There's a danger of fire stopping play, which is a new one, the bush fire smoke is dangerously close.
Flooding here as well. Maybe when the Aussies evacuate to the UK we'll do something as we're still ignoring the issue.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

And play has been suspended. God knows how asthmatics are coping.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 09:47   #593
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Watching a bit of the 20/20 cricket in Canberra. There's a danger of fire stopping play, which is a new one, the bush fire smoke is dangerously close.
Flooding here as well. Maybe when the Aussies evacuate to the UK we'll do something as we're still ignoring the issue.

---------- Post added at 09:16 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

And play has been suspended. God knows how asthmatics are coping.
This should cheer you up, yesterday i was in a line of traffic and the car in front was a nissan leaf proudly boasting zero emissions,the first electric car i have seen around here and it was a taxi.
Old 21-12-2019, 10:57   #594
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There are Leafs all over the place around here, a few BMW i3s around too, and I normally pass at least one Tesla a week. The Tesla model 3 looks very smart.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 11:29   #595
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There are Leafs all over the place around here, a few BMW i3s around too, and I normally pass at least one Tesla a week. The Tesla model 3 looks very smart.
Lots of Tesla’s around here. Electric cars make sense as a 2nd car but until they can 600miles on 1no. Charge and can re-charge quickly i’ll Stick to my Diesel.

Mrs Pierre just got a 5.0 V8 Mustang, might as well, we may be the last generation that can!
Old 21-12-2019, 11:57   #596
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Lots of Tesla’s around here. Electric cars make sense as a 2nd car but until they can 600miles on 1no. Charge and can re-charge quickly i’ll Stick to my Diesel.

Mrs Pierre just got a 5.0 V8 Mustang, might as well, we may be the last generation that can!
Now that’s a car designed to be parked outside the Green Party conference and revved, repeatedly

I think Tesla are just about there with their range and proprietary rapid charging network but you pay quite a premium for it. As for the rest of them, a Leaf sounds practical most of the time, most of the year, but I hear horror stories about them in the dead of a Scottish winter. The range just vanishes.

I take a 250 mile road trip probably twice a year and I’d be happy enough to do it with a 40 minute charging break in the middle. I like to recharge with caffeine anyway. But occasionally - rarely, but occasionally - I go further. As things stand I could drive right down to the south coast in one day in whatever car I happened to own without any problems. Nobody is going to persuade me that in future, being able to go on a long distance road trip is a privilege to be enjoyed only those who can afford a premium car.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 08:11   #597
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Now the shite's hit the fan. The affluent have realised that climate change will decimate their pensions and investments.... Now it's important all of a sudden ! Being wealthy will be no protection, well there's a surprise.
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a9263861.html
Quote:
Climate breakdown could render investments held by millions of people “worthless”, the outgoing governor of the Bank of England has warned.

Mark Carney suggested the financial sector had not yet woken up to the looming crisis and was “not moving fast enough” to divest from fossil fuels.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:54   #598
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Now the shite's hit the fan. The affluent have realised that climate change will decimate their pensions and investments.... Now it's important all of a sudden ! Being wealthy will be no protection, well there's a surprise.
https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a9263861.html
Like Mark Carney has a good record with his predictions! I don't think I shall be losing much sleep over this one.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 09:59   #599
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Like Mark Carney has a good record with his predictions! I don't think I shall be losing much sleep over this one.
Climate Change is not a prediction , its a clear fact...
Old 30-12-2019, 10:10   #600
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Climate Change is not a prediction , its a clear fact...
I must say how taken aback i am by all the science and proof you have attached to that opinion